• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Lots of long COVID patients reporting major improvements with lactoferrin

Hip

A number of long COVID patients are reporting substantial improvements from the supplement lactoferrin. See these threads reporting major benefits (the brand and type used is indicated):

Lactoferrin is a protein found in mother's milk which has antibacterial, antiviral and antifungal properties.

Typically long COVID patients start on low doses of lactoferrin (250 mg daily), and over a few days titrate up to higher doses (1500 mg or more daily). Taking too much too soon may cause increased symptoms or a Herx.

Most lactoferrin supplements you buy are in fact apolactoferrin, a synthetic form of lactoferrin. Though you can also buy lactoferrin. This article states that the "apo" form has additional benefits over regular lactoferrin (for example apolactoferrin is a better antimicrobial).

Apparently both lactoferrin and apolactoferrin increase iron absorption from the diet. This article says lactoferrin helps normalise iron metabolism: "though lactoferrin is both an iron scavenger and donor (depending on the cellular environment), it has been found to scavenge or donate iron at the appropriate times when the body is in need of the reaction."

One study found lactoferrin binds to SARS-CoV-2 spike protein, although a placebo-controlled clinical trial did not show benefits for patients hospitalised with moderate-to-severe COVID-19 (though the authors state lactoferrin potentially might be useful in earlier phases of COVID-19).

One study found lactoferrin was effective for two children with long COVID who had gastrointestinal symptoms.

Lactoferrin appears to have positive effects on the intestinal mucosal immune system.

A study found lactoferrin binds to and neutralises bacterial LPS and stops it from activating inflammatory TLR-4 signalling pathways.

Interestingly, this long COVID patient found that cheaper brands did not work as well as the more expensive Jarrow brand of apolactoferrin:
I've been taking Jarrow brand apolactoferrin during this, and have tried to switch to cheaper brands like Pepeior and Vitamatic, to no avail. Pepeior did NOT work at all and my symptoms started to really come back after 2 days on it, and then switched to Vitamatic which did work, but not as effectively as Jarrow, which I'm back on now.

Someone else on Reddit echoed this experience:
I bought low cost lactoferrin and had no improvement on it but then, when I bought freeze dried apolactoferrin, I saw an immediate improvement in my chronic migraines, so make sure to get the high quality stuff.

Last edited:

hapl808

Interesting. I tried Jarrow once before but I don't think I ever went above one capsule per day. Was just putting it in my cart this morning and trying to decide if I wanted to revisit. I also think it showed some promise as a treatment or prophylactic for COVID.

anne_likes_red

I bought some of the Jarrow brand after coming across an article on the University of Florida website last year suggesting it might be effective against C19.
I took 250 mg 2 x per day from when I got covid. I'm still taking Lactoferrin since I recovered but just at 1 per day - the 300 mg Life Extension product. I feel it helps me in general.
https://biotech.ufl.edu/two-common-...ness-against-covid-19-virus-in-early-testing/

hapl808

I bought some of the Jarrow brand after coming across an article on the University of Florida website last year suggesting it might be effective against C19.

I think I saw the same article. Like many things after vaccination was rolled out, there was no follow-up and planned studies were dropped. Quite disappointing.

Lactoferrin and Benadryl for COVID

Hip

Great. Are you using powder or capsule?
Do you also have low or high iron or ferritin?

The report I posted is from an ME/CFS patient on Reddit who tried lactoferrin, not actually from me. You can read her lactoferrin story in the this link.

Last edited:

Wayne

It may be that some long covid patients had just an iron deficiency.

Hi @pattismith -- I started taking Methylene Blue [Methylene Blue -- The "Perfect Supplement" For ME/CFS (?)] earlier this year, and have gotten some really good benefits from it. I continue to research it, most recently in its relation to COVID 19, COVID vaccines, and spike proteins that are created by both.

I hope to do a separate thread on this, but did want to brielfy mention here that COVID spike proteins turn the iron in hemoglobin from ferrous oxide to ferric oxide--two very different forms of iron. This hinders the hemoglobin's ability to release oxygen, and is why people who get COVID usually have difficulty maintaining oxygen levels in the body.

Methylene blue turns the ferric oxide back to ferrous oxide, allowing the body to raise its oxygen levels. MB is primarily known in the medical field as a treatment for methemoglobinemia, carbon monoxide poisoning, and any hypoxic condition in the body. It's even used to treat altitude sickness.

Discovering this information has left me dumbfounded, as the medical establishment early on intubated severely ill COVID patients to raise their oxygen levels, and (apparently) as many as 90% of them died. Why didn't they just start giving them Methylene Blue? It's been around for 150 years, and is well known to (extremely safely) increase oxygen levels.

Last edited:

almost

This article says lactoferrin helps normalise iron metabolism: "though lactoferrin is both an iron scavenger and donor (depending on the cellular environment), it has been found to scavenge or donate iron at the appropriate times when the body is in need of the reaction."
From the linked article:
Finally, lactoferrin is an antioxidant that scavenges free iron, helping to prevent uncontrolled iron based free radical reactions, thus protecting certain cells from peroxidation. Though lactoferrin is both an iron scavenger and donor (depending on the cellular environment), it has been found to scavenge or donate iron at the appropriate times when the body is in need of the reaction. At normal physiological PH, lactoferrin binds iron tightly thus diminishing oxidative stress to tissues (from free radical production of iron).
I wish there was a reference in the article to show the supporting info or research. This is a key bit of information for me, as I am both borderline anemic while having high ferritin levels. If this would scavenge free iron and encourage release of iron from storage, that would be most welcome. I have a hard time believing this would actually be true, but I've been surprised before. If it is just going to increase my absorption of iron, and put more of it in storage, that would be going backward for me.

I'm very curious regarding this, and may try it anyway, as next week I have my regular ferritin level check, and could start a course after that to see if it accelerates or reverses my efforts to reduce ferritin. Oxidative stress is one of my bigger issues and iron is a big part of that. Anything that can help that is worth a try.

Hip

I'm very curious regarding this, and may try it anyway

You might search the long COVID Reddit sub-forum, as I saw a lot of posts about the effects of lactoferrin and apolactoferrin on iron (though many comments seemed to contradict other comments).

I think information is scarce. One 2022 paper says "due to the iron-binding properties, it proposed that lactoferrin can enhance intestinal iron absorption and improve hemoglobin production".

I think there is a difference between lactoferrin and apolactoferrin with regard to iron absorption, and that is also discussed on Reddit.

anne_likes_red

I think I saw the same article. Like many things after vaccination was rolled out, there was no follow-up and planned studies were dropped. Quite disappointing.

Lactoferrin and Benadryl for COVID
Over the course of 2020/21 some really interesting research around prophylactics and treatments for C19 was done at universities (worldwide). I noticed they published results on their own websites, but it was almost never picked up by the press.

anne_likes_red

Hi @pattismith -- I started taking Methylene Blue [Methylene Blue -- The "Perfect Supplement" For ME/CFS (?)] earlier this year, and have gotten some really good benefits from it. I continue to research it, most recently in its relation to COVID 19, COVID vaccines, and spike proteins that are created by both.

I hope to do a separate thread on this, but did want to brielfy mention here that COVID spike proteins turn the iron in hemoglobin from ferrous oxide to ferric oxide--two very different forms of iron. This hinders the hemoglobin's ability to release oxygen, and is why people who get COVID usually have difficulty maintaining oxygen levels in the body.

Methylene blue turns the ferric oxide back to ferrous oxide, allowing the body to raise its oxygen levels. MB is primarily known in the medical field as a treatment for methemoglobinemia, carbon monoxide poisoning, and any hypoxic condition in the body. It's even used to treat altitude sickness.

Discovering this information has left me dumbfounded, as the medical establishment early on intubated severely ill COVID patients to raise their oxygen levels, and (apparently) as many as 90% of them died. Why didn't they just start giving them Methylene Blue? It's been around for 150 years, and is well known to (extremely safely) increase oxygen levels.
I see I shared this article with friends on facebook in April 2020. Might be of interest to you Wayne - or perhaps you've already run into it yourself. :)
https://guerir-du-cancer.fr/a-cohor...ONWrumhMtCPvhe0BSV5ayCFpZUpXiccQebarfNtafsTXE

Forummember9922

I am confused on the final verdict of Lactoferrin and Apolactoferrin's effect on Iron. They both help regulate? Or Apo decreases and Lactoferrin increases?

On a separate note, did not realize that 'Immunoseb' has Lactoferrin in it. Used to take that, will resume. Here is a study with Immunoseb in 'Post Covid Fatigue'. https://www.mdpi.com/2305-6320/8/9/47
IDK how someone might rate the publishing site or the study itself, cheers.

Hip

I am confused on the final verdict of Lactoferrin and Apolactoferrin's effect on Iron. They both help regulate? Or Apo decreases and Lactoferrin increases?

I don't know, I saw some contradictory comments on the Reddit LC sub-forum regarding how these two supplements affect iron. If you can find a reliable source giving a definitive statement, please post.

Forummember9922

I don't know, I saw some contradictory comments on the Reddit LC sub-forum regarding how these two supplements affect iron. If you can find a reliable source giving a definitive statement, please post.
GPT Response FWIW.
In summary, lactoferrin's effect on iron levels is context-dependent. It can both increase iron absorption in the intestines and decrease iron availability to pathogens. Apolactoferrin, being devoid of iron-binding sites, wouldn't directly impact iron levels.

I guess a safe takeaway would be if you dose it long term just keep an eye on iron to make sure nothing abnormal in either direction.

almost

Building on @Forummember9922 's great post, I ran the question of lactoferrin's impact on iron levels to BingAI, and found the following article:
https://ijma.journals.ekb.eg/article_34024.html

In short:
oral administration of bovine lactoferrin (BLf) significantly increases the number of red blood cells, hemoglobin, serum ferritin and total iron after thirty days of the treatment. BLf is a more effective and safe alternative than elemental iron for treating iron deficiency and iron deficiency anemia.

So, given the impact on ferritin, which makes sense, this is out for me.

Apolactoferrin was harder to pin down.

borko2100

Sounds promising, anything that improves gut health can be beneficial, albeit unlikely to be curative. I think almost all people with CFS (and long covid possibly) suffer from some kind of gut issues caused by the disease.

If your gut barrier is compromised for example you can suffer from all kinds of food sensitivities due to substances and pathogens getting into the bloodstream. I remember a period where I had very severe food sensitivities and if ate the wrong thing it felt like being poisoned.

I saw LPS being mentioned, the symptoms that I had were very similar to descriptions of LPS poisoning I've read. So if lactoferrin can prevent these substances getting into the bloodstream then this supplement can be very beneficial for certain people indeed.