• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Not Brushing teeth and other self care

L'engle

moogle
On mouth care, I just bought some tea that is turmeric and some other ingredients. I made a strong cup and have been using sips of it to freshen my mouth throughout the day. It has a surprisingly refreshing and almost cooling effect, even though the taste is not cold or minty. I was expecting it to be sharp but it is quite mild and very healing. I have some low grade infections in my mouth from years of not being able to take care of my teeth properly or go to dental appointments. The turmeric tea feels really good on my gums especially.

L'engle

moogle
I also got an inexpensive electric toothbrush which seems great for me, but I am only moderate. The vibrating head and the noise might be too much for a severe patient. I got the softest heads possible to go easy on my gums.

I don't know if this is remotely something your son could handle though. Would he let you gently clean his teeth? I think with an electric brush this would be easier as the brush does most of the work.

I neglected my teeth in my thirties while housebound and now paying the price in my forties with some teeth that need major work. They always seemed fine and I had so many other pressing things to deal with.

Anything you can do to prevent him having later problems with his teeth will make his life easier in the long run.

linusbert

so after almost all plant oils give me some kind of allergic/mcas asthma reaction worsening over days and oil pulling with animal fats is disgusting and in general oil pulling with fats seam to hinder tooth enamel hardening from beneficial protein plaques,
i do "oil pulling" now with plain drinking water from the bottle, no gas.

after all i read a study where they compared placebo , mouthwash and coconut oil(?) for oil pulling and came to the conclusion that placebo was as effective as the other 2. i think the placebo was water.
the mechanism seams to be to flush foods from the teeth, so anything can do that.