• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dr David Tuller: Professor Chris Ponting on the NIH’s Findings and the Latest on the Genome-Wide Association Study Update

Countrygirl

https://virology.ws/.../trial-by-error-professor.../...

Trial By Error: Professor Chris Ponting on the NIH’s Findings and the Latest on the Genome-Wide Association Study Update

Leave a Comment / By David Tuller / 17 March 2024
By David Tuller, DrPH

When the US National Institutes of Health released its lengthy ME/CFS study last month with much fanfare and publicity, the London-based Science Media Centre asked Professor Chris Ponting, among other experts, to provide comment. The study–“Deep phenotyping of post-infectious myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome”–was published by Nature Communications. It included in-depth findings from 17 ME/CFS patients and 21 healthy controls and caused much anger and distress among members of the patient community, particular over its focus on a bizarre construct called “effort preference” as a core factor.

Professor Ponting, a geneticist at the University of Edinburgh, is leading a genome-wide association study (GWAS), DecodeME, that has gathered thousands of DNA samples from ME/CFS patients in the UK. His comments about the study indicated he wasn’t especially impressed. I spoke with him the other day to see if he had further impressions. Because of Zoom glitches, I’m posting an edited transcript of our conversation.O2h8sfnDZBU