• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Feeling so much guilt as a mum :(

Jemima37

@Jemima37

Julie I can only imagine how hard it must be. You used to be mild/moderate and are now on the severe scale. I am moderate, with ma condition very slowly deteriorating over the last few years of the illness starting. I was made aware how much rest is important, and not overdoing it. And I followed that advice, but even then, I didn’t get better.

It really is frustrating. I think the only thing you can do right now is forgive yourself and allow your body the rest it needs. Do not try to fight this. And when you finally have a good day, enjoy it but keep resting. Hopefully down the line you will get a better quality of life, even it it’s not like it used to be.

I really wish you the best. And hope better days are coming soon your way.
Can you recommend any books for living more zen? I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Julie x

Rufous McKinney

My anxiety has hit hard since cfs got worse and the panic attacks are new to me too.

I experience alot of anxiety and its a key aspect of this illness from my perspective. I used to have panic attacks which now have rather converted to: General Anxiety. I think I went for a number of years NOT understanding that was a Panic Attack...I went to the ER once thinking I was having a heart attack after a red-eye flight and no sleep for 36 hours. My fellow travelers were fine. I will NEVER DO THAT AGAIN. So how can an intelligent person not recognize whats going on...well, I just didn't really understand what is this awful feeling of dread?

I really have to watch blood sugar which affects all that.

Very simple things generally now cause a type of sudden spooked horse feeling...and since thinking hurts when in the worst of it, it seems really understandable to be anxious. We've created an incredibly complex existence, and I think even HEALTHY FOLKS feel this overwhelm. So we feel extra-overwhelmed.

"I don't want to call and order the Chinese food: you do it"....thats typical here.

I have used Emotional Freedom Technique (tapping) with some success, altho its has not resulted in long term help. The method has a general calming effect on the nerves; you might look into that. I got thru San Francisco, while freaking out, by doing EFT on the 101 in Marin while my daughter drove. I think it somewhat short circuits the brain loop that the anxiety is caught in.

Rufous

Hip

I posted here a few months ago regarding the huge anxiety setback I've had and since that I've been in another long cfs crash after a great few months last summer.

If you want to consider the anti-anxiety supplements that I found very effective, especially the N-acetyl-glucosamine (NAG), see this thread.

Ive developed severe depression in the last 8 months.

I've recently been getting reasonable results from the antidepressant drug moclobemide 75 mg daily, which is one of the few antidepressants that have a low risk of causing the side effect of emotional flattening (my emotions are already pretty flat, as this is an ME/CFS symptom, so I don't want to take anything that makes it worse).

Unfortunately moclobemide is not licensed in the US, but it can be bought online.

place

Be Strong!
Just wanted to say, forgive yourself. I think hip is right, work on your chemistry and you will see things in a different light.

Also there are many single parents out there because they are single or have a spouse who works all the time or travels for work. Or a spouse who refuses to help out with domestic duties.

Also, you are teaching your kids to be self sufficient and independent. You would not believe how many college students are utterly incompetent( we have to hire and then fire many college kids because there parents did everything for them).

The are positives and negatives to EVERYTHING.

Dechi

Can you recommend any books for living more zen? I'd really appreciate it.

Thank you.

Julie x

I have GAD (generalized anxiety) so it’s really hard for me to have peace of mind. What helped me the most was my therapist, and guided meditation. There are free apps for that purpose on the web.

You can do it for 10-15 minutes a day and you will see results after a few days or weeks. Look at different apps, and try one where you like the voice. It takes me a while to find one because I’m really picky about what voices I find relaxing. Try female and man.

Rufous McKinney

I have GAD (generalized anxiety) so it’s really hard for me to have peace of mind. What helped me the most was my therapist, and guided meditation. There are free apps for that purpose on the web.

I have found the following Deep Hypnosis 45 minutes to be really outstanding and it really helps me get VERY relaxed, breathing deeply, and feel alot better after for a while. I seem to have a very hard time turning off the brain chatter due to the inflammation, that wired/but yet so exhausted feeling. Thjs tape really helps me. Naps don't happen.

Wishful

@Jemima37 , another thread reminded me that I have two baseline levels, one worse than the other. The worse one kicks in every 21 days unless I reset something in my body by taking some T2 (3-5 diiodothyronine) or iodine (which boosts T2 production). I don't know why it works, though I believe it might involve RNA transcription. Only one other person has reported having a reduction of symptoms from iodine, so it's a long shot, but a bottle of supplemental iodine isn't expensive for a test. I use a small drop of tincture of iodine instead, in case like me you have some on hand for owies. I first noticed the effect from a multivitamin+mineral tablet, though if you take one daily you might not notice the effect. It seems that the abrupt increase is important, rather than the average level in your blood. Daily supplements of iodine might even keep it from working.

I think it has only a very small chance to work for you, since no one else has reported it working this way, but if you're desperate to try anything that might help, it's at least a cheap/easy/safe one to try. If it doesn't work, at least supplemental iodine isn't a complete waste, since many people are somewhat deficient, or tincture of iodine is useful for owies.

Sarahloudobby

J please don’t feel guilty about all this. We can’t control what has happened to us. Your family and husband obviously love you very much. That dark cloud will move on x

Jemima37

Hello all

Sorry I've not got back to you sooner, I've had an awful week of panic attacks and been so upset and more exhausted.

My hubby has to go for an interview 2.5 hours away tomorrow and I think that's the cause of all my panic again as they had got much better. So I've been very distressed and it's worsened my cfs. It's so silly, he's in work 40 minutes away daily yet I'm in a state he's going further tomorrow. My children also re start school tomorrow after 6 weeks off. So hard. I've been getting myself all overwhelmed and upset.

Thank you for all your support. Apologies for my long delay replying.

J

Sarahloudobby

Thinking of you J. Deep breaths. There is a lot of people on here for you.
Ours go back tomorrow too. I feel so sad about it xx