• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Hyper-oxia or too much oxygen

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
Can you explain whats going on in more detail?

My Spo2 is 99-100%. It’s never been that. And with it I have symptoms of oxygen toxicity.

I was having chest tightness when lying down. Felt like I couldn’t breathe. So, like an idiot I tried some supplemental oxygen. I meant to do 8 mins but fell asleep and it was on for 1h20 mins.

I woke up. Took it off. Nose got really stuffy then I passed out. When I woke up I felt brain damaged/intoxicated and have felt that way ever since.

But I feel I’ve always had too much oxygen in my system…like it’s not being recycled into co2 the way it’s supposed to be or something.

Blood gas in 2019 shows spo2 at 100% and EMTs remarked a lot that my spo2 is 100% . I just find it weird that I can’t breathe and feel cns damaged (this was ever before the oxygen).

Alvin2

That is a good blood oxygenation. You don't want that lower, covid caused many deaths by lowering blood oxygenation.

As for symptoms from supplemental oxygen, you can't get above 100% blood oxygenation (hemoglobin can only hold a maximum of 100% of its capacity). You can increase partial pressure of oxygen in the body as there are gasses floating around in fluids independent of hemoglobin, but that is long gone and lowering your blood oxygenation will not help as that supplemental oxygen is not only long gone from your system, your blood cells have replaced themselves many times since then.

I have heard of supplemental oxygen giving people headaches and other miscellaneous symptoms. If it did cause harm then you need to address that, not blood oxygenation as that extra oxygen is long out of your body by now, millions if not billions of times over.

Could it not have damaged my brain stem? Something terribly wrong is happening to me. I feel drunk. I’m having breathing issues, sleeping issues.

Best supplements to quickly address ATP?

I’m fighting for my life.

Alvin2

Could it not have damaged my brain stem? Something terribly wrong is happening to me. I feel drunk. I’m having breathing issues, sleeping issues.

Best supplements to quickly address ATP?

I’m fighting for my life.
Theoretically too much oxygen can cause excess oxidation in the body. If so then the cause is gone but the damage was left behind. As to how to determine if that is the case, that is beyond my area of expertise.

Perhaps another forum member will know more about that area?
@Hip

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
I was having chest tightness when lying down. Felt like I couldn’t breathe.
This could be food allergies. I get this a lot when I've eaten something I'm sensitive to or for things like the weather being very moist and mold counts being higher.

If you haven't gone fragrance free in your home that might also be something you want to consider.

After a few years on antibiotics off and on, I found some of my sensitivities improved but this chest tightness has come back lately and I wonder if it's the grapefruit seed extract capsules (citrus sensitivity) I've been using for my dental issues. I still can't do lemon or lime but thought grapefruit was okay but maybe it's not. :(

With CO2 recycling you can try holding your breath for just a few moments (count of 4-6) after breathing in. Don't do it on every breath though. I find doing that lowers my heart rate.

The other thing is to talk to your doctor if the chest tightness continues. You could have asthma or if you had a lot of smoke exposure, COPD developing.

??

This could be food allergies. I get this a lot when I've eaten something I'm sensitive to or for things like the weather being very moist and mold counts being higher.

If you haven't gone fragrance free in your home that might also be something you want to consider.

After a few years on antibiotics off and on, I found some of my sensitivities improved but this chest tightness has come back lately and I wonder if it's the grapefruit seed extract capsules (citrus sensitivity) I've been using for my dental issues. I still can't do lemon or lime but thought grapefruit was okay but maybe it's not. :(

With CO2 recycling you can try holding your breath for just a few moments (count of 4-6) after breathing in. Don't do it on every breath though. I find doing that lowers my heart rate.

The other thing is to talk to your doctor if the chest tightness continues. You could have asthma or if you had a lot of smoke exposure, COPD developing.

??
Thanks. I think I’m not getting rid of oxygen and it’s hanging around and damaging my cells. Is that possible? No fragrances in the home. Never a single cigarette smoked by me or ever in this house but my lungs are hyperinflated and show signs of air trapping. 😞

Alvin2

my lungs are hyperinflated and show signs of air trapping
Then i suggest going to the hospital and getting an x-ray done as you would have some kind of physical medical problem. Supplemental oxygen does not pool in the lungs.

I’ve been so many times. They tell me I’m fine- despite having hyper inflated lungs and the feeling like I’m dying 😞

Alvin2

I’ve been so many times. They tell me I’m fine- despite having hyper inflated lungs and the feeling like I’m dying 😞
Did they do an x-ray or CT to investigate this?
If so have the standard causes been ruled out?

Nope. They weren’t even going to acknowledge the hyperinflation. I took a picture of it and showed it to my RT friend who agreed with me. Then I showed my internist and he agreed with me as well.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
think I’m not getting rid of oxygen and it’s hanging around and damaging my cells. Is that possible?
Idk. That would probably be a question for a pulmonologist.
hyperinflation of the lungs.
My Mom had COPD and iirc this was a part of that.

Have they ever sent you for a breathing test? That's how they were able to determine her breathing capacity.

Alvin2

I think I’m not getting rid of oxygen and it’s hanging around and damaging my cells. Is that possible?
Its not impossible if there is an active process filtering and concentrating a specific gas and containing it. However humans do not have this capacity.
Simple diffusion would prevent pockets of pure oxygen and active systems to filter or concentrate all but one gas are very complex biologically and typically exist only for a specific evolutionary biological process. We have no ability to breathe under water or survive in the vacuum of space so evolution has not granted us those powers.

Nope. They weren’t even going to acknowledge the hyperinflation. I took a picture of it and showed it to my RT friend who agreed with me. Then I showed my internist and he agreed with me as well.
So you need a better doctor.
However lowering your blood oxygenation will not solve your lung problems.

Have they ever sent you for a breathing test?
This is a good idea. That said the oxygenation being 100% suggests he is not starved for air.

Last edited:

Alvin2

Diffusion would cause any pockets of oxygen in the lungs to become identical to air within seconds unless they are pockets with physical barriers as if you inhaled a balloon full of helium and its airtight.

If its open to the lungs it will equilibrate with air virtually instantly and supplemental oxygen does not cause the lungs to create closed structures to contain oxygen.

Idk. That would probably be a question for a pulmonologist.

My Mom had COPD and iirc this was a part of that.

Have they ever sent you for a breathing test? That's how they were able to determine her breathing capacity.
What’s iirc?

Diffusion would cause any pockets of oxygen in the lungs to become identical to air within seconds unless they are pockets with physical barriers as if you inhaled a balloon full of helium and its airtight.

If its open to the lungs it will equilibrate with air virtually instantly and supplemental oxygen does not cause the lungs to create closed structures to contain oxygen.
But I wonder if the supplemental oxygen caused oxidative stress /damage. I have leg weakness now, stuffy nose and I feel drunk 😞 like I’m brain damaged.

Alvin2

But I wonder if the supplemental oxygen caused oxidative stress /damage. I have leg weakness now, stuffy nose and I feel drunk 😞 like I’m brain damaged.
An hour of oxygen is very unlikely to cause such damage that quickly, iirc (which means if i recall correctly) pure oxygen was given to astronauts back in the early days of space travel and there is no known long term harm done to them from it.
Also hyperbaric oxygen is given to millions of people a year and i have never heard of any instances of what you are experiencing.