• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Video: "Vegan diets dont work"

linusbert

just stumbled upon this video, its quite interesting.
review of statistics and studies and ultra processed food and a journey how the food in the west developed in the recent decades compared to how health problems arose.

linusbert

Everyone who thinks.
right now i have the feeling no one is thinking at all because no one is watching the video but commenting anyways.

the video is strongly talking about processed foods, its more about that than about veganism.
there is no lobby for non-processed healthy foods or even regionally produced foods no matter if vegan or omnivore. the whole industry nomatter if vegan or meat is ultra processed garbage. and those do not sponsor a video which criticises their products.
its all about processing the food. thats the main point of the video. but nobody gets it because nobody did watch it.

if you do not watch it, do not comment in this thread. make your own "vegan vs everything else" and make your general discussion about your opinions there.
its so annoying that people constantly keep disrupting and hijacking threads because they fear that it could be against their ideology or whatever they believe is the holy grail of being right now.

if you want to be critical, pick any content out of the video and lets talk about that!
like "i do not agree with the conclussion that ultra processed food is bad, because ...".

Azayliah

I'm not sure that I got anti-ultraprocessed so much as pro-omnivore from the video. The point is really that there is evidence that human bodies are, dietarily speaking, designed to digest and make use of meat, and including it in our diet is probably going to be have more health benefits for most people than relying on plants alone.

I didn't realize that so many vegans have to step away from their diet. It was nice to see that some of them openly discuss that instead of pretending that the diet is still working for them.

Interesting that their symptoms align with some of the things seen in ME/CFS. It seems there are many posts concerning gut health in the forums. I don't really read those often because they tend to be a little much for my particular brand of brain fog to follow, but I think I remember a lot of discussion about supplements and such. Is the kind of absorption issue described in the video often taken into account?

The video is also timely for me because I've lately noticed a rather sudden decline... skin issues, gums seem to be receding, muscle appears to be lost, increased digestive issues, can't lose weight. I have been pondering that this may be due to a decrease in meat in my diet over the same amount of time. Plants are cheaper. Maybe I'll try splurging for a year and see how that goes.

The video is also timely for me because I've lately noticed a rather sudden decline... skin issues, gums seem to be receding, muscle appears to be lost, increased digestive issues, can't lose weight. I have been pondering that this may be due to a decrease in meat in my diet over the same amount of time. Plants are cheaper.

I’ve had similar issues lately. I used to eat a more paleo diet, before it was a thing, because I felt better on it. Then with menopause and stress I craved different food. More carbs and snack foods. I haven’t been able to switch back completely but I do better on a higher protein diet and am trying to incorporate that. Let me know how your spurge goes!

I am not surprised by the video. I know many people that could not sustain a vegan diet. They had sleep problems, very low body weight and bone problem.

Speaking of videos, there is a great YouTube video “Who invented the food pyramid and Why You’d be crazy to Follow it” by Today I Found Out. Anyway, basically meat and other foods were considered far more important in the first pyramid before lobbyists got their hands on it and added all the bread etc.

I think it is also important to note, that in many cultures there are different body types that do better on different healthy diets. I am not talking about blood type diets. But basically three main groups, high protein, balanced protein and carbs, and high plant and carbs. I have seen it in my extended family. Some of them do better on a more vegetarian diet, others high protein, and many need a balanced approach.

Azayliah

I used to eat a more paleo diet, before it was a thing, because I felt better on it.
The paleo diet was the only one that my body didn't seem to object to. At the time I didn't notice any health benefits (didn't lose weight or feel more energetic), but I also didn't notice detriments.

Then with menopause and stress I craved different food. More carbs and snack foods.
I'm around menopause age and also had the carb and salt cravings... noticed I felt worse without them. Which is why I'm not intending to remove all of that from my diet, but to reduce it pretty sharply.

I haven’t been able to switch back completely but I do better on a higher protein diet and am trying to incorporate that. Let me know how your spurge goes!
It's delicious. :D

I'm at the point in the year where I go a bit anorexic, but emphasizing animal protein seems to be helping with that.There's not much else to say about it for now. Might be able to tell if there's a benefit sometime over the next several months, based on the condition of my skin... I'll try to remember to comment on it later.