• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

New Brain Oxygen Mapping Technique

Wishful

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2024/03/240328162557.htm

It's a new technique, using a virus to deliver bioluminescent protein building instructions to astrocytes. The more oxygen available, the brighter these cells glow.

I thought this part was interesting:

"Through a series of experiments, the researchers were able to determine that oxygen was being denied due to capillary stalling, which occurs when white blood cells temporarily block microvessels and prevent the passage of oxygen carrying red blood cells. These areas, which the researchers named "hypoxic pockets," were more prevalent in the brains of mice during a resting state, compared to when the animals were active."

That sounds like an effect that could result in some ME symptoms. Would previous studies of ME brains have shown this sort of temporary localized hypoxia?

For some reason, I'm imagining this virus getting loose, becoming a pandemic resulting in people with glowing heads.

Rufous McKinney

I was recently extra sick; and had several large patches of leaking blood in my hands.

Something about being extra sick caused blood to leak out. All the tissue looks bruised.

I"d noticed this before, just a small round spot smaller than a dime, but this was half my hand.