• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Going under/anesthesia as a last resort

judyinthesky

Has anyone's doctor ever suggested to be made unconscious and then treated (with anti neuroinflammation medication, medication that one usually wouldn't tolerate, TPN), potentially as a last resort to a situation where nothing at all is tolerated?

I have my doubts that the body wouldn't reject things later. Also there seems to be nociception even under GA.

Thoughts appreciated.

judyinthesky

I couldn't stand the hospital environment. I would be interested if anyone else has ever done this or heard of it, maybe also for other neuroinflammatory conditions. Thank you

judyinthesky

I've nothing substantive to offer @judyinthesky, but wanted to say that I am thinking of you and do, often. It would be so lovely if this were a successful option for you.
Thanks. It sounds rather hypothetical but it would be interesting to know the science of it. My reactions definitely extend beyond the level of a few weeks.

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Is it even a possibility? I mean have you found a doctor/hospital willing to do that for you?

And I don't want to sidetrack your thread that much but I do wonder if you and your doctor have looked into other things like Autoimmune Encephalitis. I believe they treat that with things like IVIG. I just wonder if that could be helpful to you.

judyinthesky

Yes my love has discussed this with one of my ME doctors, and yes I've done a lumbar puncture a long time ago to exclude this, from which I have one or two chronic iatrogenic CSF leaks. I don't have any autoimmune markers and had extensive testing, but I wouldn't tolerate medication anyways. Things like IV would have to be done under anesthesia due to extreme hypersensitivity to environmental stimuli and every medication. Hence the question.

Yes this is why I'm asking, regarding the possibility and whether anyone knows about it.

For reference, a knife full of harmless medication puts me in month long agony. (is it even a possibility? :) yes it is)

Faith2007

Perhaps a possible benefit would be if you have a psychological component to your allergy/allergies. I'll explain. So I have had NAET done on me, which works for some people for the removal of allergies. It involves Kinesiology, where in the beginning stage the doctor checks to see if you have a psychological connection to the allergy, or if it just physical.

An example of this:
When I studied psychology in college, I remember reading about a case with multiple personality disorder where one personality was allergic to orange juice (I think breaking out in hives), yet another personality had no allergic response to drinking orange juice.

I never had a psychological connection to my allergies.

L'engle

moogle
I wonder if there's something more like a rest home that would do this, rather than a hospital? May be more likely in Europe where they had all the health spas in the mountains for alternative treatments.

Sorry to hear your situation is so bad that this is what you are looking into.

judyinthesky

The situation is so bad that it doesn't even seem to be a possibility lol

Thank you

There's no psychological component other than neuropsych mast cell effects (they can release serotonin) and inflammatory PEM.

But in my humble view anesthesia itself can have a disturbing effect on the ANS and has done so in the past to me even when I was healthy, with a harmless surgery.

Faith2007

But in my humble view anesthesia itself can have a disturbing effect on the ANS and has done so in the past to me even when I was healthy, with a harmless surgery.
It sounds to me like you are more concerned about the TPN, but I just wanted to let you know that hypnosis is successfully being used in replacement of anesthesia. Here's an example of it being used with children for superficial surgery: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/36690538/

I wish you the best in finding a solution.

judyinthesky

In my position and reactions to anything it's reasonable to think about the potential issues. ;)
Not more concerned about TPN.. about anything really as my body rejects anything and I'm not sure that this is the solution.

Hence asking.