• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Rewinding your biological age

Oliver3

Great, you should try the carnivore diet. It really does promote fat loss and muscle gain. I'm now much slimmer but heavier and I benefit from exercise. Exercise for me is Tai Chi or a short walk or 20-30 minutes swimming (mostly wading with a little bit of swimming mixed in for variety). Swimming is good because it's like reducing gravity.

After 29 years of CFS my body is very weak, but at least I know I'm now on the right track. After almost 2 years of doing a carnivore/lion diet and more recently increasing fat + fasting, I have less brain fog, my depression and anxiety is almost gone and I'm off all my medications. My only issue now is sleep... I wish I'd never taken those drugs, I've lost the ability to easily fall asleep and stay asleep.

When I get over this illness, I'm going to become a metabolic health coach. Maybe even a holistic doctor (if my brain improves enough to be able to endure 4-8 years of schooling) because from years of researching human nutrition, I believe I know how to improve anyone's health...

So, you want to rewind your biological age.

The TRIIM study reversed epigenetic age in 8 of 10 healthy men (50-60 y.o.) by ~6.5 years within 12 months and reduced thymus gland fat mass by 10-50%. The primary function of the thymus gland is to train special white blood cells called T-lymphocytes or T-cells.

For a detailed explanation of the TRIIM study, see my next post.
Hey thanks for the ideas. You know I've been toying with the idea of carnivore. I really need to look into it.
Thanks for your detailed post

Oliver3

Bingo

Both telomerase and BDNF are implicated in the regulation of immune cell development and survival, and telomerase appears integral to many of the central nervous system functions that depend on BDNF, including cell proliferation, neuronal differentiation, neuronal survival, and neuritogenesis (Cheng et al., 2007)

Panax ginseng looks like it would help.

Anxiolytic effect of Korean Red Ginseng through upregulation of serotonin and GABA transmission and BDNF expression in immobilized mice.

I will start taking astragalus regularly, too.

Astragalus injection treatment could reduce neuroinflammation, reverse BBB dysfunction, prevent neurodegeneration, and upregulate BDNF-CREB...

Thank you for this thread, somebody. :thumbsup:
Yes go send helps me.
Thank you for pointing that out about telomerase. I'd love to be able to take that. That was my point when I started the thread, ok it's a bit clickbaity but there are so many benefits to rewinding your metabolic click as far as you can. People just read it as if I rewind time ergo I'm better

Oliver3

If you have more info on EDS that would be interesting, as my daughter has EDS and pots but not cfsme.

I have heard the herb astragalus can help with telemeres supposedly. I take it regularly for kidney health as my egfr/kidney function did drop below normal after several bouts of dehydration from 3-4 day long episodes of headaches and vomiting. My egfr was running in the low 50s for awhile, normal is above 60 and prior to these prolonged headache/vomiting bouts it's was 90. Since adding the astragalus, my egfr was 70 when last tested. I don't think it has anything to do with telemeres but more directly on helping kidney function but I take it regularly so it may be helping without me knowing. It's also supposedly good for the immune system. I've probably been taking it now for 2 years and normally have low neutrophils and
my blood work shows they have been within normal range for awhile now. So may be getting another benefit there.

Could it be helping through acting on telemeres??? Something I might look into now.

Cheers
I personally think eds is the same as CFS.
I have a friend with type 3 eds. He has identical symptoms to me but has a brain aneurysm too.
But I mean he presents EXACTLY like I do.
I know we need tissue regeneration. We've lost a lot of muscle and collagen and vascular elasticity.
I'm sure it can be reversed.
It's just a case of people using new tech. But all these ideas suggested are great as holding treatments

Oliver3

Which "we" are you referring to? I seem to be as strong as before ME, similar stamina too. I haven't noticed any physical reduction due to ME.
If you are inactive. You HAVE lost muscle. All humans lose muscle tone after 39 regardless.
So you might not notice it but it's happening. No point being in denial.
Parrish has proved this can be reversed.
Look at the ligaments in Jen brea. Let's restrengthen those with telomerase.
If you have stamina, do you really have m.e? It's one of the hallmarks of the disease
I'm asking not accusing

Violeta

I personally think eds is the same as CFS.
I have a friend with type 3 eds. He has identical symptoms to me but has a brain aneurysm too.
But I mean he presents EXACTLY like I do.
I know we need tissue regeneration. We've lost a lot of muscle and collagen and vascular elasticity.
I'm sure it can be reversed.
It's just a case of people using new tech. But all these ideas suggested are great as holding treatments
I saw a study about a gene related to eds.

From the study: Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) has been identified as an up-regulator of TNX expression (Takeda et al., 2005) and glucocorticoids have been identified as a down-regulators of TNX expression (Sakai et al., 1996).

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fgene.2023.1107787/full

And then this study says that panax ginseng is a BDNF agonist.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6753202/

Wishful

If you have stamina, do you really have m.e? It's one of the hallmarks of the disease
I think that "hallmark" is a circular argument: people reporting low stamina are judged to have ME, therefore ME means low stamina. I fit the Canadian and international criteria; I don't recall low stamina being an essential criteria.

I may have lost muscle tone due to age, but I don't feel noticeably less able to do physically demanding tasks than pre-ME. I just finished a 3-hr hike in the hills (it was snowing heavily; quite beautiful), feeling no worse during and after than similar hikes 10 or so years ago (I did a lot of hiking the winter LDN blocked my aches), or long walks I'd done before ME. For me ME is mostly brainfog and other neurological symptoms.

Oliver3

No disrespect but that's mild m.e.
I'm miles more I paired than that and I KNOW it's a metabolic, tissue based disorder.
You seem to want to disagree with everything I write.
You're an outlier in that it's only affecting you cognitively.
You still don't know if telemerase etc would help tho.
There's no circular argument.
Post exertional malaise has nothing to do with decconditioning. It's a catabolic state.
You're entitled to your opinion but I think your assertions are completely wrong. Anyone with moderate to severe m.e. like me would be killed by a hike in the snow no matter how nice you found it so I feel you should show a bit of respect for others not as fortunate.
I've suffered severe cognitive impairment and severe impairment in my energy resources.
Perhaps you don't have m.e. ( I do t believe that really but that's what you're saying to me, that my experience is not valid)
Most, if not the majority of people with m.e.have issues with tissue, metabolic derangement, muscle loss. It's fair enough that that's not your experience. Find what you thinks going on for you. It may help us all. I'm not gonna shut it down.
But to just say oh this won't work, when you have no idea if it won't or not is just negative.
Perhaps just the tissue of your brain is affected. Most of us have the double whammy of being immobilised

Oliver3

I saw a study about a gene related to eds.

From the study: Brain-derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF) has been identified as an up-regulator of TNX expression (Takeda et al., 2005) and glucocorticoids have been identified as a down-regulators of TNX expression (Sakai et al., 1996).

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fgene.2023.1107787/full

And then this study says that panax ginseng is a BDNF agonist.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6753202/
Just ordered some high quality Korean ginseng with glucocortinids

Violeta

Just ordered some high quality Korean ginseng with glucocortinids
Oh boy, what brand did you order? There are some really amazing looking red ginsengs out there. Right now I am taking Prince of Peace.

Wishful

I'm miles more I paired than that and I KNOW it's a metabolic, tissue based disorder.
I'd say that you are convinced that it's a metabolic, tissue based disorder. Whether it's part of the cause or just an effect is still in question, since the researchers haven't been able to find clear evidence of that. I'm convinced that I have ME (meet the criteria), but my lack of metabolic, tissue based problems convinces me that it's neurological. Yes, I'm a rare case, but to me that puts weight on ME not being metabolic or muscle or blood vessel disorder. A neurological disorder can, AFAIK, cause the physical symptoms observed in most PWME, since the brain controls pretty much everything else in the body.

It's a catabolic state.
Again, there's no clear clinical evidence of that. Nothing like "PWME produce only 20% of the ATP during PEM that they should". My PEM seemed mostly neurological, without evidence of reduced muscle function. At this point, it's too early to state that PEM is catabolic or neurological; we're still waiting for clear evidence.

But to just say oh this won't work, when you have no idea if it won't or not is just negative.
I said "probably". Not all possible treatments have the same likelihood of working, and they don't have the same cost to develop or risk of harm. I pointed out that young people get ME too, so it doesn't seem like a disease of aging. I'd certainly appreciate rewinding my bioclock (my back is sore from shoveling snow), but since I developed ME at age 39, I don't think that rewinding to 40 would do nothing while rewinding to 38 would make my ME vanish.

Given how evil ME is, rewinding our clocks might just make us young people with ME.

Oliver3

I'd say that you are convinced that it's a metabolic, tissue based disorder. Whether it's part of the cause or just an effect is still in question, since the researchers haven't been able to find clear evidence of that. I'm convinced that I have ME (meet the criteria), but my lack of metabolic, tissue based problems convinces me that it's neurological. Yes, I'm a rare case, but to me that puts weight on ME not being metabolic or muscle or blood vessel disorder. A neurological disorder can, AFAIK, cause the physical symptoms observed in most PWME, since the brain controls pretty much everything else in the body.

Again, there's no clear clinical evidence of that. Nothing like "PWME produce only 20% of the ATP during PEM that they should". My PEM seemed mostly neurological, without evidence of reduced muscle function. At this point, it's too early to state that PEM is catabolic or neurological; we're still waiting for clear evidence.

I said "probably". Not all possible treatments have the same likelihood of working, and they don't have the same cost to develop or risk of harm. I pointed out that young people get ME too, so it doesn't seem like a disease of aging. I'd certainly appreciate rewinding my bioclock (my back is sore from shoveling snow), but since I developed ME at age 39, I don't think that rewinding to 40 would do nothing while rewinding to 38 would make my ME vanish.

Given how evil ME is, rewinding our clocks might just make us young people with ME.
Dude , you missed the point many people have made on here. Your the one whose convinced it's all in the brain. It's not it's a systemic condition.
I'm saying I proving markers of metabolic ageing improved health. You're taking it literally as in it's rewinding your health...it's improving your metabolic health

Telomerase improves your metabolic health. There is definitely a massive component of this that is metabolic, as there is in Alzheimers.
Sure, this is a scatter gun approach...so what? It's an idea. I'd take it.
You're just negative to everything I post for some reason.
You say it might just make us young with m.e. possibly. It might also improve our health.
Your standpoint does nothing. No curiosity.
Stem cell therapy has cured people with m.e. so what's going on.
You're point about young people getting it is redundant. It doesn't mean telomerase or stem cells wouldn't help.
People are born either strong or weak. Obviously there are massive complexties involved but you are definitely in denial that the majority of CFS patients and fibro patients have crossovers with EDS.
I remember providing you with evidence that EDS causes brain problems. Hyper excitability, PTSD etc etc. You went quiet when I mention that.
Anything that rejuvenates will make the body run smoother. Surely we should be curious.
Putting on muscle has many downstream effects. Frailty is a very real experience for many people with m.e.
The difference here is, I recognize the majority of people suffer PEM through effort, physichal or mental. Most have issues with tissue integrity to some degree, Whitney and Jen brea being prime examples of that.
Imagine if Jen breas ligaments could've been improved with telemerase and stem cells. Would she have needed surgery. Was it worth a punt to see. ? Definitely.
You are an outlier, which is fine and we need to look at every nuck and cranny of this disease but you're denying the experience of a very big portion of m.e. sufferers. That's just not scientific

Oliver3

You're basically terrified people won't concentrate on your outlier case.
I get that. But as you admit yourself, you're not a typical case. You're extrapolating from your atypical experience and drawing all sorts of conclusions whereas the many many many sufferers I know have tissue issues , catabolic issues as well blood vessels issues as well as neuro issues.
I think your wag off the mark.
This is a multi system disease for the vast majority

Oliver3

https://newatlas.com/biology/
I think that "hallmark" is a circular argument: people reporting low stamina are judged to have ME, therefore ME means low stamina. I fit the Canadian and international criteria; I don't recall low stamina being an essential criteria.

I may have lost muscle tone due to age, but I don't feel noticeably less able to do physically demanding tasks than pre-ME. I just finished a 3-hr hike in the hills (it was snowing heavily; quite beautiful), feeling no worse during and after than similar hikes 10 or so years ago (I did a lot of hiking the winter LDN blocked my aches), or long walks I'd done before ME. For me ME is mostly brainfog and other neurological symptoms.
Ok..pem through physichal activity as minimal as brushing your teeth is definitely a Hallmark. If that's not low stamina, I don't know what is
activating-brain-cells-slow-aging-boosts-lifespan/

Here's another age-slowing technique. It's a feedback loop between certain brain cells and fat tissue. Another example of the complexity of aging.

Oh boy, what brand did you order? There are some really amazing looking red ginsengs out there. Right now I am taking Prince of Peace.
It's called ILHWA. It cost me a fortune .
Also got the astragalus. Thanks

Wishful

Your standpoint does nothing. No curiosity.
No, I think it's a valid path of research that should benefit people someday. I'm just not jumping up and down with excitement that the cure for ME is near. From what I read, one person reported amazing benefits from an experimental treatment. I think if I made the effort, I could find hundreds of similar stories ... that never amounted to actual treatments for other people. Did the treatment have the reported effects, or is it a hyped fake? I'll wait until I read (in reliable science journals) about it being successful in more people. If this was a technique that had been proven successful in thousands of people, then I would get excited about its potential for ME.

You're just negative to everything I post for some reason.
No, we just have divergent observational experience and perspectives. I generally don't pay attention to who posted whatever comment I respond to; it's the content of the comment that I respond to.

You went quiet when I mention that.
I don't comment when I don't have anything relevant to contribute. I don't have EDS and therefore haven't done any research on the biology of that, so I left that to others.

You are an outlier, which is fine and we need to look at every nuck and cranny of this disease but you're denying the experience of a very big portion of m.e. sufferers. That's just not scientific
I'm in favour of exploring every nook and cranny ... if research resources are infinite. They aren't, so I'm in favour of exploring the paths with the greatest likelihood of finding discoveries that are useful for the most people. ME-caused double-vision might be really important for some PWME ( I have that), but if that only affects 1% of PWME, that's not the best place for limited funding. A treatment for the physical limitations would benefit a lot of people, but if that's not the core dysfunction of ME, that might still leave all those people with brainfog, POTS, and whatever else. My view is that if the physical limitations don't affect a large enough percentage of PWME, it means that it's likely not part of the core dysfunction, and therefore less funding should go to that and more to paths that are more likely to lead to the core dysfunction. I'm very aware of the limitations of resources, so I care about efficiency of their use.

You're basically terrified people won't concentrate on your outlier case.
I'm not expecting anyone to research my outlier case, so I can't fear any reduction in that concentration. It's just that from my perspective, the physical symptoms are not part of ME's core dysfunction, so that's not the optimal pathway to finding the core dysfunction.

whereas the many many many sufferers I know have tissue issues , catabolic issues as well blood vessels issues as well as neuro issues.
I'm not arguing that those issues don't exist. I'm arguing that my (and those few others who also reported the same lack) lack of those issues is evidence that that's not part of the core dysfunction of ME. Just how much that evidence is worth depends on how many PWME don't have those issues. In another thread, I suggested that it would be good if someone gathered actual data on what percentages of PWME have specific symptoms, and what percentages lack specific symptoms. That wouldn't provide an absolute guide to where limited resources should go, but at least it would be less wasteful than no solid data.

Oliver3

For someone whose not bothered. You don't half write a lot.
You don't know you don't have eds. Tissue type internally is part of EDS.
I can't be bothered arguing this. Tissue type is indisputably part of it.
If you don't agree, fine. Just keep on with these massive efforts to say nothing in particular

Oliver3

And no..you said eds doesn't affect the brain. It does. You were just not correct.
Life's hard enough. I'm not getting into this any more. I'm interested in people with views on rejuvenation on tissue and metabolism

Wishful

I've been thinking more about this issue, and I think the base of it is my lack of excitement about the news item. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. A treatment that dramatically reverses some of the effects of aging could be world-changing. However, it's one initial news item. Cold fusion was a similarly big news item, but turned out to be Cold Fakery. High temperature superconductors was similarly big and potentially world-changing, but aside from a few applications (important ones for medical imaging), it hasn't changed the world much.

A telomerase treatment could be a big deal, but I feel it's way too early to get overly excited about. I'm not claiming that the claims are faked, but I can imagine many ways that they could be, so I'll wait for independent verification before getting excited. Another possibility is that the treatment doesn't provide any long-term benefits, since it hasn't been tested for long-term. Another possibility is that there will be another related news item fairly soon about serious negative effects, such as "the patient now has 43 different types of cancer detected". So, the news item does not mean that PWME should start planning to ask their doctors for a prescription for it any time soon. Since drugs typically take 20 (?) years for approval (if they work), it's unlikely to be available for ME trials any time soon. Thus my present lack of excitement about the potential for this treatment for ME.

Oliver3

I've been thinking more about this issue, and I think the base of it is my lack of excitement about the news item. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. A treatment that dramatically reverses some of the effects of aging could be world-changing. However, it's one initial news item. Cold fusion was a similarly big news item, but turned out to be Cold Fakery. High temperature superconductors was similarly big and potentially world-changing, but aside from a few applications (important ones for medical imaging), it hasn't changed the world much.

A telomerase treatment could be a big deal, but I feel it's way too early to get overly excited about. I'm not claiming that the claims are faked, but I can imagine many ways that they could be, so I'll wait for independent verification before getting excited. Another possibility is that the treatment doesn't provide any long-term benefits, since it hasn't been tested for long-term. Another possibility is that there will be another related news item fairly soon about serious negative effects, such as "the patient now has 43 different types of cancer detected". So, the news item does not mean that PWME should start planning to ask their doctors for a prescription for it any time soon. Since drugs typically take 20 (?) years for approval (if they work), it's unlikely to be available for ME trials any time soon. Thus my present lack of excitement about the potential for this treatment for ME.
The Oracle has spoken