• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

SARS-CoV-2 and EBV; the cost of a second mitochondrial “whammy”?

Violeta

SARS-CoV-2 and EBV; the cost of a second mitochondrial “whammy”?​

https://immunityageing.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/s12979-021-00252-x
October, 2021

"The association between EBV-induced chronic fatigue syndrome with mitochondrial dysfunction was suggested many years ago [15]. EBV can alter mitochondrial dynamics and DNA replication [20, 21], as well as interact with latent membrane protein 1 (LMP1) and dynamin-related protein 1 (Drp1), enhancing glycolysis [22]. "

We, and others, have suggested that as the SARS-CoV-2 virus may modulate mitochondrial function, good mitochondrial reserve and health could be key in determining disease severity when exposed to this virus, as the immune system itself is dependent on this organelle’s function.

With the recent publication of a paper showing that long COVID could be associated with the reactivation of the Epstein Barr Virus, which is well known to manipulate mitochondria, we suggest that this could represent a second mitochondrial “whammy” that might support the mitochondrial hypothesis underlying COVID-19 severity and potentially, the occurrence of longer-term symptoms.

Last edited:

Violeta

I found this sentence interesting:

"In addition, anti-fatigue activity and exercise performance were evaluated on the basis of exhaustive swimming time, forelimb grip strength, and levels of serum lactate, ammonia, glucose, blood urea nitrogen (BUN), and creatine kinase (CK) after a swimming exercise."

They have found that hand grip strength to be impaired in those with greater symptom severity in Post-COVID and ME/CFS.

Impaired Hand Grip Strength Correlates with Greater Disability and Symptom Severity in Post-COVID Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome​

https://www.mdpi.com/2077-0383/13/7/2153

Violeta

There is actually a device for measuring lactate levels.

1712753546447.png

I have Covid now so can hardly read. But would Paxlovid and Acyclovir combined help reduce replication of both viruses?

Does the acyclovir which is used for cold sores shingles, and other herpes infections fight EBV? Sorry, for my ignorance in this area.

Violeta

So sorry to hear you have COVID. I don't have any knowledge about anti-virals, so sorry. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

@heapsreal knows a lot about shingles, maybe if you search through his posts you can find something about that.

I think I've heard that Paxlovid must be taken very early on in the infection. But I'm not sure about that, either.

So sorry to hear you have COVID. I don't have any knowledge about anti-virals, so sorry. Maybe someone else can help you with that.

@heapsreal knows a lot about shingles, maybe if you search through his posts you can find something about that.

I think I've heard that Paxlovid must be taken very early on in the infection. But I'm not sure about that, either.
Yes Paxlovid must be taken within the first 5 days. And the earlier in that window the better.

I had a secret stash, as tricked my doctor about a year ago into believing I had Covid, so he wrote a prescription back then. I kept that packet of Paxlovid in my cupboard ever since, waiting for that rainy day. lol (sometimes you have to break a fingernail to get the job done, especially with ME/CFS),

So I took the Paxlovid the same day symptoms developed. It took about 10 to 12 hours more to kick in, but made such a big difference in well-being. Because prior I was so sick! shaking uncontrollably with the shivers, hot and cold I even had my hands go numb with severe pins and needles. Vomiting, severe headache, etc.

I wasn’t able to be vaccinated due to a vaccine reaction to a flu shot 8 years ago that turned my very mild ME/ CFS into permanently severe. Ruined my life that shot did

I had always been worried about not being able to tolerate Paxlovid due to multiple other medication intolerance issues. However, I’m at day five now and haven’t noticed any side-effects from it. Apart from that well known metallic taste in the mouth.
Plus in studies, they found that Paxlovid was very low in toxicity. Meaning you can take massive overdoses in still not get sick on it. In a cringeworthy experiment they did on monkeys. I think from memory it was around 600 times the dose and the Monkeys still didn’t get poisoned. (animal toxicity testing is normally designed to kill 50% of animals tested on otherwise known as the ‘Lethal Dose 50’ (LD50) test. Which is an appalling way to treat animals in my opinion)

Anyway, Hopefully other people with ME/CFS can get Paxlovid because it’s a game changer. It really reduces the symptoms quite dramatically. I’m still unwell and my body feels like its fallen down a mountain. But it doesn’t feel anywhere as bad as that first day of hell on earth.

Fingers crossed I don’t rebound or the ME/CFS worsen. I can feel it’s going to take awhile to recover from this anyway

Violeta

That was a good idea getting the Paxlovid ahead of time. Your case sounds like it was very severe. I hope you don't rebound, too.

Yes part of the reason I got Paxlovid early was so I could ask the doctor for more when I finally did get sick. Which I did 😂. Meaning I have two boxes of it. So I will take a few more days worth as I’m still reading positive. I’ll probably do eight days in total, hoping to avoid Covid rebound.

Once I test negative and if I still have a worsening then from advice from a leading Medical authority in the US , they have been saying that’s the overreacting inflammatory response happening to people. And they recommend dexamethasone after the first week of. So in US hospitals week one is antivirals and week two is dexamethasone .

I also have a stash of dexamethasone for that too 😂 which I will take for about five or six days. I tolerate glucocorticoids well, so I should be okay.