• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Reversible Cerebral Vasoconstriction Syndrome

pattismith

I do believe ME/CFS patients do have a particular sensitivity to brain vasoconstriction;

I also suspect Reversible Cerebral Vasoconstriction Syndrome is the tip of an iceberg with underdiagnosed subclinical patients.

Brain fog may be related to cerebral vasoconstriction in a subset of patients.

Here a medical page from NewZealand

"Clinical Presentation​

RCVS classically presents with sudden-onset and severe headaches that recur over a 1–3 week period. The headaches may be accompanied by nausea, vomiting and photophobia. Most headaches are bilateral and involve the occipital region. Patients with a history of headaches (including migraines) describe the headache as different from their usual headache.

1713438999269.png

Neurological complications occur in up to 50% of patients. Complications include seizures, cortical subarachnoid haemorrhage, ischaemic stroke and intra-cerebral haemorrhage.

RCVS is more common in women and in middle aged people (median age of 40–60 years). Up to 80% of patients have identifiable triggers such as exertion, cough, defecation or sexual activity."

"Possible causes of RCVS1-3

Although RCVS can occur spontaneously, a number of potential secondary causes have also been identified. Vasoactive substances (50% of cases) and the post-partum state (9% of patients) are the secondary causes most commonly implicated (Table 1)."

https://www.medsafe.govt.nz/profs/PUArticles/ReversibleCerebralVasoconstrictionSyndromeJune2012.htm