• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Is Apheresis an effective treatment for Long Covid and ME?

SWAlexander

I hear yesterday from a doctor that 2 clinics doing plasmapheresis are opening up, one in New York and one in California. If anyone has further info please. post.

Is this what Dr. Scheibenbogen was doing????

I believe apheresis is posible in every UNI-Clinik-lab that provides dialysis.

Countrygirl

Can anyone find the papers from either the 80s or 90s which claimed that we had 'sticky' blood, please?

I know MERUK published two papers which revealed that the endothelium of our blood vessels was severely damaged while others described how our red blood cells are too rigid to pass through the capillaries.

When I had some genetic testing a year ago, they notified me that I was prone to a blood clotting disorder. I have been having superficial blood clots blocking blood vessels since I was 15, and in recent years TIAs and strokes.

I wonder if others had such evidence of having 'sticky' blood, Hughes Syndrome/Antiphospholipid Syndrome?

SWAlexander

Not that it is any comfort to patients, but 1300 euros is actually a pretty "decent" price compared to plasmapheresis or apheresis in the U.S.

Btw in case anyone else is wondering, "H.E.L.P. Apheresis" appears to be an acronym that stands for "heparin-induced extracorporeal LDL precipitation". It appears to be a commercialized product: https://www.bbraun.com/en/products-and-therapies/extracorporeal-blood-treatment/apheresis.html

Wonder what it would cost in the US.

Countrygirl

I think I was on the right track when I ask many times if anybody was tested for thrombosis (D-Dimere). Apheresis is dissolving the Clots, blocking alveole. Alveoles are small pit, cavity, or saclike dilation, such as a honeycomb cell in the lung.

Apparently, the tests for blood clotting don't detect it. Asad said his tests didn't, yet his blood is so thick it has clogged the machine a number of times.

Last edited:

Martin aka paused||M.E.

D1758F37-6551-4BB4-BCBC-F694AF3C7443.jpeg

It's definitely worth a try... I will contact Dr Jaeger on Monday

SWAlexander

Can anyone find the papers from either the 80s or 90s which claimed that we had 'sticky' blood, please?

I know MERUK published two papers which revealed that the endothelium of our blood vessels was severely damaged while others described how our red blood cells are too rigid to pass through the capillaries.

When I had some genetic testing a year ago, they notified me that I was prone to a blood clotting disorder. I have been having superficial blood clots blocking blood vessels since I was 15, and in recent years TIAs and strokes.

I wonder if others had such evidence of having 'sticky' blood, Hughes Syndrome/Antiphospholipid Syndrome?

"I was prone to a blood clotting disorder."
Me too - after 10 months now I still have thrombosis in spite of taking blood thinners. It´s a MTHFR problem.

Clinical trial CRP apheresis after myocardial infarction published
https://www.pentracor.de/en/news/klinische-studie-zu-crp-apherese-nach-herzinfarkt-veroeffentlicht/

Martin aka paused||M.E.

Molly98

Very exciting development, I will watch with interest.
@Countrygirl my beautiful friend ❤ ❤🤗 how have you been? Will dm you when I feel up to writing more 😘