• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Where do viruses hide in the human body?

SWAlexander

Where different viruses hide.
"The question of how SARS-CoV-2 persists in the body has refocused scientists on the question of where viruses persist in humans more generally. Andy Extance summarises a complex situation"

On special mention:

What about other postviral syndromes?​

Various viruses, including parvovirus B19 and Epstein-Barr, have been linked to triggering myalgic encephalomyelitis (chronic fatigue syndrome or ME/CFS).20 However, as with long covid, Griffin says that “there may likely be more than one different kind of infection that can lead to that particular syndrome.”

It’s hard to disentangle connections with persistent viruses. “We have a big advantage with long covid in that we have a much better understanding of the virus and we have a lot of people to study,” she says. “We can hope that all that attention will result in a better understanding that can be applied to these other syndromes.”

Another positive development is the spotlight now being shone on virus reservoirs because of the pandemic. “This has not been an area that has received much attention until now,” says Griffin. In her opinion, research into SARS-CoV-2 is likely to teach humanity about older viruses, particularly the role of persistent RNA.
Read all: https://www.bmj.com/content/382/bmj.p1156

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Although I’m happy this is making it into spotlight, it is absolutely STUNNING to me that millions of dollars and years of research have not led research here sooner.

This is so obvious and blatant and irresponsible the me/cfs community hasn’t leaned more into this.

It is well known in Lyme community these persister bacteria and viruses are incredibly intelligent and efficient at hiding in organs, endothelial cell walls, cranial nerves etc. testing can hardly even begin to capture some of these.

I truly feel we have to stop compartmentalizing all of these very similar illnesses so we ALLOW ourselves to see the entire picture quicker. The separation and compartmentalization is really taking a toll on humanity and finding a way to the center of these illnesses.

Anyways, thank you for sharing. I feel this is a HUGE area for me/cfs. And I do hope it gets the attention and research it deserves. That we all deserve.