• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

The Atlantic: Fatigue Can Shatter a Person by Ed Yong

Countrygirl

Attachments

• ME LC The Atlantic Ed Yong July 2023.pdf
    143.4 KB · Views: 358

Rufous McKinney

Thank you, @Countrygirl , for the pdf I missed reading before the paywall hit.

Very grateful for this post. And to Ed Yong, of course!

I did a sort of scan read (something I can do today because a week of PEM lifted)

My main comment is we are so obsessed with this term Fatigue.

Probably because we are too tired to actually describe ALL the crap thats not working right.

Which I started listing here, and then stopped.

Sing

Yes! I found an earlier article by him in the Archive on Long Covid from April of 2023 and he references his first article on this subject from 2020. You can listen to the recording Ed Yong made of this longer article , which is near the top of the article. It is terrific! And it definitely includes references to our illness too.
https://www.theatlantic.com/health/...-invisible-disability-chronic-illness/673773/

Last edited:

maddietod

Ed Yong is on Twitter and is offering emailing his article to anyone who emails him asking for it. @maddietodd, if you would like his email address, DM me and I will give it to you.
I saw that! What a great guy. I slipped inside of the 24 hour window, but didn't know how to save the article to show to my kids. I've since learned how.

I might do a trial subscription so I can read the 2022 article, we'll see.

Thanks for your offer.

Last edited:

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I might do a trial subscription so I can read the 2022 article, we'll see.
I'm sometimes able to close my web browser, clear cookies and history and then go back in to view another article on these type of sites.

I think they use those cookies to mark who has been there before and then the paywall comes up.

It doesn't work all the time but you can try it.

???

Last edited:

Violeta

I have received the article about brain fog from Ed Wong. It's a pdf and I don't know how to post it here. I'll see if my daughter can help me do that.

I may have figured it out

Attachments

• Brain fog.pdf
    2.8 MB · Views: 27

Violeta

1690658252443.png