• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Ideas for cheap lab tests that might show anomalies

I think I have a unique opportunity, in that ever since stopping clozapine, my CFS and anxiety symptoms are steadily and predictably decreasing. I'd say that since stopping one year ago, I'm about 30% back to pre-drug me.

And I'd guess the improvement would be logarithmic, getting slower as I approach normal. Normal being what I was like pre-Clozapine, which was still a lot of anxiety, but little to no physical fatigue.

There's a possibility that if I do a lot of different lab tests, maybe once a month, I could then use data mining software to find a significant correlation between some biomarker's levels over time and a logarithmic improvement line.

Of course some biomarkers might change from other factors, like me getting more exercise as I get better. But there's a chance something changes that can be tied to CFS somehow.

I already have a load of CBC panels that I had to do once a month to once a week for the many years of my clozapine usage, along with less frequent other tests, like metabolic panels. I put all the data from LabCorp into a spreadsheet, and plan to play with data mining software with the data I currently have.

I'm looking at ownyourlabs.com for test options. These are the cheapest:

Complete Blood Count (CBC) With Differential/Platelet - $7.35
γ-Glutamyl Transferase (GGT) - $7.44
LDH - $7.44
Uric Acid, Serum - $7.44
Electrolyte Panel - $7.70
Hemoglobin A1c - $7.70
Thyroxine (T4) - $7.88
Hepatic Function Panel (7) - $7.96
Basic Metabolic Panel (8) - $8.23
Renal Panel (10) - $8.40
Comprehensive Metabolic Panel (14) - $8.75
Lipid Panel - $8.75
Lipid Panel With Total Cholesterol:HDL Ratio - $8.75
Lipid Panel With LDL:HDL Ratio - $8.75
Rheumatoid Arthritis Factor - $9.10
Immunoglobulin A, Serum - $9.63
Immunoglobulin G, Serum - $9.63
Immunoglobulin M, Serum - $9.63
F027-IgE Beef - $9.89
F092-IgE Banana - $9.89
F096-IgE Avocado - $9.89
F236-IgE Whey - $9.89
F300-IgE Goat's Milk - $9.89
TSH - $11.55
Reticulocyte Count - $11.90
Sedimentation Rate-Westergren - $11.90
Insulin - $12.60
Direct LDL - $12.78
Ferritin, Serum - $13.13
Urinalysis, Complete - $13.13
Fructosamine - $13.48
Prothrombin Time (PT) - $13.91
T3 Uptake - $13.91
Folate (Folic Acid), Serum - $14.35
Prostate-specific Antigen (PSA), Serum - $14.70
Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct - $14.87
Apolipoprotein B - $15.05
Iron and TIBC - $15.05
Thyroid Peroxidase (TPO) Ab - $15.75
Apolipoprotein A-1 - $15.93
Human Chorionic Gonadotropin (hCG), β-Subunit, Quantitative - $16.45
Cortisol - $17.33
Vitamin B12 - $17.50
Partial Thromboplastin Time, Activated - $17.85
Growth Hormone, Serum - $18.90
C-Reactive Protein, Quant - $19.78
Mononucleosis Test, Qualitative - $19.78
Prothrombin Time (PT), Serial - $19.78
Progesterone - $21.88

I already did a morning cortisol and CRP test last week, and they are both pretty much right in the middle of the normal range.

I'll probably continue to get CBC's monthly at a minimum, especially since it's so cheap. Any other good ones? Anyone know of some common markers that are abnormal in many CFS or anxiety sufferers?

pamojja

I did the same, though only doing testing up to 5 times a year for 15 years. Most you mentioned tests through my GP, others he wouldn't do, out of my own pocket. Have thus amassed above 2500 data points from lab-tests. With supplementation and lifestyle changes, I did find some correlations, but many are still mysterious to me.

Overall, with improvement of conditions, lab-markers did improve. However, very often still far from a functional medicine standpoint of healthy lab reference ranges.