• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to reduce overstimulation ?

a few months ago I contracted herpes simplex 2 and shortly after finding out I had a very bad panic attack and during the high stress I felt a tingling and Burning sensation move up the back and top of my brain. That night I felt the sensation move from head down my right arm and right leg .

Now anytime i use my phone, drive a car, go underneath fluorescent lighting, get stressed or do anything overstimulating my right arm hurts a lot and gets fasiculations.The pain is not in the muscle itself, it seems to be neurological pain. I'm also having major gut problems and orange colored stool . after I eat my excitotoxicity symptoms get substantially worse like ringing in ears , balance issues and weakness . I've also become very sensitive to smells and have constant lower back pain .
I'm also getting severe acid reflux and have this problem where I keep repeating songs in my head over and over .

If I eat tomatoes or nightshades I get severe migraine and vision issues as well as rashes on skin and pink eye . Reccurent sinus infections as well.

I've had CFS since being a teenager (I'm 31 now ) due to Epstein Barr I think (very high IGG antibodies consistently ) Ive had thrush on tongue and re current athletes foot and fungal infections for years so I believe I'm th2 dominant .

Should I try to boost immune function or suppress it ? Would CBD help with excitotoxicity? im waiting for bloodwork to come back on kidney function , celiac test, thyroid test etc

I know there are a lot of really intelligent people on here and I would really appreciate any advice or info . I'm very scared this is turning into something like ALS. I hope all of you are doing ok and making progress.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
It sounds like you have a lot going on. I'm glad you are pursuing this with your doctor.

im waiting for bloodwork to come back on kidney function , celiac test, thyroid test etc

For the orange colored stool have you spoken to your doctor about taking a fecal test?

Plus, do your tests include liver function? I'm not a medical person but I do think that orange stool can indicate a liver issue. One of the liver's function is clearing bilirubin from the blood which I think lends the brown tint to our stools and if that is lacking you may not be clearing that as well.

Some things you might try if you aren't already would be avoiding those things that you know make you worse such as the nightshades, as well as chemical/environmental toxins, etc. and then trying to get the candida under control. Allergies and candida issues can magnify all the other issues you are having. (As my environmental doctor says, "Everything is cumulative.")

I mostly stopped having sinus infections when I got rid of many of my allergy foods such as cow's milk dairy. Plus, except for stress and a recent stupid trial at 5-HTP/L-Tryptophan for sleep issues, I was managing my IBS fairly well with avoidance. (Do not use those if you have IBS. They can make it much worse. This article talks about people with IBS having a hard time clearing serotonin from the intestines.)

Someone on a recent post also mentioned ringing in the ears (Tinnitus) being a sign of candida infection so I would start with those.

I've been wanting to try Jarrow S. Boullardi with MOS because the MOS is suppose to attract the candida bacteria to it and then pass it out of the intestines without actually killing the candida (which would cause a Herx reaction) but I do have an allergy to yeast and S.Boullardi is technically a yeast. I wouldn't try it if you have a allergy to yeast but thought I would mention it in case you don't.

Hope some of these ideas help. Others will probably have some good thoughts to offer you as well. I hope your doctor will at least be able to rule out ALS (or something as scary) for you.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Hi @Muddy - first, you're right - there are a lot of very intelligent people on this board and I hope some of them weigh in here. I just did a little research and found that HSV-2 can affect the nervous system, particularly in persons with compromised immune systems. Have you talked to your doctor about this? You might need to be on an antiviral such as acyclovir. I would explain to him or her, if you haven't already, the symptoms you experienced - the burning sensation up your head and so on, and now the resulting overstimulation - they might be related, or not.

I wouldn't start thinking about ALS, but to me it sounds like your immune system needs some support. A few years ago I had very high titres of HHV-6 but I was not seeing a doctor then who used antivirals, well, actually, who even paid attention to the numbers. Somehow in the ensuing 2 years or so I got my HHV-6 down quite a bit, I'm guessing just from trying to support my immune system and body as much as I could - e.g., adequate D3, vitamin A from fish oil (not beta carotene), lots of vitamin C, I've avoided sugar for ages and so on.

I used to have a terrible time with recurrent sinus infections, which are pretty much controlled now with andrographis. I've very recently added in cordyceps and astragalus (from Bulk Supplements - I'm beginning to think most of the herbs in capsules from the major companies just are not very potent, but I've found the products from Bulk Supplements in general to be very good)

about your recurrent thrush and fungal infections - did you ever do an anti-candida diet? off of sugar? Several years ago I had trouble with candida and took virgin coconut oil which is high in caprylic acid and lauric acid which are antifungal - it was very effective, it caused a strong herx reaction. It made me feel like crap for 11 days but it worked.

I'm not telling you to do what I did. You might need an antiviral, or you could have something else going on too. I wish I could give you a definitive answer, but no one here can give you medical advice.

place

Be Strong!
I know many may disagree but I rotate anti-virals and anti fungal ( mainly diflucan). It’s like my body can’t take care of basic maintenance, so I have to take stuff to knock it back.
when I over work myself, I get cold sores, warts, thrush, etc. once I got on a rotation the anti’s, that all stopped, my energy and cognition improved greatly.

Also, got rid of gluten and dairy!

Hip

See: Five ways to reduce your ME/CFS "wired but tired" hyperaroused brain state

after I eat my excitotoxicity symptoms get substantially worse like ringing in ears , balance issues and weakness

Excitotoxicity is where the glutamate stimulation of neurons is so severe it results in death or damage of these brain cells. I am not sure if it ever gets that bad in ME/CFS, though excitotoxicity is postulated to occur in some neurodegenerative diseases like multiple sclerosis or Parkinson's.

I appreciate all of the replies and advice , basically I guess I'm just gonna try to slowly boost my immune system .

Anyone have any luck with things like echinacea?

taniaaust1

I appreciate all of the replies and advice , basically I guess I'm just gonna try to slowly boost my immune system .

Anyone have any luck with things like echinacea?

Nope.. I tried echinacea for quite a while, it did nothing at all. I also tried things like olive leaf extract. That was no help either. I do find a good vitamin C complex (note it should have several types of bioflavonoids to help absorption of the C...most brands are crap) though helpful at times for my immune system in larger doses (but I dont suggest do that all the time as the body can adjust to taking it and that in itself may cause issues)

My white blood cell count is 4.5, which seems low from what I've read . I'm also getting an ammonia smell from time to time which I think comes from poor digestion of protein . I've become very sensitive to histamines and nightshade foods as well .

Anyone had any luck with digestive enzymes ? I read drinking celery juice increases stomach acid production .

I think virus got in brain and is causing cellular stress thruout body resulting in poor digestion ...