• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Shingles, Antivirals, and More

hapl808

Had a weird skin thing start yesterday - I thought I'd gotten something a bit similar before, but feels more itchy and persistent than usual. I realized it's most likely shingles from the look of it - not blisters, but just the redness and size on my chest and back.

I'm going to take some natural stuff today - skullcap, allicin, andrographis, etc. Any other suggestions?

And thinking to message my doctor first thing in the morning and see if he'll prescribe an antiviral. I've never taken a prescription antiviral, is there one you would recommend that might also help my MECFS symptoms?

Acyclovir, valacyclovir, famciclovir - are those the main ones?

cfs since 1998

Valacyclovir is more potent than acyclovir.

I recommend starting with a tiny dose to see how you react. I flared when starting Valtrex (valacyclovir) at 500mg twice a day, and am permanently worse now :/

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Famvir seems to be the easiest one to tolerate per what I've seen here on PR but your doctor may prescribe something else.

Some people get insomnia from anti-virals like those for shingles. I don't remember getting that though but everyone is different so just something to keep in mind.

datadragon

According to the research, your doctor can also prescribe calcitriol 1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D3 the active form which may be much more helpful during active shingles infection for example according to that research since the conversions to the active form can be problematic during that time. Unfortunately I then found even taking 1,25 sometimes doesnt do the job and thats because Zinc and Vitamin A are next needed for the Vitamin D receptor to function properly in its effects and those can also be lowered during chronic inflammation/infection so if even the 1,25 form isnt working great by itself in those special cases, those nutrients may be potentially added as well temporarily in low doses which is also pretty new information I've mentioned. Hopefully the anti virals may also do the job when in that state.

lenora

Hi Hap.....I had six attacks of shingles one right after the other, before the antivirals were really used.

Surprisingly, many doctors didn't even recognize it as shingles as they had never seen a case (or more likely, recognized one). My neurologist did and I took lysine every few hrs. to keep it in my system. Judee's right, it did interfere with sleep, but at least you'll know. You may avoid that totally. I had my first (and seventh) attack when I was quite young. It wasn't as bad as the later ones (to put it mildly).

The antivirals in good that they'll really help to prevent a full blown case from turning into post-herpetic pain that is usually lifelong. You must begin them within a certain number of days in order for them to work. Like I said, they weren't around during my attacks.

There is now a vaccine that is something like 90-95% effective in preventing future attacks. It's given as two separate injection over a period of a month. I had no problems whatsoever, and feel safer since having it. Still, it's a decision that we all make on our own. Stress is a usual cause and, of course, chickenpox or the herpes virus in the spinal cord. Good luck and feel better. Oh, and get a lot of products with lidocaine in them...I found the 4% roll-ons best. Definitely not the sprays...the smell is awful and lingers. Yours, Lenora