• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Daily episodes of blurry vision and pain around eyes

Murph

:)
I had a similar thing where my eyes were periodically blurry. I can give what I think is good news - it's possibel for it to be muscular rather than structural or neurological. When I went to the optometrists they said my eyes were in great heath but the little muscles that are supposed to work to focus them were tired. for me it was in the morning when I first got up.

So I agree with Mary that it could be muscle weakness. Rest and various salts are probably what's needed.

Phosphorous deficiency (hypophosphatemia) can cause double vision. It's happened to me and the double vision went away when I took phosphorous. I started needing extra phosphorous when I started taking B1 due to refeeding syndrome (see https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/diseases/23228-refeeding-syndrome )

Low phosphorous causes muscle weakness among many other things, and the first muscles to go weak are the small ones such as in the eyes and the throat. It can cause difficulty swallowing. I take a phosphorous supplement several times a week but sometimes I overlook it and one of my first symptoms is my pills start getting stuck in my throat.

And this 1998 study is pretty interesting I think: Phosphate diabetes in patients with chronic fatigue syndrome - roughly 10% of 87 ME/CFS patients were found to have phosphate diabetes:

When it comes to dietary sources of phosphate, cola is a widely available and highly standardised option!
https://www.jrnjournal.org/article/S1051-2276(13)00181-7/fulltext

Mary

Moderator Resource
When it comes to dietary sources of phosphate, cola is a widely available and highly standardised option!
https://www.jrnjournal.org/article/S1051-2276(13)00181-7/fulltext

Right, but cola and all its sugar is really not a good option! Actually I think because of sodas, hyperphosphatemia is more common than hypophosphatemia, but I never drink sodas. I like them but won't go near them. I think they're a huge factor in our burgeoning diabetes numbers. It's crazy - there are so many health conditions people bring upon themselves, if they only knew . . . it's hard to imagine that anyone in this day and age isn't aware of the dangers of lots of sugar and empty carbs but there seem to be a lot of them. Then I read stories about someone who stopped sugar and lo and behold, huge health improvement! If only it were that easy for us . . .

hapl808

Are there other ones? I did notice that Mexican Coke improves my symptoms, but I usually only have an ounce or two at a time because of the sugar - and now I've also cut out most caffeine, so that doubly off the table. Never sure if it helps from the sugar, caffeine, or phosphate, or whatever.

Murph

:)
Are there other ones? I did notice that Mexican Coke improves my symptoms, but I usually only have an ounce or two at a time because of the sugar - and now I've also cut out most caffeine, so that doubly off the table. Never sure if it helps from the sugar, caffeine, or phosphate, or whatever.
lots of foods are high in phosphate; googling will turn up a list.

As for coke, I've noticed coke zero improves my symptoms sometimes. If I'm out and about and feel fatigue coming on, stopping and having 600mL of coke zero can really turn things around. It could be the liquid, the phosphate, the aspartame (metabolised to phenylalanine), or the caffeine.
I've wondered about buying sugar coke, a diet cola with a different sweetener, and caffeine free coke zero and running a blinded experiment on myself to see if I can figure out what the magic ingredient might be!