• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Screaming Tinnitus

Nord Wolf

The Northman
Hi my tinnitus has been consistently up there this past few wks... Always left side..
What i don't understand is why it increases when I'm using my eye sight on line?
Anyone have any background info on this?
My only guess is that it is a kidney issue. Doing online work takes a lot of kidney energy according to Chinese Medicine. The ears/hearing are connected to the kidney energy. If the kidneys are depleted in anyway, it can lead to tinnitus over time. I would think that doing activities that pull on them would exasperate hearing issues like tinnitus.

My acupuncturist explained this some years ago. Most TCM practitioners tell people with low energy kidneys to do their online work in the morning hours because later in the day computer work can drain kidney energy much faster.

Rufous McKinney

My tinnitus abruptly stopped three days ago at about 3:15 pm.

The entire room went silent. Like a switch flipped.

What?

A single loud tone (my normal thing is electrical whooshing...) emerged and then died down and stopped.

Its not come back in my right ear, and the left its a little bit only....

Wayne

Hi my tinnitus has been consistently up there this past few wks... Always left side..
What i don't understand is why it increases when I'm using my eye sight on line?
Anyone have any background info on this?

Hi @Emmarose47 -- I've spent a lot of time perusing the main tinnitus forum tinnitustalk.com for the past five years, and have come across a lot of discussion on the connection between the eyes and tinnitus. As I recall, most of the discussion was about visual snow and tinnitus.

I just did a search with visual in the title, and came up with 53 hits. I've never noticed a connection for myself, so never followed these discussions closely. But if you check out some of the thread titles, you may be able to zero in on some discussions that resemble your own experiences.

When I work up the courage, I'll give it a look and a try

Hi @YippeeKi YOW !! -- Did you ever give sodium thiosulfate a try for removing calcium deposits? Thought I'd post this as a little reminder if you haven't. Course, you never forget things like I do, right? ;)

Emmarose47

My only guess is that it is a kidney issue. Doing online work takes a lot of kidney energy according to Chinese Medicine. The ears/hearing are connected to the kidney energy. If the kidneys are depleted in anyway, it can lead to tinnitus over time. I would think that doing activities that pull on them would exasperate hearing issues like tinnitus.

My acupuncturist explained this some years ago. Most TCM practitioners tell people with low energy kidneys to do their online work in the morning hours because later in the day computer work can drain kidney energy much faster.
Thanks Nord.. I'm only u rising the phone screen and as limited as poss - check messages, buy something, come on here..
I def notice as the day gets darker it's near on impossible for me to be on screen... Tinnitus tamps up as so does head and eye pain

Cort

Phoenix Rising Founder

Husband of

Hi @Nord Wolf thank u for sharing your experience ...
Tinnitus is hard .
Yes mine increases I'll share soon on it might here
Since getting COVID I have been having tinnitus usually when my other symptoms occur, and often when I first wake up in the morning (going back to sleep can get rid of it). 6 weeks or so into my recovery visual activity started triggering symptoms, including the tinnitus. While the severity of my issues has greatly reduced over an eight month period, the visual triggers and resulting tinnitus has remained largely unchanged. For example, if I look at my phone screen, I get instant tinnitus. Previously this would also cause relatively severe motion sickness, tiredness and brain fog, but now these issues are more mild.

this is interesting because my susceptibility to eye issues and tinnitus is greater in the morning. Although I think that has something to do with my neck, as posture is very important for me in the morning.
offering an opinion: I feel all this is hooked together.

My tinnitus, my blurred vision and the giant bubble in my brain..combine and they feel all connected to me.
i agree.

Intracranial hypertension might be a link.

Last edited:

Husband of

I'm better with screens in the morn... Like now it's not raising the tinnitus..
By later afternoon it starts becoming more of an issue
Interesting. I wonder if that is because your eyes are tired later in the day, from use. Do you get dry eyes? I have dry wyes every morning.

Do you have other eye issues? Like photophobia? Especially if there are different brightness levels in your periphery compared to what you are looking at? What about glare? Can you handle glare? Do you feel sick when in vehicles? What about when scrolling on a phone? And when there is glare? I have all these issues, not sure if they are all directly related or if they have different origins.

I also feel worse when tilting my head forward.

Emmarose47

Yep dry eyes in morn.. Feels so good putting water in them.
Oh yes lights are a problem.. How someone sits in a room with bright light is beyond me.
When I used to work in nursing the fluorescent lights gave me migraine. I've suffered migraines on and off for 30 yrs and headaches since young.
I often figure if I could just take my head off I'd be OK.
Glare is a BIG issue... The light from phones and laptop is soo offensive. This has got worse over time. I have blue light blocking glasses, black out glasses, all settings on phone low And just discovered there are apps to take the glare down further so I have installed an app - blue light reducer.
I don't go in vehicles now but that started to be an issue with M. E cfs feeling sick. I used to get it when I was young also.
Yesturday I pushed my screen time and had raised tinnitus, head pain and pressure top of head and temple pain. Then it went into my eyes and evertually nose..
Go figure?
If I was well enough I'd ask for neuro Inc scan but that's not in my league right now

Violeta

Something led me to looking at tinnitus with respect to NMDA receptors, and I found this study.

Cochlear NMDA Receptors as a Therapeutic Target of Noise-Induced Tinnitus​

https://karger.com/cpb/article/35/5/1905/73242

I can bring some of the information from it here a little later, but for now I'd just like to add that NMDA receptors seem to be involved in a lot of my problems, and I think there are some herbal remedies that might help.

Violeta

This article about tinnitus and inflammation is even more interesting.
I'll read it and see if there's anything worth bringing here and if I can find any natural ways of reducing the inflammatory markers TNF-a and IL-1B.

The Role of Inflammation in Tinnitus: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis​

Subjective tinnitus is the perception of sound without the presence of an external source. Increasing evidence suggests that tinnitus is associated with inflammation. In this systematic review, the role of inflammation in subjective tinnitus was studied. Nine animal and twenty human studies reporting inflammatory markers in both humans and animals with tinnitus were included. It was established that TNF-α and IL-1β are increased in tinnitus, and that microglia and astrocytes are activated as well. Moreover, platelet activation may also play a role in tinnitus. In addition, we elaborate on mechanisms of inflammation in tinnitus, and discuss potential treatment options targeting inflammatory pathways

https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/11/4/1000

Dysfunkion

I'm pretty sure mine is some kind of broken feedback loop that just perpetuates itself more or less depending on current conditions. Mine goes up and down without me doing anything throughout the day. The only thing consistent is when I'm feeling better overall it tones itself down just enough to fade into the background. The more brain fatigue I'm feeling, the louder it is and it's largely in my right ear. The more my immune system is going wild, the worse it is too because it work in the break room it is notorious for blaring over everything. I know it can even turn off because I've once had a random window of it doing so for reasons beyond me, happened some months ago and it never happened again. I am so sick of it, it may not be my most painful problem but it is by far the most obnoxious one. Nothing seems to be able to touch it, it's like the immortal symptom.

Nord Wolf

The Northman
This month makes 1 full year of using hearing aids daily. I went in to audiology for obstreperous and constant tinnitus levels that kept me awake and caused strongly reduced hearing. Then, after testing for hearing loss last April during that visit, I was told the severity of tinnitus might reduce over time by wearing hearing aids every day. Since between insurance and the state department for the blind and visually impaired, they paid for the aids, giving them a try seemed innocuous. Well, the hearing aids have helped my ability to hear greatly. Still a year later it is like night and day between wearing them or not. However, the level of tinnitus remains as it was, pertinaciously truculent!

Taken from my original post a year ago:

If you want to hear what I hear every second of every day and night when I am not sleeping, go to this site.
https://www.audionotch.com/app/tune/
Scroll down to the sound bar. Set your computer volume to about 30%. Set the sound bar volume to 15.67%. Slide the frequency tab on the left to 5380 Hz. Select the Triangle mode, and then hit Play. That is the base level. If I have a flair up of symptoms, the volume increases a lot until the flair up subsides.

The hearing aids do cover up the tinnitus, and when I’m in very quiet places (which I normally am), the aids have many settings to use in order to block out the horrendous screaming of tinnitus. Though at night when I take the aids out for bed, the tinnitus returns instantly. With an air purifier in the bedroom, its fan, combined with not having to deal with the tinnitus all day due to the hearing aids, allows me to sleep, luckily.

Disappointing that the tinnitus hasn’t decreased any in the past year of wearing hearing aids. It was a hope, but I suppose like so many hopes, most never pan out.

When I knew I was dealing with hearing loss I began learning sign language. I managed to learn the alphabet and some regular communication signs before I realized I was starting in on vision loss also. Rather than being incredulous to the situation, I switched gears and figured I’d start learning brail instead. No matter the strength of my volition, my heavily used and partly numb fingertips couldn’t feel the tiny brail dots. It seemed futile to continue learning sign language, especially since the hearing is correctable with heating aids and the vision loss isn’t. Ironic that I find sign language easy and brail impossible. The absurdity and satire of events attached to chronic illnesses apparently knows no bounds. o_O