• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Results of my experiments placing various gut health supplements in special colon-targeted enteric capsules

Hip

Yesterday I took NAC covered in confectionary glaze and I noticed nothing odd about my condition, all within normal parameters no weird mental health issues. My colon is a bit tender at the moment but this hasn't made it worse.

Very interesting. I have not yet tried NAC in shellac-coated capsules, though have tried glutamine, N-acetyl glucosamine, vitamin A and zinc (all good for leaky gut). And also probiotics.

N-acetyl glucosamine (NAG) was the one that really had strong adverse mental health side effects when taken shellac-coated, so I think NAG may be having a strong effect in the colon.

NAG increases mucin secretion on the intestinal mucous membranes, and this can fight biofilms. The adverse mental effects I experienced from shellac-coated NAG might be due to some bacterial or biofilm Herx effect.

The Amazing thing is that when taking NAG in regular capsules (even in doses as high as 3000 mg), this never causes any adverse effects, and on the contrary, I find NAG beneficial for mental health symptoms like anxiety.

But as soon as I placed a 700 mg NAG capsule in shellac, to target the colon, it made a huge difference, and had strong adverse mental health effects (though no physical adverse effects).

Hip

One potential explanation for why shellac-coated N-acetyl glucosamine (NAG) caused me to experience adverse effects: the presence of NAG prompts the white cell form of Candida albicans to convert into the hyphal form. It is the invasive hyphal form of Candida which burrows into the intestinal lining, which can then cause leaky gut.

Though NAG also causes white Candida albicans (the most common type in the intestines) to convert to opaque Candida, and the opaque form is not able to convert into the hyphal form (see this post).

Forummember9922

@Hip Ive been trying NAG with possible improvements that could've been placebo,
But I bought a different brand of NAG and later realized its N Acetyl ‘D’-Glucosamine rather than just N Acetyl Glucosamine. Did you ever try both and notice any difference? AI says the D version is more relevant to human biological function but I perhaps found the regular NAG one from Source Naturals to be better

Hip

But I bought a different brand of NAG and later realized its N Acetyl ‘D’-Glucosamine rather than just N Acetyl Glucosamine.

I believe these are two names for the same supplement. Sometimes they include the D in the name, other times they drop the D, but they are both the same NAG.

Forummember9922

@Hip Ever get an almost heat sensation from NAG almost like bodys fighting something? I am privy that there are T cell effects just curious if you experienced this ? Happens when I go higher doses
🍻

Another interesting thing I learned is that N-A-G effects the urea cycle which is responsible for formation of Citrulline, Arginine

Last edited: