• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Council / social housing offer

Emmarose47

Hi I'm currently in a shared house situation . Earlier in the yr I was experiencing harrassment from one of the tenants and subsequently got an eviction order from the landlady . Turns out she didn't submit the correct paperwork . Since then I have been given priority of the council / social housing list moving from a band 4 to 2.
They are saying instead of me facing the homelessness route that I consider having a direct offer . This would need to meet disabilty requirements and if it didn't can then dispute ...
However could be put in an area that's not good etc ... So its a bit of a lottery and could be either a nice property, average or grim .
I'm currently getting them to add level access shower onto my file as the OT is coming to assess that and give me a shower chair . As I've been opened up to accessing over 50s properties which is positive they mostly only have shower no bath . It looks if I bid on those I'll be higher up the list so want to check that route out first ...
If landlady serves notice it will be about 4 mths before it's eviction day so I have time it seems .

Anyone been through issues with home using government services ? Be good to hear your stories and outcomes ....

Last edited:

Emmarose47

Good luck! That sounds like a scary situation. I'm glad you are in a location in which it sounds like they help people prevent becoming houseless.
Thanks booble
Yep my other housing worker is saying it's unusual to get a direct offer at my stage in the process ...however it isn't accepted yet and so poss it could be rejected ?
In the UK whilst services can be great they also can really fail people .
There is massive housing crisis in my city as is the case in many cities and seeing homeless people on the streets is a familiar sight .

I'm v grateful that I am getting all the support I am but it's complex system to navigate .

andyguitar

I consider having a direct offer .
Anyone been through issues with home using government services ?
I know a few who have..... Can be a bit long winded but as there is a shortage of Social housing and you have a chance of a Direct Offer I would have a go for it. How easy the process will be depends on what the Housing officer you deal with is like. Some can be helpful and like to help others not so good. Having an OT on your side will be a help and you will probably need something from your GP.

Booble

Well, at least they try to offer some help. I hope it works out for you.
In the US if you qualify for housing assistance it's usually that you are tagged as Section 8 meaning the govt. will pay part or all of your rent. But of course with so many people looking for housing, if you are Section 8 you are less likely to be selected by the home owner.

Do landlords have to give a 4-month notice?

Emmarose47

Well, at least they try to offer some help. I hope it works out for you.
In the US if you qualify for housing assistance it's usually that you are tagged as Section 8 meaning the govt. will pay part or all of your rent. But of course with so many people looking for housing, if you are Section 8 you are less likely to be selected by the home owner.

Do landlords have to give a 4-month notice?
Hi booble yep it's the same here with private let's ... People on gov support stand v little chance ...
Landlords here can serve a section 21 no fault notice which means they don't need a reason . Because of the housing crash and inflation many landlords are exciting tenants to get new ones in with inflated rent cost - lovely ..
It used to be 1mth notice now is 2

Emmarose47

I know a few who have..... Can be a bit long winded but as there is a shortage of Social housing and you have a chance of a Direct Offer I would have a go for it. How easy the process will be depends on what the Housing officer you deal with is like. Some can be helpful and like to help others not so good. Having an OT on your side will be a help and you will probably need something from your GP.
Yep I'm in the system so have all the evidence in ...
Going for a direct offer is playing roulette so I'm scoping my option of ot saying level access shower and the over 50s properties with this have less people bidding ..
Id rather wait longer for choice if I can .
Some social housing is v nice some grim .

Inca

Did you find out if they have a new place for you yet @Emmarose47 ?

when I had my original neuro problems in my 30's my flat was not wheelchair accessible and I could not have got out with my wheelchair in the event of a fire so they put me on a list..still it was 2 years wait even though I was with an HA and the new properties were also theirs.

I've heard its more complicated now with people having to bid online? I just filled out a form and got medical evidence from my neurologist. Not sure what the procedure is for a direct offer?

Emmarose47

Hi Inca
Thanks for checking in ..
Yes it's called ' Homechoice ' now and you go on and bid for any property u like . The system then puts you in number of priority and needs
There hasn't been anything for me to bid on this past 2 wks .. the last bid I made was for a nice over 50s apartment I ended number 8.

I have priority for Ground floor level access and am trying to get them to sort my file to say level access shower at the mo it says bath / shower. I can use a bath but not always .

E

Inca

Hi Inca
Thanks for checking in ..
Yes it's called ' Homechoice ' now and you go on and bid for any property u like . The system then puts you in number of priority and needs
There hasn't been anything for me to bid on this past 2 wks .. the last bid I made was for a nice over 50s apartment I ended number 8.

I have priority for Ground floor level access and am trying to get them to sort my file to say level access shower at the mo it says bath / shower. I can use a bath but not always .

E

That sounds complicated! Don't know if I could cope with that! Don't they meet you to see your situation before deciding what number in the queue you should be?

I guess if you did get a bath you could get OT to see about a bath lift? or if you would be allowed to remove it and replace it with a walk-in shower unit with seat or something?

Emmarose47

Yes there is still assessment ....that determines which band u are in ....
1,2,3,4 .
I'm band 2 which is a high priority band ..
Band 1 is near impossible to get

Emmarose47

Thanks both ...
@lenora I kinda feel over it if u know what I mean . I've been such a wreck this past yr that I think my nerves and fear has been shaken to another planet . For now anyway ...
I feel more focused on I'm going to get my own nice place , make it home and live in my own energy . I feel v blessed this is going to happen to me. The current climate in the UK re housing is dire ( as many places ) and I hear so many stories of people in v difficult situations .

Bit that's all said and I have some stability over the m.e at the mo ... Things will be tougher when I'm flaring and getting downstairs is a mountain ☺️

Emmarose47

But it's the quiet before the storm ...
As soon as that eviction letter comes from the court it's gonna be a different story ....
Losing my home of 6 yrs ...the room where I've spent so much time flaring up ..
I'm gonna need a lot of trust and grounding

Emmarose47

Surely your landlord/lady can see the situation you are in and can agree to allow you to stay until you get offered somewhere suitable, without putting you through the stress of eviction letters from court?
Oh now that would be a civil thing wouldn't it ...
The landlady served me a tenancy eviction after I had been receiving harrassment for one of the house tenants . I needed to get the police involved . 3 days later I got served notice . It's called a no fault notice so landlords don't need a reason . It now has gone to court for a repossession order as I didn't move out on the termination date .
It's a business decision on her part I think as now she can get another male in and not have a female in the picture .

Having a heart doesn't come into the picture . I am her longest serving tenant ( 6 yrs and she knows I have chronic health .

In a bad way it all is a good thing as I doubt I would have got so high on the housing list without what's happened ...
I'm going to get my own place and in the current climate that's a really good thing.

I've been renting for 30 yrs ( makes me feel a bit I'll ) so the fact I'll be out of the private rental sector and have some security and low rent via the council feels good