• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Scientists work out the effects of exercise at the cellular level

Wishful

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/05/240501125227.htm

This could be helpful for research into physically-induced PEM.

"They found that each of the organs they looked at changed with exercise, helping the body to regulate the immune system, respond to stress, and control pathways connected to inflammatory liver disease, heart disease, and tissue injury."

"In all, the teams performed nearly 10,000 assays to make about 15 million measurements on blood and 18 solid tissues. They found that exercise impacted thousands of molecules, with the most extreme changes in the adrenal gland, which produces hormones that regulate many important processes such as immunity, metabolism, and blood pressure. The researchers uncovered sex differences in several organs, particularly related to the immune response over time. Most immune-signaling molecules unique to females showed changes in levels between one and two weeks of training, whereas those in males showed differences between four and eight weeks."

I previously thought of induction of PEM from exertion as fairly simple: damage to muscle cells triggers an immune response, and 24 hrs later, IFN-g triggers glial response, resulting in symptoms. This study offers way more possible pathways. The data might correlate with PEM responses, although ME varies so much that it might be hard to spot a correlation. Still, such large-scale data might reveal something, or trigger some new hypotheses for ME.

Their study seems focused on long-term changes from long-term (from PWME's perspective) exercise, but it should show some short-term pathways from mild activity too.

Rufous McKinney

Very interesting...thousands of molecules change from exercise.

Hence we have the opportunity for many routes to generate PEM poison. I was just badly poisoned for 48 hours, from a non physical event (visit new doctor who I won't be seeing again).

I recall the woman who worked for me, who ran marathons. She was having all kinds of inflammatory problems and my chinese herbalist saw her and he discussed with me how damaging intense exercise can be on the body. Particularly running marathons at forty.

She had to quit.

Rufous McKinney

They found that exercise impacted thousands of molecules,
It would be really interesting, perhaps, to compare the results from the work on ME CFS....regarding the large number of aberrated metabolites that were found. There seem to be several recent studies out there, examining metabolomics..

I wonder if a comparison could tease out possible routes for further investigations and hypotheses testing.

Wishful

I was going to say that a good follow-up would be to measure those changes in the 24 hrs after exertion, but maybe they took samples early. Just knowing that those changes occur--after longer periods of exercise--means that it's worth looking at them in a shorter time frame.

This is the sort of data it would be nice to hand to an AI and ask it to look for correlations with other datasets.