• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Wisdom of Kabbalah

Sherpa

Ex-workaholic adrenaline junkie
I got very sick around 2011. I was mostly housebound and had chronic inflammation in my brain that made each and every day a miserable ordeal to get through. I suffered terribly for years of not working or being able to socialize, not even able to read too much as my brain didn't think clearly. One night around 2015 I saw the following video on the air of a local Jewish TV channel:

^^^ This explains:
  • why we are born
  • purpose of life is
  • why life has so much suffering
etc... in clear and explicit detail rather than platitudes and metaphysics. I found it to be more enlightening than Buddhism, meditation, etc - for me personally. It was a huge revelation.

While I had a hard understanding this video due to my brain fog at the time, I decided that I wanted to understand it and with great determination set forth to study kabbalah, the science of connection.

I have studied for 5 years since then and it has completely changed my life and also the way I think about CFS/ME... from a severe curse and a life of isolation... to a "descent".... where I reached a very low place to develop a deep desire and true prayer for help that actually raised me higher than before my illness. It brought me to connection and spirituality.

I came to see my illness as a blessing in that if I had been busy making money at my old career and having lots of fun, I would never never learned about kabbalah or discovered why I was here. I would just have been distracted and running in a rat race of temporary, fleeting pleasures.

Last edited:

Viala

It is refreshing to see how spirituality can help, if that's the proper word to use.

This can be interesting, 6 hours. Right on time. Speaking of which, can you tell what is the concept of time in Kabbalah? Some concepts I find really beautiful, like Ain Soph Aur.

Rufous McKinney

I came to see my illness as a blessing in that if I had been busy making money at my old career and having lots of fun, I would never never learned about kabbalah or discovered why I was here. I would just have been distracted and running in a rat race of temporary, fleeting pleasures.

thank you so much for sharing this important message. I look forward to checking it out....Wisdom arrives, and we have opportunities to notice, and pay more attention.

This illness is the gift of Attention. We can attend to things others are too busy missing.

I recognize a similar theme in my life.

YippeeKi YOW !!

This illness is the gift of Attention. We can attend to things others are too busy missing.

I recognize a similar theme in my life.
I've been putting this thought out here for almost three years, sometimes being accused of 'toxic positivity', sometimes of being a witless Pollyanna.

But without this illness, there are parts o myself I would nver have encountered, aspects I would never have further developed, and depths of understanding I never would have reached.

Maybe it's time to pick up this theme in my posts again, if I can just dodge the incoming :):):)....

YippeeKi YOW !!

I decided that I wanted to understand it and with great determination set forth to study kabbalah, the science of connection.
I agree. The Kabbalah is a fascinating resource, with links to everything from philosophy and religion to astrology and numerology.

The difficulty with it is that there are almost as many schools of thought on it as there are branches and sub-branches to
The Tree of Life ....

Where did you study it, or what school's approach did you use?

Viala

Well said. I wish I never got sick, but... thanks to this illness I have somewhat more time to pursue my interests. If I would lead a regular life, going to work, being social, having more day to day activities, I wouldn't have enough time to learn about many things in such depth. I guess it's a silver lining to it. Having this time is precious.

Sherpa

I agree. The Kabbalah is a fascinating resource. Where did you study it, or what school's approach did you use?

I watched all the classes in the above linked video and then went on to sign up for online classes with this teacher (and others on a similar level to him) at KabU.

Overall it has been a great experience with a lot of interpersonal connection and transformation. As I had CFS I studied at my own pace / whatever I could manage and took it fairly slow.

When I first started to study kabbalah I thought that it was an intellectual pursuit and it would make me smarter. What actually changed was my heart, feeling more love and compassion for others than I ever thought I would.

Last edited:

Sherpa

It is refreshing to see how spirituality can help, if that's the proper word to use.

This can be interesting, 6 hours. Right on time. Speaking of which, can you tell what is the concept of time in Kabbalah? Some concepts I find really beautiful, like Ain Soph Aur.

From what I understand space and time in something that only exists "down here" in the human level of perception and in the Upper Worlds it does not exist. Just like we see the world as flat, that does not make it so, and from a higher level (e.g. from a space ship) it does not look flat.

Viala

From what I understand space and time in something that only exists "down here" in the human level of perception and in the Upper Worlds it does not exist. Just like we see the world as flat, that does not make it so, and from a higher level (e.g. from a space ship) it does not look flat.

Interesting, Upper Worlds as in beyond the Tree of Life, starting with three veils beyond it, I suppose. So maybe we could say that it represents space and time, physical manifestion. I would need to dive in to see how it cross links with other symbols and meanings, I know this system but from a different point of view. Anyway, concept of existence 'beyond time' which also means 'at all times and simultaneously' is intriguing, samely puzzling to imagine as for two-dimensional beings would be to imagine 3D world.

When I first started to study kabbalah I thought that it was an intellectual pursuit and it would make me smarter. What actually changed was my heart, feeling more love and compassion for others than I ever thought I would.

That definitely encourages to get to know it better.

I know the feeling that you describe, I've been on a similar journey but using different schools of thought, it has changed my life tremendously.

YippeeKi YOW !!

@splusholia
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: :woot::woot: :hug::hug: ...
Life delivers its gifts in sooooo many ...... interesting ..... ways ...

None the less, on my good days, I'm grateful for the present. In every sense of that word ...and no pun intnded. It ust kinda happened. Like this pathological Pandora's Box of an illness. FOr which I'm still grateful, with just the lightest touch of deep resentment and general pissed-offed-ness.

Hey, I'm only human ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

I watched all the classes in the above linked video and then went on to sign up for online classes with this teacher (and others on a similar level to him) at KabU.
I can;t play the video due to computer issues that I've beaten my head bloody against the ranks of customer service and IT reps who are hired for the specific purpose of pretending to help you in chirpy upbeat tones, while leaving you with the exact same issues and problems you had when you called them for help, so I hvae no idea what school of Kabbalah, and was hoping you could tell me ....

YippeeKi YOW !!

is'nt it time to nuke that device? I've worn the letters off many keys here on my "spiffy new" and barely works laptop....
Yeah, probably is. But the effort of researching new computers and trying to avoid crap like Cortana et al while clinging to my deeply loved Word 2010 is just so far above my pay grade right now that I hang with my equally loved Toshiba trooper, many of whose keys are intrigungly letterless, like yours ....

The day will come, and when it does, I'll have Gizmo II bronzed and hang it on the wall. It's been such a loyal and tough little soldier, with it's huge screen and previously BRILLIANT Blaupunkt speaker/sound system that it deserves an honorable memorial .....