• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Managing Potassium Deficiency - Share your experience

TinaT

Hi Tina,

The biggest problem with B-12 deficiency is more often than not it is under diagnosed and undertreated. For me and lots of others, once you start getting well, that is not the time to get lax—if you do, the symptoms will come back….too long between shots can mean that you generally don’t feel well but limp along on too little B-12. There is a facebook group with hundreds if not thousands of b12 deficient members that advocate strongly for daily injections until no further neurological issues and then every other day and then it is an individual thing but not months or even several weeks between injections. Even with all of Freddd’s improvements, he still takes B12 just not as frequent. Potassium is an issue for many B-12 deficient people and especially for those who are trying to get all the necessary cell-making items into their routine. Early on in treatment is not the only time that low potassium can rear up—-knowing the symptoms means you can do things to help. I also tried coconut water and for me—-it didn’t help quick enough which is why I chose to use both tablets and the powder.
It is wonderful news that Fredd was able to to find the missing link (Lithium) and that he has made such good progress——it gives a lot of us hope that we find the same improvements and won’t have to have such frequent injections and can stabilize our potassium needs.

Can you list the symptoms that you believe are potassium related? I think that would allow Freddd and others to help guide.

Like here is a story of someone whose potassium symptoms improved after the seventh shot:

https://greatgraves.wordpress.com/2011/10/09/feel-worse-after-a-b12-shot-b12-recovery-info/#comments

I've also read a few sites saying that the low potassium generally happens early in treatment. I was really just hoping for confirmation.. But it seems you guys are dealing with low potassium on an ongoing, near constant basis (which I see as severely life-altering and with near constant serious health risks from chronic low or high potassium).

The other thing is I'm not sure what symptoms we all have. My symptoms were severe to me. Others might shrug them off. Primarily really bad reflux and abdominal distension although I was starting to have other symptoms on a mild basis.. But I wasn't in a wheelchair or bedridden or anything. So I'm just hoping that I've caught this in time to get my regular life back (other than needing basic supplements and maybe ongoing injections).

TinaT

Hi Tina—-it sure sounds like low potassium. Fredd has often said that if he has 3 of the symptoms from this list (below) then that usually tells him what is wrong. You have constipation, increased pulse rate, muscle issues, palpitations (which can be low B-12 and low potassium). I used to drink 4-5 containers of coconut water a day. The label said it had 600 mg of potassium which I thought would suffice. It just didn’t work for me—I suspect that is because there isn’t enough elemental potassium AND because it takes too long to make a profound enough difference. Potassium has a very short half life which means it doesn’t stick around long…especially if you are making new cells. When I mix potassium in water, I can usually tell within 15-20 minutes if that is the issue as the symptoms reduce significantly. There are those on this site who dose every 2 hours depending on symptoms. Mine varies as to frequency but it is pretty frequent throughout the day.

The nights are the worst——I hear that over and over especially the palpitations are worse at night (It is for me too, right now). I has been doing the following the last few nights and it has helped some. I drink my potassium just as I get ready to sleep. I have another glass sitting on my nightstand for middle of the night needs. My dose is 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Potassium Gluconate Powder in 8 ounces of water. I also take two Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glysinate. Magnesium helps me quite a bit.—-I also use magnesium oil because it absorbs well without causing bathroom problems :) I am a believer in tumeric and I also take two of those for inflammation.

Freddd’s Low Potassium List
  • Group 1 – Hypokalemia (low potassium) onset. Often called “detox”. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with CyCbl (Cyanocobalamin) it is very common with MeCbl (methylcobalamin) and AdoCbl (adenosylcobalamin) and less so with HyCbl (Hydroxycobalamin).There does not appear to be a clear order of onset. The order of onset varies widely from person to person but many appear consistent for each episode for any given person. There tend to be more and more intense symptoms as it gets worse. Some people have ended up in the ER because of not recognizing the symptoms.

• IBS – Steady constipation, Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum,
  • Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness
  • Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), increased pulse rate, increased blood pressure, intense sudden dizzy spells correctable potentially in minutes with water with potassium gluconate for instance
  • Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.
Does this help?
Thank you. I thought low potassium caused low blood pressure (which has been confusing to me bc potassium is supposed to lower BP).

Also I don't really have muscle spasms other than maybe a couple of nights 3 days after each shot. I have more generalized muscle twitching, which could be anxiety or B12.

The tiredness is very weird. Like extreme fatigue until I drink C water then completely fine.

I take that back. Overnight, it's probably more spasms but not as severe as Fred described, most of the time anyway.

It's weird.

TinaT

Hi Tina—-it sure sounds like low potassium. Fredd has often said that if he has 3 of the symptoms from this list (below) then that usually tells him what is wrong. You have constipation, increased pulse rate, muscle issues, palpitations (which can be low B-12 and low potassium). I used to drink 4-5 containers of coconut water a day. The label said it had 600 mg of potassium which I thought would suffice. It just didn’t work for me—I suspect that is because there isn’t enough elemental potassium AND because it takes too long to make a profound enough difference. Potassium has a very short half life which means it doesn’t stick around long…especially if you are making new cells. When I mix potassium in water, I can usually tell within 15-20 minutes if that is the issue as the symptoms reduce significantly. There are those on this site who dose every 2 hours depending on symptoms. Mine varies as to frequency but it is pretty frequent throughout the day.

The nights are the worst——I hear that over and over especially the palpitations are worse at night (It is for me too, right now). I has been doing the following the last few nights and it has helped some. I drink my potassium just as I get ready to sleep. I have another glass sitting on my nightstand for middle of the night needs. My dose is 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon of Potassium Gluconate Powder in 8 ounces of water. I also take two Pure Encapsulations Magnesium Glysinate. Magnesium helps me quite a bit.—-I also use magnesium oil because it absorbs well without causing bathroom problems :) I am a believer in tumeric and I also take two of those for inflammation.

Freddd’s Low Potassium List
  • Group 1 – Hypokalemia (low potassium) onset. Often called “detox”. Symptoms may appear with serum potassium as high as 4.3. May become dangerous if ignored. Considered “rare” with CyCbl (Cyanocobalamin) it is very common with MeCbl (methylcobalamin) and AdoCbl (adenosylcobalamin) and less so with HyCbl (Hydroxycobalamin).There does not appear to be a clear order of onset. The order of onset varies widely from person to person but many appear consistent for each episode for any given person. There tend to be more and more intense symptoms as it gets worse. Some people have ended up in the ER because of not recognizing the symptoms.

• IBS – Steady constipation, Nausea, Vomiting, Paralyzed Ileum,
  • Hard knots of muscle, Sudden muscle spasms when relaxed, Sudden muscle spasms when stretching , Sudden muscle spasms when kneeling, Sudden muscle spasms when reaching , Sudden muscle spasms when turning upper body to side, Tightening of muscles, spasms and excruciating pain in neck muscles, waking up screaming in pain from muscle spasms in legs. Muscle weakness
  • Abnormal heart rhythms (dysrhythmias), increased pulse rate, increased blood pressure, intense sudden dizzy spells correctable potentially in minutes with water with potassium gluconate for instance
  • Emotional changes and/or instability, dermal or sub-dermal Itching, and if not treated potentially paralysis and death.
Does this help?

Also I have potassium chloride powder. Do you know how many mgs are in your 1/2 to 3/4 tsp of potassium gluconate?

TinaT

Hi Tina,

The biggest problem with B-12 deficiency is more often than not it is under diagnosed and undertreated. For me and lots of others, once you start getting well, that is not the time to get lax—if you do, the symptoms will come back….too long between shots can mean that you generally don’t feel well but limp along on too little B-12. There is a facebook group with hundreds if not thousands of b12 deficient members that advocate strongly for daily injections until no further neurological issues and then every other day and then it is an individual thing but not months or even several weeks between injections. Even with all of Freddd’s improvements, he still takes B12 just not as frequent. Potassium is an issue for many B-12 deficient people and especially for those who are trying to get all the necessary cell-making items into their routine. Early on in treatment is not the only time that low potassium can rear up—-knowing the symptoms means you can do things to help. I also tried coconut water and for me—-it didn’t help quick enough which is why I chose to use both tablets and the powder.
It is wonderful news that Fredd was able to to find the missing link (Lithium) and that he has made such good progress——it gives a lot of us hope that we find the same improvements and won’t have to have such frequent injections and can stabilize our potassium needs.

Can you list the symptoms that you believe are potassium related? I think that would allow Freddd and others to help guide.

Also I've been wondering about an electrolyte mix versus straight potassium. The mix "feels" safer to me just bc at least you don't have to worry as much about getting out of balance. That's one thing I like about C water. So I've been thinking about making my own E mix. But then I wonder, if I'm low specifically on potassium, would a mix basically just continue the unbalanced state?

Idie

Also I've been wondering about an electrolyte mix versus straight potassium. The mix "feels" safer to me just bc at least you don't have to worry as much about getting out of balance. That's one thing I like about C water. So I've been thinking about making my own E mix. But then I wonder, if I'm low specifically on potassium, would a mix basically just continue the unbalanced state?

For me, low potassium creates high blood pressure and others have reported this as well. I don’t have experience with potassium chloride. My container of Potassium Gluconate Powder (NOW brand) says 1/2 teaspoon is 175 mg. I try to get in the vicinity of a 300 mg dose when I’m having significant symptoms which is why I do between 3/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon.. I take it throughout the day if I need it. I also take Potassium Gluconate tablets with breakfast and dinner. I base my decision-making on symptoms and knowing the short half life of potassium. As to the mix…some people mix the potassium gluconate with juice or a smoothie. etc. I generally just take it with water.

The fact that you are able to run and be active is pretty amazing. For me it started out with fatigue, and then came the tingling. I felt really dreadful and couldn’t get a diagnosis for over a year. Looking back, I had b12 problems at least 10-15 years before I became nearly too ill to function. I also wasn’t bedridden but was very quickly moving to being house bound. The fatigue can be crushing and yet, I had insomnia so bad and was only sleeping one to two hours a night. Once I got through all the start up, b12 became my nighttime buddy….it helped me sleep. I am so mad at myself for getting a little lax…now I have to go through start-up, no different than you and others.

There is no question it is life altering but being diligent and consistent in how you manage it is critical to feeling good and not getting worse as you age,

TinaT

For me, low potassium creates high blood pressure and others have reported this as well. I don’t have experience with potassium chloride. My container of Potassium Gluconate Powder (NOW brand) says 1/2 teaspoon is 175 mg. I try to get in the vicinity of a 300 mg dose when I’m having significant symptoms which is why I do between 3/4 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon.. I take it throughout the day if I need it. I also take Potassium Gluconate tablets with breakfast and dinner. I base my decision-making on symptoms and knowing the short half life of potassium. As to the mix…some people mix the potassium gluconate with juice or a smoothie. etc. I generally just take it with water.

The fact that you are able to run and be active is pretty amazing. For me it started out with fatigue, and then came the tingling. I felt really dreadful and couldn’t get a diagnosis for over a year. Looking back, I had b12 problems at least 10-15 years before I became nearly too ill to function. I also wasn’t bedridden but was very quickly moving to being house bound. The fatigue can be crushing and yet, I had insomnia so bad and was only sleeping one to two hours a night. Once I got through all the start up, b12 became my nighttime buddy….it helped me sleep. I am so mad at myself for getting a little lax…now I have to go through start-up, no different than you and others.

There is no question it is life altering but being diligent and consistent in how you manage it is critical to feeling good and not getting worse as you age,

What pills do you use? And why do you use pills instead of always powder?

I probably have had low symptoms for years, too.. I'm sure I will be diligent now..I think my surgery then dental work really sped along my deficiency (that was two years ago). I still drank fortified soy milk once it several times a day for most of that time... Until the last couple of months.

So I don't know. I guess only time will tell.

I am running but that's very scary when that clearly makes the nighttime symptoms worse, and increases my need for potassium, which I'm already scared to take..I think my fear in this case is the biggest limiting factor. I'm just trying to go slowly.

However food for thought! I read a study recently that exercise increases B12 in the body. 🥰 Maybe that's helping somehow?

TinaT

Also I've been a passionate, daily, long distance runner for more than 25 years. My brain is fundamentally trained to run. I mean that might kill me. I hope not. But it will take one hell of an illness to stop me.

TinaT

Plus here's another confusing thing. Someone has a deficiency in B12. They get the shots on whatever schedule until they aren't improving anymore, then transition into maintenance on whatever schedule prevents them from moving backward. (I did read one website that said constant injections are only needed if the reason for the deficiency can't be corrected like through diet or supplementation; I've seen the opposite so not sure what's true there.)

But if you correct the deficiency, you are no longer deficient. This shouldn't be a lifelong illness, I wouldn't think. I mean you get what you need ... Just make sure you don't screw up again, like I did, and stop taking the supplement. Or getting injections if you need those like from poor gastro health or something.

I don't understand why people would need to constantly inject or basically never be well again. That might be what happens to me. I just don't understand how that could be.

TinaT

The high/ low BP thing is concerning. I wonder why the Cleveland Clinic website says low? I think I've seen elsewhere that it can be either. But now I'm going to have to double check somehow.

TinaT

Another thing! I just woke up after only an hour and a half of sleep with high then low BP. I'm drinking a combo of a couple of drops of trace minerals regular, and about 150 mg potassium chloride (bc that's what I have; I ordered gluconate). I'm trying to drink slowly which is a pain. Also I need to drink enough to get rid of the constipation.

I just read a hematologist who is against even weekly shots bc of the risk of low potassium. But then people disagreeing with him bc of the risk of B12 worsening. It's a real risk.

And the description of what low potassium can do on the link above provided by @linusbert is really scary. So we fix B12 but have to live with this constant risk of sudden death if we get it wrong. That's really tough. Not much of a trade-off although obviously living with a B12 deficiency is not a life worth living, either.

linusbert

Thank you. I read through. I don't think I can interpret my heart waves. But still good to know and try to check.

you will learn fast.
another thing too watch out for, is a HIGH QTc (note the "c" , there is normal QT and QTc).
a high QTC is a sign of electrolyte imbalance. hypokalemia can be a direct cause for this. QTc should be below 400 ... mine is between 450-500 . suggests there is clearly something wrong in electrolytes.
my qtc was normal in the <400 range before i got sick. so it seams acquired and indeed be cause for electrolytes.
we got sample ecgs in this thread https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...rt-rate-anyone.89717/#lg=post-2429206&slide=0

this is standard medical literature , though doctors ignore this completely.

mine looks like this, has qtc of 457 here. the graph itself looks ok.
1679905264944.png

also i get high BP from potassium and magnesium. and many other things lately. could be a stress reaction of my body if homeostasis is out of the window.

TinaT

you will learn fast.
another thing too watch out for, is a HIGH QTc (note the "c" , there is normal QT and QTc).
a high QTC is a sign of electrolyte imbalance. hypokalemia can be a direct cause for this. QTc should be below 400 ... mine is between 450-500 . suggests there is clearly something wrong in electrolytes.
my qtc was normal in the <400 range before i got sick. so it seams acquired and indeed be cause for electrolytes.
we got sample ecgs in this thread https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...rt-rate-anyone.89717/#lg=post-2429206&slide=0

View attachment 50999

also i get high BP from potassium and magnesium. and many other things lately. could be a stress reaction of my body if homeostasis is out of the window.

Maybe (I will learn.) This is all just so not good.

My BP normalized but I didn't feel as relaxed as after drinking C water. Plus my feet were still twitching and I started having heart palps, which can be caused by anxiety, which this definitely all could be causing. Fell back asleep but not as long, woke way earlier than when I took the C water.

TinaT

you will learn fast.

View attachment 50999

Thank you Where do you get this test if docs find care?

TinaT

I'm at the hospital now, having fasted potassium and magnesium drawn. This isn't the same as overnight but as good as I can get without going to the ER again (which I might do if things get far worse again 3 days after the shot... Planning to get my 4th shot later this morning).

My doc ordered two per week, for I think ten times or ten weeks. If my levels are within range and not declining, esp if in the middle like they were when I went to the hospital, then I don't know. If they are low or going down, I also don't know. Either way, I feel like crap way too often.

I'm consulting a non medical person who leads a B12 group. I just figure any info helps. But she said this could be low folate or just the "waking up" of the nerves.

Nutritionist wants me to get some sort of cell level micronutrient testing. I really wonder whether those are legit. I mean why wouldn't normal labs have them? One thing I have learned the hard way is that many naturopaths use propped up / bogus labs to convince people that they are sick AND that they have the solution. Lyme disease and Bartonella are biggies. I'm not interested in joining any high priced sick club.

That being said, I know something is wrong. Just probably not any of that BS.

Last edited:

linusbert

I'm at the hospital now, having fasted potassium and magnesium drawn. This isn't the same as overnight but as good as I can get without going to the ER again (which I might do if things get far worse again 3 days after the shot... Planning to get my 4th shot later this morning).
always have all electrolutes, sodium, chlorid, mg, pot, phosphor, calcium drawn together. all are cheap and required to see the complete picture of electrolyte balance.
also when they draw potassium, it must be quick, they shouldnt apply much pressure and some even say not to put a stanch on the arm... as pressure and trauma can make the tissue release potassium and therefore invalidating the results. usually the potassium would be high in blood then.
in your case i also would get
- Transketolase in Erythrozytes for B1 status
- vitamin D

TinaT

always have all electrolutes, sodium, chlorid, mg, pot, phosphor, calcium drawn together. all are cheap and required to see the complete picture of electrolyte balance.
also when they draw potassium, it must be quick, they shouldnt apply much pressure and some even say not to put a stanch on the arm... as pressure and trauma can make the tissue release potassium and therefore invalidating the results. usually the potassium would be high in blood then.
in your case i also would get
- Transketolase in Erythrozytes for B1 status
- vitamin D

Thank you. You know a lot. Do you have a medical background? I know you are right about the arm thing. Thankfully the blood draw lady this morning knew this, and didn't use a band around my arm.

I will add an electrolyte panel. I just had a full micronutrient test performed about 10 days ago. Not sure what that will show (but that was before the shots really have knocked me out).

I received shot #4 shortly after the test. I'm receiving the shots from a different self-pay lab. That lab also has RBC potassium, which I'm planning to get in 2-3 days, once it feels again like my levels are dangerously low. Hopefully I can stop her from using the rubber around my arm. She can be a jerk.. Maybe I'll drive across town to the place where the workers are much more agreeable. 🤪

Anyway, this study suggests serum potassium isn't the best indicator:

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/6496243/

I'm so pissed that the friggin ER wouldn't have run the best test. 🤬

But if even my RBC potassium isn't low, I'm going to have to consider whether this is just a side effect of the shot or low folate or iron or ??? I can't take especially high doses of potassium without seeing real numbers indicating a need.

I mean it really fits low potassium more than anything else. So we'll see I guess. Scary stuff...

TinaT

Also, now that you mention it, the really bad ER nurse couldn't get the line in my arm. And I'm pretty sure she put the band around before the draw, too. That I can't remember for sure. But my arm was trashed in that spot when I got back home.

I didn't know anything about not using the band until today, when the lab tech happened to mention it.