• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Do you find your emotions move slowly?

xena

Hi all
Do you find that your emotions move more slowly and that they tend to hang around for a long time? That processing them takes much longer than what you generally hear from people?

I have long felt this.

I noticed that this shifts for me on a raw food diet... like the decreased inflammation or improved lymphatic function allows my emotions to move much more as well.

of course some of this maybe down to repression and skills as well, certainly in my case.

This was inspired by Whitney Dafoe's Facebook post today

Hi Xena,

I have definitely noticed that it takes longer to recover from serious disappointment, grief, heartbreak or rejection than it used to when I was healthy (as far as I can remember, anyway).

For me, I attribute it to not being able to move my body or exert myself. My previous coping mechanism for sadness/grief was to maintain a very active lifestyle with lots of sports and throw myself into academic pursuits because I loved to find potential solutions to theoretical complex problems. I found them both very soothing, and both activities allowed me to process emotions in the background as something that were part of my experience rather than being part of me.

Now, I am mostly bedbound and yes, emotions linger. I experience them more as though they are me, not just part of my experience. It's pretty horrible, actually. To help with this I've started my medical qi gong practice again and yoga nidra.

I sort of tried the raw food diet for a while but it made me worse. Interesting that you feel everything is being processed faster. I really hope it continues helping you!

xena

Hi Xena,

I have definitely noticed that it takes longer to recover from serious disappointment, grief, heartbreak or rejection than it used to when I was healthy (as far as I can remember, anyway).

For me, I attribute it to not being able to move my body or exert myself. My previous coping mechanism for sadness/grief was to maintain a very active lifestyle with lots of sports and throw myself into academic pursuits because I loved to find potential solutions to theoretical complex problems. I found them both very soothing, and both activities allowed me to process emotions in the background as something that were part of my experience rather than being part of me.

Now, I am mostly bedbound and yes, emotions linger. I experience them more as though they are me, not just part of my experience. It's pretty horrible, actually. To help with this I've started my medical qi gong practice again and yoga nidra.

I sort of tried the raw food diet for a while but it made me worse. Interesting that you feel everything is being processed faster. I really hope it continues helping you!
Thank you Kelle, great observations