• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Heterogenous circulating miRNA changes in ME/CFS converge on a unified cluster of target genes: A computational analysis (Kaczmarek 2023)

Murph

:)

Heterogenous circulating miRNA changes in ME/CFS converge on a unified cluster of target genes: A computational analysis

• Mateusz Piotr Kaczmarek

Abstract​

Myalgic Encephalomyelitis / Chronic Fatigue Syndrome is a debilitating, multisystem disease of unknown mechanism, with a currently ongoing search for its endocrine mediators. Circulating microRNAs (miRNA) are a promising candidate for such a mediator and have been reported as significantly different in the patient population versus healthy controls by multiple studies. None of these studies, however, agree with each other on which specific miRNA are under- or over-expressed. This discrepancy is the subject of the computational study presented here, in which a deep dive into the predicted gene targets and their functional interactions is conducted, revealing that the aberrant circulating miRNAs in ME/CFS, although different between patients, seem to mainly target the same specific set of genes (p ≈ 0.0018), which are very functionally related to each other (p ≲ 0.0001).

Further analysis of these functional relations, based on directional pathway information, points to impairments in exercise hyperemia, angiogenic adaptations to hypoxia, antioxidant defenses, and TGF-β signaling, as well as a shift towards mitochondrial fission, corroborating and explaining previous direct observations in ME/CFS. Many transcription factors and epigenetic modulators are implicated as well, with currently uncertain downstream combinatory effects. As the results show significant similarity to previous research on latent herpesvirus involvement in ME/CFS, the possibility of a herpesvirus origin of these miRNA changes is also explored through further computational analysis and literature review, showing that 8 out of the 10 most central miRNAs analyzed are known to be upregulated by various herpesviruses. In total, the results establish an appreciable and possibly central role for circulating microRNAs in ME/CFS etiology that merits further experimental research.

--
The top thing he found was low VEGFA as this table shows.

The paragraph explaining vegf was very interesting. My bolding:

Translational suppression of VEGF-A by circulating miRNAs implies impaired ability to adapt to hypoxia in ME/CFS patients​

A sizable amount of the main findings from this analysis are consistent with experimental data in ME/CFS. Firstly, the most inhibited gene by far is VEGFA, coding for the Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor, a major secreted mediator of angiogenesis. Indeed VEGF-A levels in ME/CFS patients are decreased, as reported by Landi et al [24]. Gusnanto et al also found decreased VEGF-A as associated with ME/CFS status in a multivariate logistic regression analysis [25]. The miRNA suppression of VEGFA in ME/CFS would imply an impaired ability to adapt to hypoxia. This is of primary concern, as impaired oxygen extraction and delivery to working muscle and brain as revealed by various imaging techniques, as well as lower VO2 max seen in cardiopulmonary testing, are well-established findings in ME/CFS [2633], and activity-dependent hypoxia caused by loss of functional sympatholysis has been proposed as a major mechanism involved in the disease pathophysiology [34]. A strong suppression of VEGF-A on the translational level can explain how such dysfunctions can persist chronically without angiogenic adaptation and how VEGF-A levels can not only be not elevated but actually measure lower than healthy controls who lack pathologic hypoxia. In addition to this canonical role in long-term angiogenic adaptations, recently a new function of VEGF-A has been established in the more immediate vasodilative regulation of bloodflow during muscle activity (exercise hyperemia). Skeletal muscle-specific deletion of VEGFA in mice resulted in decreased exercise capacity, without significant vascular changes, a picture reminiscent of ME/CFS [link]

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0296060

Last edited:

datadragon

The top thing he found was low VEGFA as this table shows. recently a new function of VEGF-A has been established in the more immediate vasodilative regulation of bloodflow during muscle activity (exercise hyperemia). Skeletal muscle-specific deletion of VEGFA in mice resulted in decreased exercise capacity, without significant vascular changes, a picture reminiscent of ME/CFS

Zinc regulates a specific subpopulation of VEGFA + microglia to improve the hypoxic microenvironment for functional recovery after spinal cord injury​

Zinc promotes functional recovery after spinal cord injury by regulating VEGF-A secretion from microglia. Zinc promoted microglia secretion of VEGF-A, increased vascular endothelial cell proliferation and migration through the PI3K/AKT/Bcl-2 pathway, and inhibited microglia apoptosis.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37883817/

Zinc significantly increased the protein levels of HIF‐1α, VEGF‐A, and VEGF‐R2 in astrocytes, and promoted angiogenesis during cerebral ischemia repair. In vitro and in vivo studies confirmed that zinc promoted angiogenesis via the astrocyte‐mediated HIF‐1α/VEGF signaling pathway.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9532912/

A total of 1457 miRNAs were detected for participants in zinc-miRNAs discovery set, as well as 1385 miRNAs in both of T2DM and healthy control groups. In the stage of screening zinc exposure-related miRNAs, we observed that 121 miRNAs were significantly associated with urinary zinc levels. Among them, 82 miRNAs significantly increased and 39 miRNAs decreased with increasing urinary zinc

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0160412023000806

Zinc downregurates HIF-1α levels and suppresses intratumoral VEGF expression for the angiogenic tumor progression that zinc induces HIF-1α proteasomal degradation, and Zinc finger transcription restrains VEGF in angiogenesis that vascular formation in the chromatin insulator-binding factor (CTCF) binds to the proximal promoter of VEGF

https://www.arcjournals.org/pdfs/ajiv/v5-i1/1.pdf Yes if that wasnt clear from earlier posts, HIF1a induces expression of WASF3 under hypoxic conditions. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...s-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.90582/post-2443763

Last edited:

Murph

Zinc regulates a specific subpopulation of VEGFA + microglia to improve the hypoxic microenvironment for functional recovery after spinal cord injury​

Zinc promotes functional recovery after spinal cord injury by regulating VEGF-A secretion from microglia. Zinc promoted microglia secretion of VEGF-A, increased vascular endothelial cell proliferation and migration through the PI3K/AKT/Bcl-2 pathway, and inhibited microglia apoptosis.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/37883817/

Zinc significantly increased the protein levels of HIF‐1α, VEGF‐A, and VEGF‐R2 in astrocytes, and promoted angiogenesis during cerebral ischemia repair. In vitro and in vivo studies confirmed that zinc promoted angiogenesis via the astrocyte‐mediated HIF‐1α/VEGF signaling pathway.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC9532912/

A total of 1457 miRNAs were detected for participants in zinc-miRNAs discovery set, as well as 1385 miRNAs in both of T2DM and healthy control groups. In the stage of screening zinc exposure-related miRNAs, we observed that 121 miRNAs were significantly associated with urinary zinc levels. Among them, 82 miRNAs significantly increased and 39 miRNAs decreased with increasing urinary zinc

Zinc downregurates HIF-1α levels and suppresses intratumoral VEGF expression for the angiogenic tumor progression that zinc induces HIF-1α proteasomal degradation, and Zinc finger transcription restrains VEGF in angiogenesis that vascular formation in the chromatin insulator-binding factor (CTCF) binds to the proximal promoter of VEGF

https://www.arcjournals.org/pdfs/ajiv/v5-i1/1.pdf Yes if that wasnt clear from earlier posts, HIF1a induces expression of WASF3 under hypoxic conditions. https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...s-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.90582/post-2443763
Do you own a large strategic stockpile of Zn by any chance? ;)

seriously though I might have to add Zinc to my supplement stack!

necessary8

Lmao you posted it before I could. Hi, that's my paper. I'm the author. Ask me anything,
(Yes, this is where I've been the past few years. Learning bioinf and doing projects like these behind the scenes. This is the first one that turned out good enough to publish. More to come in the next few years hopefully)

necessary8

seriously though I might have to add Zinc to my supplement stack!
I think zinc is good to take anyways, but it won't do anything about the VEGF suppression. None of these dysfunctions can be treated directly, actually. Because this is miRNA, suppression on the translational level is nearly impossible to overcome with a drug. For treatment, we'd need to do more invitro experiments to find out the full downstrem effects of these changes, and in what tissues they occur, and treat those (symptomatic treatment), or find out what's upstream of the shit in miRNA, and treat that (root cause treatment).

junkcrap50

Lmao you posted it before I could. Hi, that's my paper. I'm the author. Ask me anything,
(Yes, this is where I've been the past few years. Learning bioinf and doing projects like these behind the scenes. This is the first one that turned out good enough to publish. More to come in the next few years hopefully)
Absolutely incredible work @necessary8 ! Bravo, bravo, bravo! This seems like breakthrough work. Have you contacted any ME/CFS researchers who may benefit from this research?

I recall you had developed a pretty well thought out theory of ME/CFS several years ago, although it was not related to this paper. What resulted in that?

I think zinc is good to take anyways, but it won't do anything about the VEGF suppression. None of these dysfunctions can be treated directly, actually. Because this is miRNA, suppression on the translational level is nearly impossible to overcome with a drug. For treatment, we'd need to do more invitro experiments to find out the full downstrem effects of these changes, and in what tissues they occur, and treat those (symptomatic treatment), or find out what's upstream of the shit in miRNA, and treat that (root cause treatment).
If the cause of this is herpes virus miRNA from latent herpes cellular infections (persistent virus theory), would eliminating the hidden herpes virus (in any way*, even hypothetically) resolve MECFS? In otherwords is the miRNA a sustained trigger to keep ME/CFS active or has it reset the boy to a new equilibrium that needs a reversal of translational changes?

*through targeted T-cell immune therapy, vaccines, reactivation/lytic induction antiviral therapy, or other EBV-related MS treatment breakthroughs that made news last couple years. (I have a hunch which I'd like to try is to do lytic induction therapy for herpes virus using IV butyrate & IV Cidofir.)

necessary8

Can these miRNAs be suppressed in just the brain without showing noticeable decline in muscle strength and stamina?
I don't think that's likely. I think for the patients who seem to have a lot of neuro symptoms but not much in the other organs like muscle, a separate mechanism is likey at play. I think the recent OMF study showing demyelinating antibodies is a good candidate for it.
This seems like breakthrough work.
Hardly, tho thanks for the kindness. Unfortunately ME/CFS is very multi-faceted, with a lot of parts to it. I've been trying to put those parts together for a long time. This study is just a small fragment of what I imagine the whole thing will look like.

Have you contacted any ME/CFS researchers who may benefit from this research?
Well, the whole idea for this study came from some discussions I had with Prusty 3 years ago. He went more in the cytokine direction from what I've seen, I decided to do a deep dive on the miRNA. I hope to talk with him about it at some point again.
I recall you had developed a pretty well thought out theory of ME/CFS several years ago, although it was not related to this paper. What resulted in that?
Which one do you mean? I wrote like 6 separate ones, lol. 3 of which were published on this forum.
If the cause of this is herpes virus miRNA from latent herpes cellular infections (persistent virus theory), would eliminating the hidden herpes virus (in any way*, even hypothetically) resolve MECFS?
Yes. IF the latent HHV is the only major source of the circulating miRNA shift, and IF these are the main endocrine mediator of ME/CFS, then yes, it absolutely should. But that's two big and questionable "if"s. I will also say that if they turn out to be true, you don't even necessairly need to completely get rid of the virus. Latent HHV-6 is present in over 90% of the human population. Clearly in all those other people it's not doing whatever it is that it's possibly doing in ME/CFS. Maybe all we need is to know what's the difference and how to flip that.

Murph

Wow! congrats on the paper. I was thinking about your epic purinergic signalling thread just the other day when I was looking at the purines found by germain, hanson et al. ADP the same as controls; adenosine lower. There's definitely something happening there.

i'm not as statistically capable as you are but I did wrangle the hanson metabolite data a little and give it an accessible front end. You may find it useful to check it out here: https://jasemurphy.shinyapps.io/Germainetal2022/

Murph

This paper adds value and creates new findings without any lab work, by synthesising four existing papers.

A similar tack has been taken by this paper from Lipkin's team:
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-cohorts-brydges-che-lipkin-fiehn-2023.90957/

They bundled together several metabolomic studies and used the extra statistical power (plus some different statistical techniques) to make novel findings.

https://forums.phoenixrising.me/thr...-cohorts-brydges-che-lipkin-fiehn-2023.90957/

It goes to show there is still some low-ish hanging fruit there for the picking. A person with a laptop, some statistical skills and some patience can add value to the field. I have loads of metabolomics data on the computer i'm using right now and the intent to pick some of that fruit myself.

I even started a thread to show some of what I found, but 2023 turned into a series of challenges and I didn't get too far with it.
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/murphs-metabolomics-analysis.89393/

1674600917724-png.50445

Part of what was dispiriting was how few metabolites were actually in common between the studies! It's possible to have two metabolomic studies each with 1000 metabolites measured and find only 50 in common. But i'm reassured by the approach @necessary8 took, finding the systems in common even when the actual molecules are different. I could restart this

necessary8

It goes to show there is still some low-ish hanging fruit there for the picking. A person with a laptop, some statistical skills and some patience can add value to the field. I have loads of metabolomics data on the computer i'm using right now and the intent to pick some of that fruit myself.
Lol, my next study is about metabolomics actually. XD
Also, @Murph, could you please edit your initial post to include the link to the actual paper of mine? There was quite a hefty fee to publish open-access, so I want everyone to be able to find the link without scouring the thread or googling the title: https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371/journal.pone.0296060
Also if you're posting a picture from it, Fig 3 is a much better summarization of most targeted genes than the Table 3 which you posted - that one is just super initial data that is later fed to a much more indepth analysis, results from which are picture in Fig 3.

Last edited:

SlamDancin

Hey @necessary8 , I saw your paper on pubmed and saw it was authored by a single independent researcher. Not surprised to learn it was you! Like Murph said that purinergic thread was indeed epic. Haven’t read the full thing yet but my immediate question is do you think the miRNA changes to translation can be countered through other epigenetic mechanisms say like HDAC inhibition? I know there are some epigenetic regulators let’s call them that alter miRNAs along with several other epigenetic pathways. In my research into HDAC inhibitors I know that BHB and GABA are two endogenous examples of that and I just read that BHB does alter miRNAs directly

necessary8

Hey @necessary8do you think the miRNA changes to translation can be countered through other epigenetic mechanisms say like HDAC inhibition?
If you're talking about epigenetically upregulating the target genes of the miRNAs, then no, definitely not. Translational suppression doesn't care about epigenetics, it will persist no matter what you do on transcription level.
I know there are some epigenetic regulators let’s call them that alter miRNAs along with several other epigenetic pathways.
This might be a different case. If you can find stuff upstream of the miRNA and interfere with their production or transport, then sure. But we know very little about how that works right now, so you can't target a treatment at it yet. And it definitely isn't as simple as blanket-suppressing all miRNA productions. You need those to live. They comprise a very complex, diverse and important system of regulation and cell to cell communication. We need to understand where the shift change is coming from and how to restore it back to normal.

datadragon

do you think the miRNA changes to translation can be countered through other epigenetic mechanisms say like HDAC inhibition?
Yes see my post here as one example. The expression of Aicda- or Prdm1-targeting miRNAs can be modulated by histone deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors (HDIs), including short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) butyrate and propionate, which alter histone acetylation in the host genes of these miRNAs. By altering chromatin accessibility, HDIs alter gene expression.
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/bc007-what-are-your-thoughts.87520/#post-2441668

Hmmm. miRNAs levels are changed via zinc status. Many HDACs are actually zinc-dependent enzymes which require the zinc ion for the catalytic reaction which also can alter histone acetylation in the host genes of MiRNAs, yet another reason I keep mentioning zinc in tandem with other solutions. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6009916/ Butyrate is a strong HDAC inhibitor, as is 4-phenylbutyric acid. https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-018-36941-9 and https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/kjm2.12376 Remember that under inflammation/infection zinc uptake is lowered and further made less available when pro inflammatory cytokines are present as I've been posting. Low butyrate is but one single downstream effect.

Thyroid hormones are essential for the absorption of zinc, and hence hypothyroidism can result in acquired zinc deficiency, my reason for taking Zinc,
Just some general info. Zinc and Vitamin A are needed for thyroid. All PPARs heterodimerize with the retinoid X receptor (RXR) and bind to specific regions on the DNA of target genes - Retinoid X receptor (RXR) requires Vitamin A. The RXR also forms a heterodimer with a number of other receptors (e.g., vitamin D and thyroid hormone). Vitamin A is crucial in activating Retinoid X Receptors (RXR), which is also required for PPAR activation. Zinc is involved in Vitamin A metabolism and vice versa. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23440512/
https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/dang-those-vitamin-d3-levels.91152/post-2450071

zinc is important as a cofactor for thyroid function. Zinc is a key mineral that helps make thyroid releasing hormone (TRH) in your brain, which then signals your pituitary to make thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH). Low zinc is associated with low T3 (active thyroid hormone) and a reduced ability to convert T4 to T3. Zinc is not stored in any organ so can be deficient especially with higher copper, metals or under stress. https://www.wellnessresources.com/news/zinc-alcohol-damage-and-thyroid-function

Being deficient in Vitamin A prevents you from being able to use thyroid hormone. Vitamin A needs zinc and magnesium to convert to active forms. https://www.forefronthealth.com/vitamin-a-and-hypothyroidism/ Magnesium and Zinc are both involved with PTH. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3336286

SWAlexander

I know there are some epigenetic regulators let’s call them that alter miRNAs along with several other epigenetic pathways.
My open question would be, are there any overlooked facts:
Note that the response of miRNAs to changes in gene expression, whether due to gene loss or methylation, is highly context-dependent. It can vary greatly depending on the specific miRNAs and genes involved, as well as the type of cell and organism. Additionally, the regulatory networks in cells are very complex, and miRNAs are just one part of this intricate system of gene regulation.
Example:
  • If a gene is missing, the miRNA that normally targets this gene may not find its usual binding site on the mRNA. This lack of binding can lead to a lack of suppression of other target genes, potentially causing a dysregulation of those genes.
  • The miRNA might find alternative mRNA targets, which could lead to unintended gene silencing or activation effects in the cell.
  • DNA methylation can affect gene expression. When a gene is methylated, its expression is usually reduced or silenced.
  • If the target gene of an miRNA is methylated and thus not expressed, the miRNA cannot bind to its target mRNA, potentially leading to an accumulation of the miRNA. This excess miRNA might then interact with other mRNAs, possibly causing off-target effects.
  • Moreover, the methylation of DNA can also influence the expression of miRNAs themselves. Some miRNAs are downregulated or upregulated in response to changes in DNA methylation patterns.

necessary8

@datadragon Sure, it's easy to find something that changes miRNA expression in some way. That's not the difficulty. The difficulty is trying to elicit a very specific change, in a very specific set of cells, which I remind you, we don't know what they are yet. The space of all possible changes to miRNA activity is larger than the number of atoms in the observable universe. Random interventions will at best do nothing, at worst kill you. Take your vitamins and minerals, but don't expect them to fix the miRNA landscape in any meaningful way. I do think HDAC inhibitors are interesting, but for other reasons entirely, and honestly it's way too early to speculate on stuff like that. We need more info about what exactly is causing the miRNA shift. Trying to change it without knowing that is a futile effort, in my opinion.

@SWAlexander, your last point is correct, the other 4 I would disagree with. If you have a gene that's turned off by miRNA and then you change things like methylation or delete the gene from the DNA or whatever - now the gene is still turned off. Nothing changed. I'm super skeptical of the whole "what if it finds different targets" idea. Feel free to change my mind with a source, but as far as I know if you're not altering its sequence, its targets won't change.

SWAlexander

necessary8

I’m here to extend my knowledge and if necessary correct wrong thinking.
If I understand correctly miRNAs are small, non-coding RNA molecules that play a crucial role in regulating gene expression at the post-transcriptional level. Their primary function is to control the activity of specific target genes and miRNAs regulate gene expression by binding to complementary sequences on messenger RNA (mRNA) molecules.

May I ask: What If miRNAs were to encounter double-stranded DNA (dsDNA)

Would you agree miRNAs are not naturally designed to interact with dsDNA? Their structure and mode of action are optimized for binding to RNA, which is usually single-stranded in the context of miRNA interaction.

In the context of concerns about methylated genes following viral and bacterial infections, as well as stress-related illnesses, it is understandable why the focus might shift more toward DNA methylation and its implications.

Yes, miRNAs can serve as biomarkers for various diseases, including those related to infections and stress. The remaining question is, will available treatments affect all equally?

Last edited:

necessary8

miRNA interaction with double-stranded DNA has been proposed computationally, but I've never seen a paper that would show this actually happening in any living organism at all, let alone mammals, let alone ME/CFS patients. I wouldn't categorically exclude it as a possibility, but no, I don't think it's a good reason to "shift focus towards DNA methylation".

But I could always be missing something, so feel free to shoot me a source if you think that's the case.

Also, don't get me wrong, I think epigenetic mechanisms are quite likely to play a role in ME/CFS, probably even in more than one way at the same time. But I just like to deal in fairly concrete specifics, personally, as to not get lost in the sauce.