• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Weird Acetylcaenitine reaction

Dysfunkion

Can anyone help explain my reaction to alcar? People said it's great for energy and they feel really stimulated on it but for me it has the complete opposite effect. The day before yesterday morning I took 500 mg, no other ingredients besides the fillers I'm fine with. I got slightly more mentally clear but then overhwlmed with fatigue and very easily winded. As the day went on it got worse with my digestive system feeling pretty bloated and very headachy but started tapering off later. Yesterday I felt largely the same but as the day went on very slight improvements and today I'm a bit better but still pretty malaise feeling and a bit headachy. What could explain this reaction? I thought about the effects on the thyroid but would that really happen from a single dose? Currently also taking methyl-b12 2000 mcg, magnesium malate 100mg, mk7 k2 100 mcg, vitamin C 1 gram, and a capsule of propolis every morning otherwise. MY reaction to this stuff felt more like I took too much benedryl instead of something to combat fatigue.

Dysfunkion

I read this study from 2012 on mice https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22549035/ and would be quite considered with an increase in norepinephrine, since we are know for our HPA-Axis issues. I am specifically referring to your adrenals here, but the issue can also be higher up in your pituitary gland or hypothalamus.

I had a feeling that it just temporarily messed with levels of something that were really fragile whatever those were. Thankfully I only took one dose and I'm starting to bounce back (digestive system is still pretty bloated though, head achy, and have a nasal drip I didn't have before taking it), never taken this previously either. I also considered it a choline overload too but I'm also not sure if just one dose even in a vulnerable individual could cause that. Whatever happened this is certainly another supplement down the drain but hey I gave one more thing a try. Whatever happened it feels like for 2 days it slowed everything in my body to a crawl, waking up this morning was like climbing a mountain so something could have also probably tanked my cortisol? Don't wanna but I think I'm gonna need to double up on coffee until I get out of this one.

I've gotten 100mg COQ10 to try next but I'm just gonna let myself fully bounce back by this before I give that a go.

Faith2007

Don't wanna but I think I'm gonna need to double up on coffee until I get out of this one.
My ME/CFS doctor says no caffeine, but I have definite adrenal, pituitary gland, and thyroid issues. You may wish to read this study, "The Effects of Prolonged Use of Caffeine Over the Adrenal and Thyroid Glands in Medical Professionals", before you double up on coffee: https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=4432347

For a reference range for how much caffeine is in a cup of coffee, you can read this:
https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-...healthy-eating/in-depth/caffeine/art-20049372

Dysfunkion

So I dug around more on peoples bad reactions to carnitine and discovered the TMAO and gut microbiome production theory. I had a bunch of black garlic paste I bought recently but didn't know what to do with anymore since long term it was just too expensive so I went back to regular garlic in my food which I already have copious amounts of anyways. All of the hype is about raw garlic through So I have half of a teaspoon and the issues start calming down almost instantly. I knew it was some gut/liver/kidney reaction because of the bloating and signature headache and brain fog I get with that. May have been other factors involved too but I guess every morning now I'll have half a teaspoon of black garlic. That is sustainable too as a supplement at that much I think.

So I wonder if what happened is that something in my gut reacted badly to it and since it was pure alcar at a dose way higher than in food a lot of a very toxic metabolite was created and messed up my whole system.I have a very similar reaction as what happened here to taking choline and eating land meat. Beef producing the most horrible results mentally but with less of digestive bloating. This all could be what is behind a lot of my issues. I'm gonna start taking half a teaspoon of black garlic paste every morning and see how I do.

edit - I've ordered an actual allicin supplement to see how I do on that, I think it'll be a nice combination with the k2 and propolis.

Last edited:

Dysfunkion

I'm so glad you are doing better. Don't forget, low and slow is recommended for any supplement or medication for ME/CFS.
That's what I tend to do, I only want to take as little as I need to of anything. Really don't like being on all this because it also costs money I'm sick of dumping into this but I've definitely gotten further lately. This reaction wasn't too much of a set back especially since I think it revealed something that was going on that I can now target specifically. I'm gonna give myself a week on the allicin and then try the coq10 which combing the internet for reports on doesn't seem as volatile as alcar that I completely misjudged the harm in trying but hey my gut instinct of keeping things low at first and knowing my body well enough to know when something is going horribly wrong.

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
I found it made me cognitively wired till i got used to it but had no effect on energy. I still take a high dose of it for cognition.
I have found other energy producing supplements seem to cause weird effects, NADH added no energy but made me cognitively skippy for lack of a better word, Malic acid did not do much either. However Ribose helps PEM recovery (presuming ATP is depleted).

I think there is fundamental energy block and when we poke it the ME/CFS pushes back.

Dysfunkion

I found it made me cognitively wired till i got used to it but had no effect on energy. I still take a high dose of it for cognition.
I have found other energy producing supplements seem to cause weird effects, NADH added no energy but made me cognitively skippy for lack of a better word, Malic acid did not do much either. However Ribose helps PEM recovery (presuming ATP is depleted).

I think there is fundamental energy block and when we poke it the ME/CFS pushes back.

Yeah they all tend to do really weird and sometimes paradoxical things to me, nothing workslike it should in my body and I usually can't trust everyone elses experiences with everything besides giving me a general guide as to what can go right and what can go wrong. Does feel like a sleeping tiger, right now I'm just trying to find out what that CFS tiger is in me. I haven't tried NADH but I have tried NAD+ and niacinamide both of which I have very weird reactions to also. NAD+ at any dose makes me wide awake but in a very tense and uncomfortable way and niacinamide makes me wired for literal minutes and then completely tanks me. I don't think playing with with NAD supplements is safe for me.

edit - This morning I also tried the allicin supplement, slight mental clarity but nowhere near as beneficial as a small amount of black garlic paste raw every morning so I'm sticking with the black garlic paste. It's sustainable using as a supplement too since I don't need much of it.

Last edited:

Dysfunkion

So I tried the coq10 this morning at 100 mg. The reaction was pretty close to the niacinamide reaction. I felt slightly jittery llike I was about to get more energy and then I just felt wired and tired with a depressed state of mind that just turned into a moody tired feeling. Though the fatigue isn't the worst thing in the world and I'm thankful I have a few days off after today to bounce back. So the trend continue, most things that should give me energy or at least make me wired don't. The only new thing that is helping with my energy levels and making me more functional mentally and physically every day is the black garlic I have in the morning.

edit - I also noticed I made a spelling mistake in the topic title, if anyone could fix that I'd be grateful. Didn't realize I did when I first posted this but I guess it's a funny indicator of the state I was in at the time making this. lol