• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

gaining weight after omega 3 (fish oil) supplementation after only 1 week??

Alvin2

The good news is patients don't die the bad news..
what toxins?

plants make their own toxins, A LOT of them. salicylat is just one and salicylatintolerance is known.
Everything from pesticides to heavy metals and more.
We even have to be careful eating fish because of the mercury.

Wayne

why is this happening? something with those long chain PUFAs seam to be not beneficial for me. its definitely not the calories. despite the added 100cal from the fish oil, i eat at least 100-200cal less of carbs from bread.
My best guess is your body is reacting to something in those fish oils, and trying to dilute it in your body by holding onto water, perhaps creating some kind of edema. I'd suggest trying a different brand that you haven't yet tried, and see if it makes a difference. If not, then it appears your body just can't handle fish oils. Might krill oil be an alternate option?

linusbert

My best guess is your body is reacting to something in those fish oils, and trying to dilute it in your body by holding onto water, perhaps creating some kind of edema. I'd suggest trying a different brand that you haven't yet tried, and see if it makes a difference. If not, then it appears your body just can't handle fish oils. Might krill oil be an alternate option?
krill oil isnt working for me. seams to be histamine or so, idk.
i cant find good fish oils, they are all with tons of additives.

GreenEdge

@linusbert, After fasting for 6 days I've lost 2.5kg (typical for 6 day fast) so my starting weight must have been higher than I thought.

My physique is now like it was before this event happened (with almost no loose skin) and I've retained muscle mass. The crazy thing was I'd gained fat as well as loose skin, which is weird and is now gone.

I now wished I'd taken a before photo because no one would believe it's possible.

Last edited:

GreenEdge

I don't have much fat left, so what I'm now accessing could have been deposited back in the 80s and 90's when we were encouraged to substitute margarine for butter. Back then the danger of trans fats was unknown.

Infections and allergies​

The immune system’s role is to defend the body from disease and infection. When the immune system detects an unwanted invader, such as bacteria or an allergen, it will mount an attack. Inflammation is part ofTrusted Source this process.

When inflammation occurs, the body releases histamine. Histamine causes the gaps between the cells of the capillary walls to widen. It does this to allow infection-fighting white blood cells to reach the site of inflammation.

However, it can also allow fluid to leak from the capillaries into the surrounding tissues. The swelling that results from this is usually short-term.

People with long-term inflammation may experience water retention.

Conclusion:
  1. Fat is retrieved in the order of last in first out (LIFO) - explained by 2 & 3.
  2. Since fat cells contain their own energy store, only accessible fat is serviced by blood vessels.
  3. As a layer of fat cells is depleted, blood vessels grow and penetrate into the next layer.
  4. Our immune system can only see the currently accessible fat cells - explained by 2 & 3.
  5. Old fat cells containing tans fats are causing inflammation.
  6. Inflammation would explain the sudden increase in size of fat cells.

Last edited: