• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

ME/CFS Comic Series

WantedAlive

@Pearshaped @RebeccaRe Thanks your complements and suggestions. Comic concepts are actually more difficult than they appear, I had countless ideas but only a few make it to a comic because you have to portray the scene in only three images and a few words, which I would usually do completely in text first. Or you can use a program like storyboardthat to create a concept. I would test this out on people before submitting to illustration to see if it worked, and many never made the grade.

I hope to do some more before too long. Welcome your ideas.

Rufous McKinney

Comic concepts are actually more difficult than they appear, I had countless ideas but only a few make it to a comic because you have to portray the scene in only three images and a few words, which I would usually do completely in text first.

These are really clever, and just great for revealing more about what this is like. And as I pondered ideas, I could see how its difficult to do.

when they are all together, they sort of build a narrative on each other...filling in the picture as it were. And then we (victims) sort of already get the punchline....while others are entirely going to miss the point unless its really obvious.

We have our mechanical basis- heads falling off the atlas vertebra. Hummmm. Can you bring some larger bolts, please? This crazy glue is not holding well.

My fingerprints can't trigger the DMV machines- that was both miserable and really funny- at the time.

- Whats the delay, Madam? move along.
- Well my fingerprints wont trigger the machine.
- A virus ate my collagen.
(problem- whats collagen?)

lint7

IMG_20200820_133625.jpg

Pearshaped

@RebeccaRe yes ,at first they tell you,your labwork is normal and that you are fine.It must be ‚mental related.
Years later your labwork is bad and all over the place,their reaction: „ohy this cant be that high this must be an error“ Then they test again.same result. they re-test again.3 times same result. „oh well we dont know what this means,lets wait and see..“

SNT Gatchaman

Not sure if this could work as a three panel comic strip, but here's a quick post I made to our local Facebook group about the unpleasant noise hypersensitivity. It riffs off the popular superhero segment on the classic British/American theatresports TV show "Whose Line is it Anyway?". Feel free to adapt if it sparks an idea.

EXT. OUTSIDE OFFICE BUILDING POLICE CARS are gathered on the street, some with LIGHTS FLASHING. OFFICER TOOGOOD (Anxious, to fellow officers) The baddies have taken many hostages, but they've made no demands. How will we possibly resolve this and save them all? OUR HERO descends from THE SKY, landing lightly on both feet with ONE ARM RAISED JUST SLIGHTLY ABOVE HIS HEAD. His CHEST is emblazoned with the logo of a PURE WHITE COTTON BALL. It is obvious that he is suspended by VISIBLE WIRES. OFFICER TOOGOOD Thank God you're here Chronic Fatigue Man! The situation is spiralling out of control! CHRONIC FATIGUE MAN That's OK Officer, I'll take it from here. I'll just walk slowly into the next-door building, find a darkened room and curl up into a ball for the next three days - I'll be able to hear every word of their nefarious plans. Also, have you established if their weapons are fitted with silencers?

WantedAlive

Here's the next series of comics about experiences with 'George and his ME/CFS'. I'm endeavouring to find humour to draw attention to the challenges that patients experience, the absence of appropriate diagnostics and therapy, poor treatment, lack of funding and maybe even a slightly whacky take on the latest research. As mentioned feel free to offer ideas that might fit a 3-window comic for when I get around to another series. Enjoy!

@Pyrrhus @wigglethemouse @Grigor @Tom Kindlon feel free to share the ones you like on your social media channels.

13 - Comic strip.jpg