• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Teen's Death Ruled Accidental - TBI, Etc

hapl808

https://www.latimes.com/california/...wn-stairs-not-school-fight-caused-teens-death

Apparently teen had her head slammed into a wall during a fight. Complained of headaches and fainting. Less than a week later, falls down the stairs at a party and hits her head and dies.

This is the problem with our current level of medicine. That a helluva coincidence, but we have very few ways to prove conclusive links to - well - anything. I had a doctor jam his fingers into some of my muscles when examining me - within 24 hours, those muscles seized up and they never recovered. Permanent damage, but it's not clear on an MRI, so there's no way to prove anything, so why even try?

We think our medicine is advanced - which is what every society thinks. In fact, it's quite primitive and we're left with guesswork and biases. Unless something snaps a bone, we can't prove much. And even in a case like this when someone had a likely TBI and within days suffers a fatal fall, it's easy to say, "Nah, just an unlucky accident."

Since TBI often mirrors a lot of our symptoms, I think it's relevant. After my onset, my dexterity never recovered. I had to stop going to the gym, was unable to run anymore, stopped sports, etc. When I still had mobility, I was always very careful traversing stairs, walking on uneven surfaces, etc.

Would be nice if people took health damage more seriously.

Artemisia

Would be nice if people took health damage more seriously.
Agree. It's a product of this culture's fragmented view of the human body. Baffling that most people inc. doctors don't seem to realize every system in the body is interconnected.

They think of the body as a machine with unconnected parts. It's not.

Artemisia

which is why i dont have a ton of hope for a cure. not when researchers dont really understand a body isn't a car.

or that you know, we exist within an environment that we are interdependent on.

way too fragmented worldview when we need a cohesive understanding of the body and the environment, and of course everyone worships the dollar over a community's health and wellbeing.

Rufous McKinney

dont really understand a body isn't a car.

I had alot of training in Tai Chi. I hung out with folks who ran an Alexander Method School.

We are not taught how to use our bodies, and in fact we are injured IN SCHOOL by what they subject our bodies to, and even require.

My daughter, the star water polo goalie already is having troubling problems with her hip and shoulder totally associated with Water Polo. She is now forty. What happens at 65?

We have all kinds of refined knowledge on body mechanics for instance, and its ignored.

almost

First off, condolences to the one who died. Tragic, and I hope (slimly) that the initial perpetrators get some justice.

We think our medicine is advanced - which is what every society thinks. In fact, it's quite primitive and we're left with guesswork and biases. Unless something snaps a bone, we can't prove much. And even in a case like this when someone had a likely TBI and within days suffers a fatal fall, it's easy to say, "Nah, just an unlucky accident."
This is my major take-away from the last four years with my condition. Not only does medicine know little, they don't care, unless they can directly sell you something, like a surgery or a drug, and only those when it is a direct, known pathway, i.e. broken leg gets splint, rods, etc. Modern medicine is poor at making connections, particularly across disciplines or time. Our stuff is a freakin' jungle.
Since TBI often mirrors a lot of our symptoms, I think it's relevant. After my onset, my dexterity never recovered. I had to stop going to the gym, was unable to run anymore, stopped sports, etc. When I still had mobility, I was always very careful traversing stairs, walking on uneven surfaces, etc.
This is a big part of my current condition, besides the fatigue and PEM, etc. I think my case is multi-factorial, as I certainly have deep gut issues, as well as a history of viral infections, but also TBIs (2) as a child. I had two concussions (knocked out cold) at the time when it was treated lightly -- "walk it off, son." Can't say it is, can't say it isn't part of the milieu now.

Booble

I think it's a two-sided coin. We expect medical world to have all the answers for everything and to make us healthy when we are sick and save us from death when we are dying. But of course it's not perfect and we don't have all the answers. On the other hand, it's an ever evolving science and look how far we've come. Read any 19th century novel and see how the women die in childbirth, the kids all die of childhood diseases, the parents (and the authors of the books) from "consumption."

The dark side that is not spoken enough about is that we are adding new sicknesses and diseases from the dirty way we live. The way we farm, the chemicals we produce, the shit in the air, the water, etc. etc.

Dysfunkion

We have a lot of technology but not the means to actually help most people where like you said the issue isn't some like a broken bone. Even if something is clearly evident like an aggressive cancer, we still deal with it in a very primitive fashion that has about as many risks as just letting it go. I know in my current state I wouldn't be able to survive the treatment especially if it's chemo. Like to get an official diagnosis for whatever is wrong with this body I'm in I would needs to spend 1000's of dollars I don't have just to get my foot in the door for anything much. It's for profit and all the people who work there need money to live too, that alone makes everything a huge mess. Though I will at one point be cornered into needing disability from my limitations that I currently can't entirely prove on paper because my illness is multi system and complex. I'm also living from my supplement stack, if I lose that then I can't live period. I appear healthier than I am because my life hinges on them and my simple enough part time retail job that is right down the road. But until I lose enough money for that to become an issue I won't be able to without willingly putting myself in danger. Even being self sufficient in your own treatment comes back to bite you in the rear like this. Either medical gets more precise, efficient, and cheaper itself or we're stuck, and I'm not counting on it getting to be any of those in my life time.