• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Council / social housing offer

Inca

I guess though i hope the person who harassed you also got an eviction notice, particuarly if they are an healthy male who could probably get housing anywhere! I'd be reporting the landlord person and the other person myself for bullying and intimidation or something as a disabled female!

But as you say at least if you can get out there and get some security in a council tenancy, you may get some good out of it.

I was first in a one bedroom flat and the first night I was there I'd gone out to get some takeaway(as had no oven yet) and came back to find the police all over the car park behind and a body shape drawn on the ground!..someone had been shot! :jaw-drop: not what you want to see your first night alone in a strange place!

I managed to get moved due to not having disabled access in a fire and them being unable to extend the property out to extend the bathroom. This is a nicer area though some of the neighbours were snobbish at first as they had protested to having social housing built on the bottom of their estate.

Emmarose47

I guess though i hope the person who harassed you also got an eviction notice, particuarly if they are an healthy male who could probably get housing anywhere! I'd be reporting the landlord person and the other person myself for bullying and intimidation or something as a disabled female!

But as you say at least if you can get out there and get some security in a council tenancy, you may get some good out of it.

I was first in a one bedroom flat and the first night I was there I'd gone out to get some takeaway(as had no oven yet) and came back to find the police all over the car park behind and a body shape drawn on the ground!..someone had been shot! :jaw-drop: not what you want to see your first night alone in a strange place!

I managed to get moved due to not having disabled access in a fire and them being unable to extend the property out to extend the bathroom. This is a nicer area though some of the neighbours were snobbish at first as they had protested to having social housing built on the bottom of their estate.
Ah Inca
No he didn't get eviction ...
Reporting to where ?
I've spoken to the Disabilty forum and other charities .
The police have it on record .
The landlady has every right to serve a section 21 notice with no reason ( even though clearly there is a reason.
To note the government are working on eradicating section 21 notices in the UK . Also, private tenant having more rights and rental caps etc.
There really legally isn't a leg to stand on .
Besides I don't want to fight with these people. I've done all the fighting and voicing I'm tired . An agency is dealing with the legalities and the housing officer, charity , local MP office and advocate are working well to support my case .
When it's apparent there is a goldfish in a pond of eels just best to jump to a better pond hey !

I'm very blessed with what has happened .
Gold out of a mucky situation .
Some arnt so fortunate ....

PhoenixDown

Before I moved in to my current home, I desperately needed a doctor's note to assist me with my housing application. My old house was noisy, dusty(I have a severe allergy to dust), mouldy, had a steep flight of steps, and had two massive steps to get to the bathroom. I was being deprived of good sleep for many years, by 2013 walking down steps caused me permanent worsening but none of the GP's in my area believed me. I never got moved in to appropriate accommodation in time and as a result I am now 100% bed bound.

My old doctor told me, "You can't be that ill, you've only got CFS" when I explained I couldn't get to his office for an appointment and needed a home visit.

There is a treatment for ME, it's consideration.

Inca

I’m in council housing. Didn’t have much choice about what I got. But luckily I like it and I like the feeling of security.

I have to admit I didn't really understand the procedure at all. I had social workers and my PA at the time helping with the paperwork. They just brought me to see it and it was a new build by my HA so no-one else has ever lived here. I liked the good sized garden which I think I got cos I had a dog who was in training to be my assistance dog. Lots of playing fields etc that I can access with scooter, though it is expensive to get a wheelchair taxi into town and a long way which caused problems when the vestibular issues made me feel really travel sick in fast moving vehicles. Haven't been to town for over 5 years and it's 3 years since I went out for a meal or to a smaller shopping centre cos of covid. I remember cos it was my 50th! ..the year before pandemic started.

lenora

Let's hope you find nice neighbors when you move. Then all will be well. I'm so relieved that you have a place and look forward to hearing of happier days in your future (after the battle of the move, however). Yours, L.

Emmarose47

I’m not really sure what that is. I just bid on things and was eventually offered a place. I didn’t get much choice over what to bid on though.
A direct offer is when you don't have choice at all they give you something .
I could have gone for it but decided against it .

Emmarose47

Before I moved in to my current home, I desperately needed a doctor's note to assist me with my housing application. My old house was noisy, dusty(I have a severe allergy to dust), mouldy, had a steep flight of steps, and had two massive steps to get to the bathroom. I was being deprived of good sleep for many years, by 2013 walking down steps caused me permanent worsening but none of the GP's in my area believed me. I never got moved in to appropriate accommodation in time and as a result I am now 100% bed bound.

My old doctor told me, "You can't be that ill, you've only got CFS" when I explained I couldn't get to his office for an appointment and needed a home visit.

There is a treatment for ME, it's consideration.
So sad to hear this Phoenix ...
If it's any consolation at all the council arnt really listening to my doc / hospital profs ..
I've got priority because of homelessness and harrassment . They didn't award me a banding for my health even though I'm 50% bedbound and full housebound in appropriate housing steep stairs blah blah etc et.c.

Inca

Moving is stressful, as you probably have some time (maybe if you can on better days) try and sort a few things each day into a box ..(can buy packs of moving boxes on ebay). I don't know if you have any help at all? friends or family who could spare an hour at weekend to help you pack a box?

Maybe also research 'cat rescue' so you will know where to go as soon as you find your new home to find a new companion in need of a loving owner. Older cats may probably be less exhausting but if you're set on a young kitten, many kittens are born into rescue when the mother cat has been rescued from being abandoned etc.

Emmarose47

Moving is stressful, as you probably have some time (maybe if you can on better days) try and sort a few things each day into a box ..(can buy packs of moving boxes on ebay). I don't know if you have any help at all? friends or family who could spare an hour at weekend to help you pack a box?

Maybe also research 'cat rescue' so you will know where to go as soon as you find your new home to find a new companion in need of a loving owner. Older cats may probably be less exhausting but if you're set on a young kitten, many kittens are born into rescue when the mother cat has been rescued from being abandoned etc.
Ah yes I have it all under control thanks ☺️
Been slow packing since March

Inca

I won't be getting a car for a while ....its going to take some signif time to sort myself out in no doubt a lengthy flare .....

I don't have the co-ordination to drive. I did try some time ago,..easily passed the theory at the time as my memory wasn't so bad..but even in an adapted vehicle I struggled plus having to lip-read a total stranger using a mirror (the examiner) to follow their instructions, remember everything you've been taught and manage to co-ordinate everything....epic multi-tasking task with both ataxia and hearing difficulties!!

So mobility scooter only for me! (or powerchair but they cost more!)

Rufous McKinney

gosh, around here in the US, there isn't much of anything called Social Housing ...

In this very small town, one apartment complex is for people who wait many years on a waiting list, and its mostly either seniors or disabled.

Everything else is max retail.

they return government money that was supposed to be used to create housing.