• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Very Interesting Research on Long Covid - Is this very similar for ME?

bertiedog

I listened to this podcast early this moning on BBC Radio 5 which I found extremely interesting and the obvious thing is to wonder has a similar issue occurred in ME. I have found the podcast information from the Naked Scientist ie Dr Chris Smith which is well worth listening to or the transcript is available here -

https://www.thenakedscientists.com/articles/interviews/do-dormant-viruses-cause-long-covid

I wonder what others think about these 2 possibilities, autoimmune and/or virus still living in the gut?

Pam

Last edited:

ruben

I just heard the recording. Would all this not suggest that us who got glandular fever as a trigger for our problems, that our main course of action has got to be antivirals?

SWAlexander

autoimmune and/or virus still living in the gut
I believe that a virus residing in the gut could trigger the immune system to malfunction. This dormant virus is typically kept in check by T and B cells, but when another virus compromises these defenses, it can be released and cause issues.
1710700439286.jpeg

Credit Dr. McMillan.