• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Therapeutic Benefits of Direct Application of Vitamin C (C-Paste)

Wayne

I had never heard of "C-Paste" until I read the below-linked article. But it makes total sense that applying Vitamin C topically could be helpful for many kinds of skins conditions. Turns out it's even been documented to be very helpful for skin cancer. I have occasional times of "itchy" patches on my skin, even with little to no outer manifestation. I'm hoping C-Paste will help with that itchiness.

I've had good success adding sodium ascorbate to my oil pulling solutions. Apparently, if we have any kind of low-grade infection in our gums or teeth, it can quickly deplete Vit. C levels in our mouth, leading to what's called "localized scurvy". It has seemed that my gums really like it! I'm happy to be adding C-Paste to my repertoire.

Therapeutic Benefits of Direct Application of Vitamin C

"...The general idea of using vitamin C topically did not come to me out of nowhere. Back in 1984, Robert F. Cathcart III, MD, published on how to make what he simply called “C-paste.” He used it for herpes simplex lesions and early Kaposi’s lesions.​
“C-paste is made with either ascorbic acid or sodium ascorbate and water applied directly to the skin and covered with a bandage. Frequently, one application will suffice for herpes. . . Frequently, applications to intact skin where the patient perceives an outbreak is about to occur will completely abort the attack. Several applications may be necessary to penetrate through the intact skin.”1​
Topical vitamin C is a remarkable and versatile antiviral. Vitamin C paste applied directly to HSV or HPV lesions may make a visible difference, sometimes overnight. It is also effective on warts, which are viral.2 If ascorbic acid C stings, one may use sodium ascorbate instead of ascorbic acid. I have seen both to work.​
All this apparent antiviral property of concentrated vitamin C was an odd companion to the earlier antitoxic property I had experienced.​
Preparation of a water-based vitamin C paste is simple. Slowly add a small amount of water to about half a teaspoon of vitamin C powder. Use just enough water to wet down the vitamin C. Using less water will make a thicker paste. Application with the fingertip or a cotton swab, several times daily, is easy. The water will evaporate in a few minutes and leave a plainly visible but temporary coat of vitamin C crystals on the skin.​

It was soon to get even more interesting: I learned that vitamin C had been used to actually destroy cancer cells. How well it does so is easily and visibly demonstrated by twice-daily topical application directly onto basal cell skin carcinomas. There is no localized dose higher than that achieved by direct application.3​
The use of topical vitamin C to kill basal cell carcinoma has been known at least since 1971. Frederick R. Klenner, MD, wrote: “We have removed several small basal cell epithelioma with a 30 percent ointment” of vitamin C.4..."​

datadragon

Hi Wayne. Eczema, also called atopic dermatitis, is a disease of inflammation. In fact, the "-itis" in its name refers to inflammation. (atopic dermatitis). Vitamin C is known to inhibit the NLRP3 inflammasome however it says that mechanistically, this inhibition is through scavenging mitochondrial ROS but not through NF-κB inhibition. https://www.researchgate.net/public..._inflammasome_by_scavenging_mitochondrial_ROS

I have used organic raw honey 1 tablespoon and 1 teaspoon lakewood organic lemon juice which has vitamin c face mask to good use. Sometimes added 1 teaspoon of organic ceylon cinnamon.

I happened to be looking for other reasons related to inflammation and it appears that Peroxisome proliferator-activated receptor alpha (PPAR-a) regulates skin inflammation and humoral response in atopic dermatitis. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18249437/ and topical application of PPAR-a activator suppressed it https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/22583373/

So one possibility might be to try an over the counter PPAR-a activator like micronized Palmitoylethanolamide (PEA) (a natural substance in the body and food) which activates PPAR-a and also showed antidepressant effects. These effects were mimicked by the PPAR-a synthetic agonists, and the antidepressive effects of PEA were prevented by PPAR-a deletion + antagonists https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S0165032718315994 It happens to lower inflammation as well. Might be a good try although there are drugs for PPAR-a like fenofibrate and others for eczema. Zinc is needed for the pathway if not getting results alone in men, and possibly vitamins A retinol+D in RDA amounts for the zinc. Not sure about using something like that topically as mentioned but its all new and interesting info I just came across.

It may be just itching unrelated to eczema but histamine or non histamine skin itching and if that is the case then its different than the above with different info.

Last edited:

sunshine44

Que sera sera
Thanks for sharing.
I had some bizarre rashes when first bedridden on upper portion of my legs. Least if my concerns with losing so many abilities at once but I by accident found out through transdermal vitamin c use that they years old rashes disappeared!

We are so underutilizing transdermal applications. Humanity has barely even tapped into it.

Methyl90

In reality I have been experimenting with them for a long time with the due limitations due to my inexperience but I must say that the fat-soluble ones like D and E help me if applied with a good carrier such as coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil . DMSO is milder but definitely more potent but it doesn't seem to mix well with fat soluble vitamins whereas if you use powdered steroids and mix them with DMSO you are guaranteed 100% absorption like an intramuscular injection. I will try the Vitamin C spray with just water and see what happens 👍

xploit316

but I must say that the fat-soluble ones like D and E help me if applied with a good carrier such as coconut oil or extra virgin olive oil .
I bought these melatonin capsules, but after 1 dose I got symptoms of weak muscles and lower heart rate (due to the magnesium stearate). Just wandering if its effective to go the transdermal route with melatonin? Can sesame oil be used instead of coconut or olive oil?

Methyl90

I bought these melatonin capsules, but after 1 dose I got symptoms of weak muscles and lower heart rate (due to the magnesium stearate). Just wandering if its effective to go the transdermal route with melatonin? Can sesame oil be used instead of coconut or olive oil?
I'm not familiar with sesame oil but if it is rich in PUFA I would avoid it. Use vitamin E, coconut oil, pure MCT oil, Evo oil. As for melatonin, I had used the oral form in the past but being a final product of the metabolism of other upstream metabolites always created further imbalances. Are you taking it for antioxidant purposes? consider the one in drops at this point containing only glycerol and possibly alcohol... you can add DMSO if you are comfortable.