• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scott Forsgren's report on the Shoemaker-Nathan-McDaniel Biotoxin Illness Conference

Kathi

Interesting that Shoemaker is talking about HCG... I had used HCG shots in February/March 2011 before going for testing in August 2011. What exactly did he say about it???

I, myself, heard about the HCG diet from a friend. I lost 15 pounds on the HCG diet, while doing the shots. It is a tough diet in terms of drinking the water, since I have heart damage. ( 60-80 ounces of water.) But no exercise is required, so that is a good thing. I have maintained the weight loss for over a year. Actually I went down an additional 7 pounds ... making my total loss 22 pounds. As long as I watch my sugars and flours the weight stays off. When I cheated during the holidays, I saw a few pounds come on. But if I go back to being diligent, the weight comes off again. I am 5 foot 2 inches and now weigh between 110-112 pounds. I have never in my life been huge, but noticed when in the WDB I gained weight, despite always having maintained a healthy lifestyle and diet. ( 121 pounds ) When I became disabled, I comforted myself with more carbs than I ever had in my life...So I crept up to 134 pounds. ( I am 58 ) That is when I decided this was not going to happen to me. I may be sick and short, but I wasn't going to be sick , short and stout.. LOL

Dr. Simeon developed and used this diet in 1954 for heavy young Italian boys. He says it resets the hypothalamus.

slayadragon

Wow, Scott's summary of Shoemaker's talk is really thorough! Each of his bullet points could be its own thread here.

What is HCG, Kathi? Or what is the HCG diet? How did you find out about these things? I've never heard of them.

Thanks, Lisa

Kathi

HCG is human chorionic gonadatropin. I learned about it from a girlfriend. It has been all over television last year..all the talk shows. It is safe for both men and women. If you are interested google up Dr. Simeon and some of the HCG support groups on line. Dr. Simeon gives you the history behind the diet, which I found very interesting. There have been doctors, as well as ordinary men and women that have used HCG diet with no harm. The only time it is not advisable is when one has cancer.

The product comes in a shot or drop form. And if you decided to do it, I would suggest getting it from someone that is very reputable as your source. All forms on the internet are NOT the same. I got it online and submitted a medical form to the company. I paid $176.00 for mine and did my own shots. (I inject hydroxycobalamin, so injecting this was nothing out of the ordinary.) If you go to a clinic, it can cost upwards of $1,000.00.

HCG is the hormone that comes with pregnancy. The fetus will steal nutrition from mother in order for survival. So the mechanism is basically the same thing. What one is essentially doing is putting their body in a pregnancy state, but it is safe for both men and women. On the first day or two you overeat and then you are limited to 500 calories per day for the next 28 days. The diet is explicitly spelled out for you, with 5 ozs of protein , ahandful of vegetables. and water. Everything must be organic. The 60 to 80 ounces of water each day flushes the fat away.. If you do not do the water as stated, you will not lose the weight. The diet must be followed to the T. Then you go on a maintenance program for several weeks to maintain you weight loss. After that, you can eat what you like. I have found for myself that staying within some strict guidelines on sugars and flours, even after the program is helpful. That is why I continued to lose weight. It combines the no amylose diet and the GAPS diet and then some.

If enough weight has not been lost during the first round, you can do additional rounds as long as there are time intervals in between. I did find it reset my hypothalmus..The only thing now that will undo the resetting is sugars, flours... wheat etc etc.. Otherwise I can't say enough about it. I know people that are in their 70's and 80's that have done this program with no ill effects. I know younger people that have done it too. For me being my age, I wasn't sure it was going to be effective.. I couldn't have been more wrong.

slayadragon

According to Wikipedia:

> As of December 6, 2011, the FDA has prohibited the sale of "homeopathic" and OTC hCG diet products and declared them fraudulent and illegal.[4][5][6]

http://www.medpagetoday.com/ProductAlert/OTC/30042?pfc=101&spc=230

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm

http://www.fda.gov/NewsEvents/Newsroom/PressAnnouncements/ucm282334.htm

Is this the version that you were using, Kathi?

It does seem like 500 calories a day, for 28 days, is a really small amount of food. Do you feel like the shots that you got were helpful to you in terms of tolerating it?

Best, Lisa

Kathi

Mine was prescribed to me by a doctor and was not the homeopathic drops that many have used over the counter. I did hear the drops were somewhat questionable. The shots were absolutely essential to my being able to tolerate the 500 calories. I did this a year ago this week, actually. I felt like I was always trying to get the required water in......That was the toughest part of the whole ordeal. ( for me anyways)

LaurieL

Thank you Rich for the update and link. I have been trying to follow his work for a few years now. Good stuff.

Laurie

The HCG diet is essentially a modified Atkins diet, low carb, high protein but low fat (unlike Atkins). It's very effective at shedding weight. Calories intake is low but the regime doesn't make you feel particularly hungry. Unfortunately, I couldn't stick to it. Despite drinking a lot of water, I used to feel dehydrated most of the time. Anybody who wants to do it I'd suggest keeping electrolytes under check or supplementing because it can flush those out.