• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Unfolded Protein Response and A Possible Treatment for CFS

CSMLSM

@mariovitali impressive work, thorough.

ER Stress support : TUDCA, Curcumin (i either use turmeric powder sprinkled in salads or use Mustard). Some olive oil is used for better absorption.
Turmeric contains caryophyllene which is the target component of the copaiba essential oil I use.
It is a selective CB2 agonist.

I also use CBD.

Here is an abstract of a paper that links things we are both doing/targeting.
I knew I remembered something relating to your ER stress theory.
I have fragmented/deteriorated memory from many bouts of severe B12 deficiency so my past research is problematic to access and at the time notes were not possible due to how ill I was.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36374961/

Promising Action of Cannabinoids on ER Stress-Mediated Neurodegeneration: An In Silico Investigation​

Fathima Hajee Basha 1, Mohammad Waseem 1, Hemalatha Srinivasan 1
Affiliations expand

Abstract​

Neurodegeneration has been recognized as a clinical episode characterized by neuronal death, including dementia, cognitive impairment and movement disorder. Most of the neurodegenerative deficits, via clinical symptoms, includes common pathogenic features as protein misfolding and aggregation. Therefore, the focus highlights the cellular organelle endoplasmic reticulum (ER) critically linked with the quality control and protein homeostasis. Unfolded protein response (UPR) or ER stress have also been considered as hallmarks for neurodegenerative disorders. It has been implicated that the levels of endocannabinoids (ECB) could rise at the platform of neurodegeneration. In addition, phytocannabinoids (PCB) including cannabidiol (CBD) could also initiate the IRE1, PERK, XBP-1, and ATF6, pathways that could lead to the degradation of the misfolded proteins and termination of protein translation. Thus, our aim was to determine if cannabinoids bind to these ER arm proteins involved in UPR by molecular docking and therefore determine its drug resemblance through ADME analysis. In our study, three cannabinoid receptors (CB1, CB2, and CB3) were considered to demonstrate their neuroprotective actions. The chosen ligands were screened as PCB (Δ9-tetrahydrocannabinol or THC), CBD, and two ECB, anandamide (AEA) and 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG). The current findings have advocated that the cannabinoids and their molecular targets have shown considerable binding and their ADME properties also reveals that they possess moderate drug-like properties making it as a valuable option for the treatment and management of neurodegenerative diseases.

CSMLSM

g) Impaired Calcium Homeostasis
The endogenous cannabinoid system(ECS) regulates calcium homeostasis,
j) Insulin Resistance
plays a part in reversing insulin resistance,
k) Obesity
regulates hungar in part and its dysfunction is implicated in obesity, depression, PTSD.

Regulates the HPA axis and so the stress response.

It plays a central part in whole body homeostasis, regulation of the immune system, nervous system and by extension metabolism.

I believe it is the key system involved in the ME/CFS dysfunction causing the condition and EBV is the beginning of that.

Given my symptomless condition, I find it easy to control/regulate application of my interventions.

However it took over 20 years to get here and understand why cannabis use throughout my ill health helped my symptoms and to refine how I applied molecules acting on this system to achieve symptom and side affect free treatment.

The B12 issues were the last part of the puzzle. I knew I had B12 issues but not why, now I do know why and it answers other things that had no explanation before.

CB2 receptor activation on B cells infected with EBV are triggered into apoptosis.

CB2 receptor activation across the immune cells directs the immune system away from adaptive immune state and towards innate immune dominance.

It shuts down cytokine storm because of this.

xena

I am once again reminded I have this issue...

Klinghardt says that "all cases of (secondary) porphyria that he sees resolve with treatment of the KPU underlying"...

So I guess I'm gonna try to treat KPU

dannybex

I am once again reminded I have this issue...

Klinghardt says that "all cases of (secondary) porphyria that he sees resolve with treatment of the KPU underlying"...

IMO, Klinghardt is a con artist of the highest order. And a pricey one at that...
And kryptopyrroluria a.k.a. pyroluria, is not a real disease.
https://drbillsukala.com/pyroluria-disease-myth

datadragon

Interesting. Under ER Stress and for many other reasons, the NLRP3 inflammasome is activated which I found in the research has downstream effect of lowering Zinc levels in several ways (lowering uptake and availability), and zinc is involved in B6 metabolism and also cell entry among many of its functions. So any form of inflammation/infection that is prolonged can lead to such a potential state and should be a focus. It has been instead linked more to genetics which are of course one separate factor that can always contribute toward balancing inflammation in the body or a nutrient likely for that reason. It has also been linked as mentioned to "excess kryptopyrrole" that they say binds vitamin B6 and zinc, renders them unavailable for their usual biological roles, and then excretes them through the urine as pyrroles. The article you pointed to mentions "I don’t think there’s any question that pyrroles exist. And yes, pyrroles can be found in the urine. So that to me does not invalidate the suggestion, mainly it says The symptoms people experience are also likely real, but whether or not these symptoms are a cause and effect result of excess pyrroles in the urine is yet to be proven." And on that note I agree as there is also no link that Im aware of where the nlrp3 inflammasome activation and its downstream effects on shank3 levels to a measurement of pyrroles so unless something like that is done its hard to make a cause and effect connection, but the mechanisms shown of the zinc and b6 deficiencies and their effects are quite real and dont require pyrroles to be involved to show the zinc and b6 deficiencies happen and their downstream effects otherwise.

SlamDancin

@datadragon @mariovitali

Y’all might find this interesting. There’s been a receptor identified as the ‘ER-phagy’ receptor that might be a target for us.

‘FAM134B, the initial endoplasmic reticulum (ER)-phagy receptor identified, facilitates ER-phagy during ER stress. The malfunction of FAM134B has been demonstrated to have a crucial role in the pathological mechanisms of diverse human ailments.’

‘Results: In the present investigation, it was observed that FAM134B exhibited a diffuse expression pattern in the cytoplasm and nuclei of control HEI-OC1 cells. Following cisplatin administration, FAM134B was found to accumulate and form distinct dots around the nuclei, concomitant with increased levels of ER-phagy, ER stress, unfolded protein response (UPR), and cell apoptosis. Additionally, knockdown of FAM134B resulted in reduced ER-phagy, mitigated ER stress and UPR, and decreased apoptotic activity in HEI-OC1 cells following cisplatin exposure.’

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37813237/

Dufresne

almost there...
@mariovitali
Thanks very much for this thread. Had it not been posted on this forum I’m quite sure I wouldn’t have found my way to trying TUDCA (certainly not in a timely fashion). This would have had me continuing to suffer a significant worsening in cognitive functioning following treatments for a receding hairline.

My troubles began about eighteen months ago after starting the herbal 5a-reductase inhibitors saw palmetto, pumpkin seed oil, and rosemary oil. As fate would have it this also coincided with a trial of TRT (despite my not having low testosterone). Interestingly the side effects I ran into were not sexual. Rather they were just about all cognitive, in particular trouble with word finding. It settled in slowly, and within 3 months there was no denying something had changed for the worse. I began dropping these new additions: first the testosterone, then the herbs, the Nizoral shampoo, etc. Each treatment I gave up seemed to help a bit, but weeks later I’d say I was still not even halfway back to baseline. I did notice things were markedly improved if I was fasting, even if it was just skipping breakfast. I’d even say it was as if things were back to normal if I just didn’t eat. However, as soon as I did eat I’d end up right back where I was the day before.

Fortunately I recalled seeing this thread some time ago and thought I could be suffering from the same mechanism. I ordered a bottle of Nutricost TUDCA, started with 250 mg/day and very quickly saw my recent worsening of cognition resolve, like within a day or two. I tried a few of the other supplements but there didn’t appear to be any additional benefit so I did not persist with them. I later tried the TUDCA from Double Wood Supplements, as well as the one from Nutra-Pro (1500 mg). Neither of these worked. There may have been some subtle benefit at larger doses but it’s hard to say for sure. Curious, I opened the capsules of each and neither of them tasted like the one from Nutricost, which of course tastes like vomit.

It’s been about fifteen months that I’ve been on the TUDCA. Sorry I’m only now getting around to reporting back with my success. I shudder to think where I’d be had this thread not been started on this forum. There’s more I can say about how I was affected by the 5a-reductase inhibitors, as it resembles other sensitization phenomena I’ve encountered with this illness, but it’s perhaps too much to get into at the moment.

Dufresne

almost there...
@Dufresne I am really happy to hear about your success. Would you say you had ME/CFS? Were you experiencing Post-exertional maliase or not?
Unfortunately the TUDCA did not improve my core ME/CFS symptoms. It merely resolved the cognitive issues I was having after starting the herbal hair treatments. And yes, I've struggled with PEM since 2006.

For me what happened was a sort of sensitization to rosemary oil followed by a disruption of the targeted system. I've encountered a very similar problem with other drugs, particularly psychotropics. It first occurred with benzodiazepines, then serotonin agonists, and now 5-AR inhibitors.

Check out the Wikipedia page on Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome, as this will hopefully provide a foundation for understanding what I think is going on. I'll just point out in advance that, at least in my case, withdrawal of the substance wasn't necessary to trigger the condition; one can become symptomatic while still taking the drug.

Do you think this phenomenon could be behind PFS?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Post-acute-withdrawal_syndrome

renski

IMO, Klinghardt is a con artist of the highest order. And a pricey one at that...

Just more misinformation/confusion on the internet, the article doesn't talk about all the other upstream issues going on that lead to pyrroles showing up. I doubt it's a disease in itself, it's just a downstream effect of something depleting B6, like oxalates, gut issues, low antioxidants, infections and toxins etc. Some people are lucky and can just take B6 and whatever else and are fine, but some people have to fix what is actually depleting the B6 etc.

Violeta

Just more misinformation/confusion on the internet, the article doesn't talk about all the other upstream issues going on that lead to pyrroles showing up. I doubt it's a disease in itself, it's just a downstream effect of something depleting B6, like oxalates, gut issues, low antioxidants, infections and toxins etc. Some people are lucky and can just take B6 and whatever else and are fine, but some people have to fix what is actually depleting the B6 etc.
The topic of pyroluria is addressed in this thread.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/pyroluria.29160/post-443430

Many people find relief from following advice for it.
If you have the symptoms there's a group on facebook to discuss it.
Please take discussion of pyroluria to that thread or start your own thread so as not to ruin @mariovitali's thread about unfolded protein response.

Last edited:

renski

Aidan Walsh

To me, all those items suggested at the beginning would be impossible to use if someone has MTHFR folate issues they likely contain numerous flour additives or others not allowed.

Also, my homocysteine has always been low normal range number 5 never elevated as this person mentions. If I used these products I would end up in ICU on life machines

Violeta

To me, all those items suggested at the beginning would be impossible to use if someone has MTHFR folate issues they likely contain numerous flour additives or others not allowed.

Also, my homocysteine has always been low normal range number 5 never elevated as this person mentions. If I used these products I would end up in ICU on life machines
This is how mariovitali begins the part about possible helpful supplements:

"The key elements of the proposed regimen are using any agent/supplement/actions to prevent Protein Misfolding and Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress and at the same time avoid actions that induce Protein Misfolding.

To help proper Protein Folding and ameliorate ER Stress the following Actions/Supplements are recommended :

-Methylation Protocol (If you have Methylation problems you must follow it according to your Gene mutations)

-Choline supplementation : Choline deficiency is very common and should be addressed because it leads to NAFLD (Non-alcoholic liver disease) and ER Stress. You must be aware of possible SNPs on the following genes :"

So he advises addressing methylation issues first.

rs3733890(Risk A)
rs2461823 (Risk C) NAFLD Disease
Rs7643645 (Risk G) NAFLD Disease
rs7946 (Risk T) (PEMT)
rs4244593 (Risk G) (PEMT)
rs2236225 (Risk A) (MTHFD1)
rs9001 (Risk G) (CHDH)

If you have several SNPs in the genes listed above, then you should supplement with Choline up to 700 mg per day and see how you feel.

-TUDCA : ameliorates Misfolded Proteins/ER Stress

-Taurine : Ameliorates ER Stress

-Vitamin C : Boosts BH4 functionality in case you have impaired production. I have reduced Tetrahydrobiopterin production therefore i use Vitamin C to increase it. Phenylketonuria creates Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress and Unfolded Protein Response

Says you should check your genetic propensity before taking any of the above 3 supplements.

I think he has been careful in his advice, and has often said that a protocol should be based on one's own issues.

With respect to your having low homocysteine and his link to information about hyperhomocystemia causing protein misfolding, hyperhomocyteinemia is only one of the possible causes of protein misfolding. That doesn't mean that everyone with protein misfolding has hyperhomocysteinemia.

Last edited:

Aidan Walsh

This is how mariovitali begins the part about possible helpful supplements:

"The key elements of the proposed regimen are using any agent/supplement/actions to prevent Protein Misfolding and Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress and at the same time avoid actions that induce Protein Misfolding.

To help proper Protein Folding and ameliorate ER Stress the following Actions/Supplements are recommended :

-Methylation Protocol (If you have Methylation problems you must follow it according to your Gene mutations)

-Choline supplementation : Choline deficiency is very common and should be addressed because it leads to NAFLD (Non-alcoholic liver disease) and ER Stress. You must be aware of possible SNPs on the following genes :"

So he advises addressing methylation issues first.

rs3733890(Risk A)
rs2461823 (Risk C) NAFLD Disease
Rs7643645 (Risk G) NAFLD Disease
rs7946 (Risk T) (PEMT)
rs4244593 (Risk G) (PEMT)
rs2236225 (Risk A) (MTHFD1)
rs9001 (Risk G) (CHDH)

If you have several SNPs in the genes listed above, then you should supplement with Choline up to 700 mg per day and see how you feel.

-TUDCA : ameliorates Misfolded Proteins/ER Stress

-Taurine : Ameliorates ER Stress

-Vitamin C : Boosts BH4 functionality in case you have impaired production. I have reduced Tetrahydrobiopterin production therefore i use Vitamin C to increase it. Phenylketonuria creates Endoplasmic Reticulum Stress and Unfolded Protein Response

Says you should check your genetic propensity before taking any of the above 3 supplements.

I think he has been careful in his advice, and has often said that a protocol should be based on one's own issues.

With respect to your having low homocysteine and his link to information about hyperhomocystemia causing protein misfolding, hyperhomocyteinemia is only one of the possible causes of protein misfolding. That doesn't mean that everyone with protein misfolding has hyperhomocysteinemia.
Yes, I agree with things he mentions but also aside from mutations mentioned we still have countless Vascular abdomen compressions like a few being MSA/Nutcracker/Pelvis Syndrome even Mals that require surgeries like AT's or a kidney removal

Wayne

Methylene Blue does have a risk of serotonin syndrome

Hi @datadragon -- My understanding has been that the risk of serotonin syndrome from MB is minimal, unless it's combined with SSRIs. I did check out your link, and it seems to confirm that. Here's what I noted;

It (MB) is a potent monoamine oxidase (MAO) inhibitor, and in combination with other serotonergic agents such as selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), MB can produce serotonin toxicity in the perioperative period.1,2 -- Administration of methylene blue in isolation is not thought to confer any significant risk of serotonin toxicity.3​

Murph

:)
I want to say that i think @mariovitali's core idea here is very good.

I'm starting to think that PEM being related to (or just being) the unfolded protein response is a really plausible theory. Let me explain why.

The biggest single attraction here is that it's a crisis system that is triggered by exercise, even in normal people. That just *feels* right to me. and it has 2 phases, one of which comes after a delay. That's exactly what we need for PEM.

1. The UPR is triggered by exercise in healthy people. If the UPR doesn't resolve the unfolded protein excess, the body moves to cell apoptosis.

This potentially provides a cause for PEM. After exercise perhaps the body tries the UPR for a while but it doesn't work and at the end of that you get a new phase, which in us manifests as PEM? This could explain delayed PEM neatly.

2. Skeletal muscle UPR makes people sleepy. Could this be one reason why some people with mecfs sleep so much?

3. Both viruses and toxic exposures can create endoplasmic reticulum stress. This could explain why some people have toxic exposure at the start of their MECFS.

4. viruses love to hijack the endoplasmic reticulum. Could they even still be in there? and maybe not in all cells, just in some.

5. Hwang found problems with the ER in his patient that was making excess WASF3.

6. Every so often you hear about a patient who rests their way back to health, or paces their way back to a higher level of halth. Maybe the endoplasmic reticulum can heal, or heal in some cells, if you reduce ER stress enough?

7. Endoplasmic reticulums are membranes. really foldy little structures. If we have membrane issues (and scientist have found consistent issues with sphingolipids etc) they might be especially prpblematic in such a folded structure.

8. Hanson's recent paper finds that in patients, the normal response to exercise simply doesn't happen. There's two ways to think about that. Either we can't do it, or we were already doing it so there's no room to do it more. Whether the UPR doesn't work or we were already in UPR, both fit with this theory.

9. There's no apparent research on the UPR and MECFS yet. see pic:

1704947438835-png.53211

This is uncharted territory. But the UPR is not a fringe idea. Nor is it a new system in the body. it's extremely well-established. we don't need weird open-minded doctors for this to be plausible. (this is also the big reason to think UPR might not be relevant to mecfs: upr is well-known enough that if it was being suggested by the data ,someone would have looked into it? you'd hope?).

In summary my really simple hypothesis is that we have rolling ER stress due to faulty membranes or persistent viral infection. The only thing that stops it ticking over into full UPR is pacing/resting.
But when we overdo it the body tries UPR and it doesn't work well.
e.g. when we exercise our endoplasmic reticulums call on the UPR, and PEM comes perhaps during UPR or perhaps at the end of that UPR period when the body is like, welp, that should have worked but it didn't, time to kill these cells off.

The advantage of this theory is it doesn't need a new body system to be discovered. it's a falsifiable idea. We can measure the expression of the genes that cause UPR. They are called PERK, ATF6 and IRE1.

It could even be the case that there's existing data out there that can falsify it (or help confirm it) that just needs to be re-examined from this perspective.