• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Magnesium raises oxalates, can this be prevented?

jason30

Hi all,
The most potent forms of magnesium such as magnesium malate and magnesium glycinate raises oxalates by me. The first symptom I get from oxalates is blurry vision.

Does anyone have experience with this and by change knows to encounter the conversion to oxalates? My body is screaming for magnesium :)

Thanks in advance for thinking along.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I can't remember where but I think I've heard that some particular form of calcium (maybe citrate??) lowers oxylates.

Perhaps it's just that you need to add some of that to your supplement stack but at opposite ends of the day from the magnesium. Anyway, research it if you can to find out what form. I would also say to only take it in low dose. (I think calcium may also need D3 and K2 to be utilized.)

I may have heard it from Elliot Overton somewhere in his Youtube videos. He also has a thiamine FB group where they discuss things like that a lot.

jason30

I can't remember where but I think I've heard that some particular form of calcium (maybe citrate??) lowers oxylates.

Perhaps it's just that you need to add some of that to your supplement stack but at opposite ends of the day from the magnesium. Anyway, research it if you can to find out what form. I would also say to only take it in low dose. (I think calcium may also need D3 and K2 to be utilized.)

I may have heard it from Elliot Overton somewhere in his Youtube videos. He also has a thiamine FB group where they discuss things like that a lot.
Thanks, I think I have found it; Hydroxy Citrate. Interesting, will look into it.

godlovesatrier

Very tricky to lower oxalates, other than simply adjusting your diet to eat less. I have quite bad kidney stone issues so I regularly go long periods where I can't eat things with oxalate as they make me so much worse.

Calcium supps don't tend to hlep. Judee did suggest I try k2 and I did take that for awhile, I felt like it was helping but I think it was a small change.

jason30

Very tricky to lower oxalates, other than simply adjusting your diet to eat less. I have quite bad kidney stone issues so I regularly go long periods where I can't eat things with oxalate as they make me so much worse.

Calcium supps don't tend to hlep. Judee did suggest I try k2 and I did take that for awhile, I felt like it was helping but I think it was a small change.
Thanks!
What symptoms do you got from your kidney stones?

Adjusting diet can be a more win in this case indeed.

godlovesatrier

Kidney stones were confirmed by ct scan I'd just like to say, but mine come nad go, I had a kidney ultrasound but it doesn't pickup small stones then again, only ct does. Anyway symptoms were sharp pain as a stone travelled down and in the bladder. A buildup of fluid when a stone gets stuck in the urethra of the kidney, which can involve pain and very bad lower back ache, which feels like very bad internal swelling.

Yeah well diet is worth to begin with anyway. IF it's a cal ox stone, mine are I think but valtrex crystals contribute to the stones too - not so good!

If I can help at all let me know, I've got a positive cornacopea of knowledge now about kidney stones.