• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Nicotine?

Yep, since the summer. The best effects wore off after a month or so, but I still kept using a 7 mg patch cut in half per day (3.5 mg). I think it helps me to a degree with brain fog and fatigue.
I read that you don't want to cut the patches because that can cause an uncontrolled release of nicotine. Did you feel like the nicotine entering your system wasn't as smooth when you cut the patch? I'm very tiny and never smoked so I'm worried that a full 7mg would be way too intense for me to start with.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
@Katt and anyone else, can you fold part of the patch onto itself so only a portion of the medicated area is touching your skin and then use surgical tape to make sure the patch will still stick to your skin?

Dysfunkion

I get a boost of energy followed by feeling a bit more buzzy but it quickly turns into a jittery brain foggy state. I haven't used any in quite a while as I didn't smoke but the vapes are loaded with nasty e-liquid chemicals and my health over the Summer deteriorated so much that my occasional nicotine use also went. Was never addicted but it was a bit of a habit. I don't know how it'd effect me now but I don't have any urges to go back either.

Negative. I caught ME 5 hours after some friends of mine ate dinner at a now-defunct restaurant. No nicotine, alcohol, nor drugs were involved. No one else ate the Teriaky Chicken dinner I had, so I've assumed that was the primary cause in some manner I've yet to understand, after 27 years of ME.

Hey that reminds me of how mine started or at least the tipping point where I became very ill and life became a struggle of maintaining energy since. At the end of high school I started to develop very concerning gut issues I never have before with bloating and a fullness feeling. Then one day I made some meat on the grill outside which was not maintained well cleanliness wise, everyone just kinda scraped the old thing off and fired it up. Right after I ate this meal, it was the beginning of the end. My guts bloated bigger than they ever have in my entire life, insides felt hard as a rock. I was instantly hit with the worst state of mind I ever been in and was so fatigued I could barely even walk through the house properly. Sleeping was impossible and the next morning I felt like my liver and gall bladder was full of rocks or something. One of the weirdest sensation I ever had. The only thing that saved me was getting on a couple supplements and going vegan. I obviously got a bad infection of something that is probably still there wreaking havoc in there but to a lower degree to this day and it probably paved the way for other infections too. Not too mention I grew up in a moldy home too on top of all this that only got worse.

maddietod

@Katt and anyone else, can you fold part of the patch onto itself so only a portion of the medicated area is touching your skin and then use surgical tape to make sure the patch will still stick to your skin?
Yes, that's what I did. I folded a 7mg patch in half, and then covered half of that with the thick plastic the patch is on. And then I stuck it on with surgical tape. This worked well, to get a 1.75mg dose.

some people with non covid induced ME in my support group have reportedly benefited from wearing nicotine patches. their baselines improved

JES

I read that you don't want to cut the patches because that can cause an uncontrolled release of nicotine. Did you feel like the nicotine entering your system wasn't as smooth when you cut the patch? I'm very tiny and never smoked so I'm worried that a full 7mg would be way too intense for me to start with.
Yeah, I have heard that as well. The patches I use don't seem to have anything leaking out of them as it's just one solid sticky material. I'm now leaning to believe the main reason most manufacturers advice against this is because they would lose almost half of their sale if let's say people cut a 14 mg patch in half instead of buying the 7 mg one.

I also didn't notice any difference between cutting the patch in half or just folding and taping it as I did in the first days or at least I didn't get any quicker release that would have been easy to notice.