• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Recalcitrant Headache

belize44

For over two weeks, I have had an absolutely horrible headache. Sometimes, it will recede for a couple hours, only to return. It feels at times like a vice on top of my head, then it seems centered behind my eyes, then it extends from the base of my neck over the top of my head. If I so much as tilt my head, it stabs and throbs.

I start wildly blaming various things in an effort to see what might have caused it; Lipton's decaf tea? Percocet? (My doc recently changed me from Oxycodone to Percocet) My new CPAP mask? A new supplement? But it is a complete mystery. One day it presented with an aura and behaved like a migraine, with the usual stabbing pain between the eyes. I contacted my neurosurgeon and begged for a script for Depakote, which helped the last time this happened. But this time, it does nothing. I am concerned because the pain is really intense and I fear that I will be left untreated due to the new way that medicine is being practiced. Not sure what to do now!

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Can you ask your doctor to be switched back to the Oxycodone? I don't know where but I have read of one helping better than the other for some patients. Also maybe you could see if you could soak your new CPAP in some baking soda water (during the times when you aren't using it) and see if that would diminish any factory chemical smells that could possibly be affecting you.

??

Also, I've sometimes found Artichoke to help with a headache. Or I'll use a little Excedrine Headache sometimes when it's a migraine.

Hope you can find something that helps. Brain fog can be 10x worse with a headache.

belize44

Hi, Judee, thanks for the reply. I would hesitate to ask the doc to switch me back to the Oxycodone because a few months ago I asked to switch to Ultram; then it started giving me flu like symptoms and nausea/vomiting. I wanted to go back on the Oxy but instead, he prescribed the Percocet. I fear being accused of drug seeking; it has already happened several times, and the note is still floating around in my chart somewhere.

I suspect if it is the Percocet, it is the Tylenol in it.