• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

How to deal with low folate?

jason30

Legumes are loaded with vitamin B9, I wholeheartedly recommend them.

By dry weight, chickpeas and mung beans have the highest content, about 600mcg per 100g, navy beans 400mcg, green lentils 480mcg and red lentils 200mcg. You can also buy chickpea flour that's 440mcg and make flatbreads or banana bread with it. I did a whole year of high legumes diet so I managed to get 800mcg of vitamin B9 from food, sometimes even more and it was delicious. Falafel is awesome.

As long as legumes are soaked, rinsed and cooked long enough, I found they're easy to digest. Red split lentils in my experience are good to start with. Regular veggies like cabbage also are a good source, but it is usually below 80mcg. You can eat liver which is very rich in vitamin B9, 590mcg for chicken liver and duck liver has even more, they also have a lot of B12. Many people can't tolerate different B9 supplements, so there's always food.
Thanks a lot, will look into those food sources.

jason30

I take potassium glycinate - 200 mg with each meal, 200 mg before bed and 200 mg more middle of the night. But we're all different - some people need more and some need less potassium.

When I take potassium gluconate powder with some water then I need to pee very fast. I don't have that with magnesium, or with an electrolyte sup (sodium ,potassium and magnesium), or anything else.
Do you by change have an idea why the urge to pee comes after intake of potassium gluconate? Imbalance of electrolytes? I am pretty sure I have/take enough sodium.

jason30

@Mary Hmmm it seems that the adrenal glands produce the steroid hormones cortisol and aldosterone. Cortisol regulates the body’s reaction to stressful situations. Aldosterone helps with sodium and potassium regulation. When the adrenals don't produce the hormone aldosterone enough, then this affects the sodium and potassium regulation.

Mary

Moderator Resource
Do you by change have an idea why the urge to pee comes after intake of potassium gluconate? Imbalance of electrolytes?

Sorry @jason30 , but I don't know why this is. You might be on the right track above re aldosterone. You might do a separate thread about this or do a search about increased urination.