• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Tips for heavy detox reaction after B2 intake

jason30

Hi all,
I have a b2 deficiency and this got worse when I started B12 injections. I always take a B complex around the days of the B12 injection (before and after). In this Seeking Health B minus supplement there is 20mg of Riboflavin (as riboflavin-5'-phosphate sodium). 2 capsules is 40mg. After a year I can pretty sure say that the B2 (R5P) in this complex doesn't get absorbed, never got a detox reaction.

Last week I started with taking a separate B2 supplement (Thorne), also Riboflavin 5' - Phosphate Sodium.
In the morning I took around 10mg. Within a few hours I started to sweat, so detoxing. And then hours later I am exhausted, can't function anymore and go to bed. Next day also a lot of fatigue and brain fog.

So my body is craving for B2 but I can't tolerate it. I can try 5mg but I guess it will also triggers a detox reaction.
Does anyone have tips to deal with this detox reaction?
I guess things such as heavy metals (lead) or iron gets processed now since B2 starts methylation?

Also, I have low folate. Didn't started yet with taking folate.

linusbert

not more than 50 b2 and also need potassium.
but its also related to b6 and b12... and then also biotin... folate can also be.

if you tolerate one and not another supplement it could be that the supplement you do not tolerate actually really got something inside you dont tolerate.
but of course the other way around that the one from thorne is damaged can be too.

jason30

not more than 50 b2 and also need potassium.
but its also related to b6 and b12... and then also biotin... folate can also be.

if you tolerate one and not another supplement it could be that the supplement you do not tolerate actually really got something inside you dont tolerate.
but of course the other way around that the one from thorne is damaged can be too.
Thanks, what the relation between B2 and biotin? Is biotin a cofactor?

jason30

they share the same transport mechanism. so they compete in high doses. and thus one can make a deficiency of the other in extreme cases.
Good to know, thanks. I don't take biotin, but when I do I will take them separately.

linusbert

Good to know, thanks. I don't take biotin, but when I do I will take them separately.
i meant, if you take high dose b2 you might out compete biotin, so i could imagine that can cause deficiencies in the other. like taking zink and you can get potential copper deficiency in the long run.