• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

FUNCAP55 Assessing Functional Capacity in ME/CFS

BrightCandle

A Norwegian research group has developed a much better functional capacity questionnaire which doesn't have the usual mental health biased language. It was mapped to severity so you can get a good measure of where you are from just the questions.

A community member called Rafa has developed a web page that makes this very easy to do and is easier than adding it up yourself and using the supplement to the paper.

You can do the test here: https://raffbenato.github.io/funcap55/

You then map your overall score to this chart found in the study.

FUNCAP55 Results.png

The paper: https://www.preprints.org/manuscript/202309.2091/v1

I get 2.10 (Severe)

leelaplay

This is so useful. Thanks Rafa! I scored 144. The FUNCAP55 is the most accurate functional capacity questionnaire I've seen in 20+ years. It would be great if the Norwegians did this as a published addendum, and added a further step where one's results are plotted on the ME Severity inl HC chart. Then physicians could use it in their office, or patients could bring it to their doctors.

BrightCandle

This is so useful. Thanks Rafa! I scored 144. The FUNCAP55 is the most accurate functional capacity questionnaire I've seen in 20+ years. It would be great if the Norwegians did this as a published addendum, and added a further step where one's results are plotted on the ME Severity inl HC chart. Then physicians could use it in their office, or patients could bring it to their doctors.
I think its got a few issues still but I agree its the least biased one I have seen. I have some issues around the distinction between 0 and 1 (there is a gap for PEM lasting weeks or is 0 just worse than 1) and 5 to 6 (since everything has a cost just not necessarily at what is reasonable within a day). I also think a few of the questions compound problems, working from home and travelling might be very different as is the type of work. Then there are things like parties which is under sound but one compounding factor is getting to the party and what type of party it is and whether someone can sit or lay down. Still for all its little holes that might bias an individual score one way or the other I think its the best attempt I have seen at producing a usable functional capacity questionnaire.

maddietod

This is so much better than every other test I've tried. I like that I could skip questions that aren't relevant. This probably skews results, but I like not being forced.