• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Dang those Vitamin D3 levels

SWAlexander

I can't absorb any vitamin D orally because of genetic problems with the receptors.
What is the receptor? I used both UV and oral treatments during 2021.
I respond better to UV light, as it has a direct effect on my psoriasis, while supplements do not.

Freddd

What is the receptor? I used both UV and oral treatments during 2021.
I respond better to UV light, as it has a direct effect on my psoriasis, while supplements do nIt sounds like your oral
Many people can eat something with vitamin D and have it work. It doesn't work for me. Also 23andme test run through an interpreter indicated I had non-working oral vitamin D receptors. I did a trial and sure enough, it doesn't help me. So I bought a UVB light. Wow! I felt within 2 hours the first 5 UVB sessions. The tangles of capillaries and swollen varicose veins all have or are normalizing. My skin is the best of my life. I do 2 to 4 areas on my body about 4 times a week, and now they are 5 minutes each as I worked them to 5 minutes according to directions. Very effective.

The first five 3 minute UVB (when started) sessions I could feel strongly after about 2 hours. It turns out I have never had usable oral vitamin D. You might have a similar situation. I'm 76 now.

SWAlexander

You might have a similar situation.
I know I have.
Before moving to the US, I used to spend at least 10 days, three times a year, on the beach in Italy. It's the combination of vitamin D and sea salt, which also contains iodine, that makes the difference.

Now, I use the original sea salt in the handheld showerhead as a final rinse twice a week, along with UV light therapy.

Keep it up, but be cautious. Space out the treatments to avoid potential side effects such as constipation, headaches, and fatigue over time.
Good luck.

Freddd

If lack of vitamin D was changed to sufficiency, then the next insufficient vitamin, like methylfolate perhaps, could or would cause those symptoms.

datadragon

The purpose of the present study is to explore the assessment if the transdermal delivery of vitamin D is feasible. This randomized control study shows that vitamin D3 can safely be delivered through the dermal route. This route could be exploited in treating vitamin D deficiency. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3976443/

Since you cannot absorb vitamin D into your system without an accompanying intake of fat, any disorder that disrupts your ability to absorb fat can also disrupt your ability to absorb vitamin D, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH) Office of Dietary Supplements. Pancreatic enzymes which can be supplemented can be tried and are needed such as for the fat. Lipase works with bile from the liver to break down fat molecules so they can be absorbed and used by the body. Deficiency can cause diarrhea and/or fatty stools. Zinc increases lipase I see which digests fat. ZnO supplementation dose dependently increased the plasma Zn concentration and significantly increased amylase, lipase, trypsin and total protease activity in pancreatic homogenates and small intestinal contents. The statistical analysis showed significant protein and ZnO interaction on the activity of amylase in the pancreas, and amylase, trypsin and total-protease in the small intestinal content. Therefore ZnO at high dietary concentration may influence the digestion of nutrients via increased hydrolase activity https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/15068813/ There are conversions also which depend in part on magnesium https://forums.phoenixrising.me/threads/reoccurring-chickenpox-and-shingles.79418/post-2446511 but it sounds like you just cant absorb it orally so far.

Freddd

I have some blood tests quarterly for years which show the vitamin D level. It goes much lower each fall and winter. Now it doesn't. It stays consistently higher. Thankyou. I do take magnesium and many others minerals. A couple of years ago I went way low in Boron and caused tooth decay "wildfire" as my dentist called it.. I had to have all the top teeth out.

datadragon

I have some blood tests quarterly for years which show the vitamin D level. It goes much lower each fall and winter. Now it doesn't. It stays consistently higher. Thankyou. I do take magnesium and many others minerals. A couple of years ago I went way low in Boron and caused tooth decay "wildfire" as my dentist called it.. I had to have all the top teeth out.
Yes the boron mentioned on the first page of this thread enhances the body's ability to use calcium, magnesium, as well as vitamin D.

One other nutrient that has a great impact on teeth is zinc. Here is info on zinc and oral health. In the oral cavity, zinc is found in saliva, dental plaque and in the hydroxyapatite of the dental enamel. It contributes to healthy teeth formation. Clinical trials have demonstrated that zinc ions decrease the rate of enamel demineralization https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC7230687/ Even with taking zinc there may be other things such as reducing pro inflammatory cytokines at the same time which would otherwise bring zinc into the cell and not just reduce its uptake/absorption so becomes a big problem during chronic inflammation and infection. Checking inflammation markers like c-reactive protein may point then to this being involved.

Another nutrient for teeth was magnesium which also is involved with vitamin D. a number of studies have now established that it is magnesium, not calcium, that forms the kind of hard enamel that resists decay. And no matter how much calcium you take, without magnesium only soft enamel can be formed. If too soft the enamel will lack sufficient resistance to the acids of decay.

For years it was believed that high intakes of calcium and phosphorus inhibited decay by strengthening the enamel. Recent evidence, however, indicates that an increase in these two elements is useless unless we increase our magnesium intake at the same time, It has even been observed that dental structures beneath the surface can dissolve when additional amounts of calcium and phosphorus diffuse through the enamel at different rates. Thus milk, poor in magnesium these days for the most part, but high in the other two elements, not only interferes with magnesium metabolism, but also antagonizes the mineral responsible for decay prevention. https://www.mgwater.com/rod10.shtml

Last edited:

SWAlexander

cytokines
Excerpt:
These cells are called NKG2D+CD8+ T cells and researchers say their aggressive response is responsible for neurological damage suffered from infections beyond just Zika, like COVID-19 and even septic shock.

The aggressive response is the result of the body producing large amounts of inflammatory proteins called cytokines, which in moderation help to coordinate the body’s response in battling an infection or injury by telling immune cells where to go and what to do when they arrive.

“If our body’s immune cells overreact and over produce inflammatory cytokines, this condition will lead to non-specific activation of our immune cells which in turn leads to collateral damage. This can have severe consequences if it happens in the brain,”

Immune response, not acute viral infections, responsible for neurological damage, McMaster researchers discover
https://healthsci.mcmaster.ca/immun...logical-damage-mcmaster-researchers-discover/