• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Viral proteins from SARS-CoV-2 mimic human immune peptides, causing exaggerated proinflammatory immune responses

Hip

Article: "Zombie" viral fragments trigger inflammation to cause serious COVID-19 outcomes
The research team found SARS-CoV-2 fragments can imitate innate immune peptides, a class of immune molecules that amplify signals to activate the body's natural defenses.

Study: Viral afterlife: SARS-CoV-2 as a reservoir of immunomimetic peptides that reassemble into proinflammatory supramolecular complexes
Discussion

We have shown that an unanticipated mechanism for propagating inflammation through uninfected cells exists for SARS-CoV-2 but not for common cold coronaviruses. This mechanism involves viral fragments able to mimic AMPs like LL-37 cathelicidin in host innate immunity.

Given that LL-37 is involved in pathogenesis of lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, the notion that SARS-CoV-2 peptide fragments can imitate LL-37 may be conceptually salient for understanding why the immune systems of COVID-19 patients resemble those of people with autoimmune disorders like lupus and rheumatoid arthritis

Whether these SARS-CoV-2 fragments imitating peptides from the innate immune system might be playing a role in long COVID ME/CFS, the study did not say.

Last edited:

linusbert

this is so disgusting. what they brew up in their laboratories with this disgusting virus is far beyond... and extremely frightening. i wonder if my increasing inflammatory markers and allergies and asthma are because of this virus.
but by chance do they mention how to protect from those?