• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Completely new type of "biological entity" discovered in our bodies

Wishful

https://newatlas.com/biology/obelisks-new-biological-entity-microbiome/

"The Stanford team calls them Obelisks, thanks to their rod-like structure, and they’re kind of a cross between viruses and viroids. We’re all familiar with the former, while viroids are simpler molecules of RNA that can replicate by chopping up and reforming their genome, but don’t produce proteins and lack a protective shell. Obelisks have the basic structure of viroids, but like viruses their simple genomes do seem to code for previously unknown proteins the scientists call “obulins.”

It turns out that Obelisks are very common and surprisingly diverse. The scientists discovered almost 30,000 different types of them within microbiome samples taken from over 400 people from all around the world. They were found in about 50% of tested oral microbiome samples and 7% of gut samples. It seems they’ve eluded detection so far because they don’t look like anything else we know about."

Since no one knew about these until now, we don't know that they aren't involved in ME. I doubt that they are, but it's just another case of our bodies having active components that researchers aren't aware of.

FWIW, today's NewAtlas also had two stories about new discoveries about how the brain works, one on how smells trigger responses, and one on how lipids are involved in memories. One day there might be a similar discovery that leads to an understanding of ME's mechanism.

linusbert

Wow! very interesting! can't believe i witness the discovery of a new unknown entity in our body.
It seems they’ve eluded detection so far because they don’t look like anything else we know about."
that makes we wonder what else they didnt detect yet , which doesnt look like anything else we know?

that’s so cool, thank you for sharing @Wishful

that shows how little we know about the microbiome and the human body in general. doctors act like it’s impossible for you to have an organic disease that doesn’t show up on any available tests, meanwhile, scientists discover a new type of organism living in our bodies that we know absolutely nothing about

Wishful

I wonder what microbiologists actually see when they look at samples. I'm guessing it's not a clean view, with a couple of microbes appearing in the same plane of view. More likely there's a whole bunch of "junk" and they have to pan around and move the focal point in and out to finally find an example of whatever they are looking for. It might be like looking for a certain species of frog in a jungle: all sorts of crap in your way, while rain drips on you and bugs buzz in your ear, while your brain is actively trying to not see everything other than a certain shade of small purple spots surrounded by orange.

I would not be surprised if they find that these obelisks are necessary for something in the body, good or bad. Maybe we've got an extensive microbiome of obelisks, and having or not having a certain type affects how effectively a virus can infect our cells, or how difficult it is for immune cells to clean the infection out. Maybe they affect type I allergies, or various other diseases, or even ME.

@Wishful idk if these things are
visible under a microscope ( i suppose not? if they managed to elude microbiologists for so long). but they could have been detected via genetic sequencing or something