• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Cleanliness in between showering

taniaaust1

@taniaaust1
I was just reading about how bad alcohol is for your skin. Perhaps you can find a gentle spray that doesn't need rinsing. I've got some, but I don't know whether it's sold Down Under.

I need something which works better then normal soap thou which can like neutralise odour. (I use the alcohol as soap doesnt work always under my arms).. often even with "scrubbing" soap using a skin brush and flannel and using water.. doesnt always get rid of B0 under arms. (for many people it does but for some of us it dont.

I think this is an inherited thing as my father used to have to wash and shower 3 times a day and he still reeked to the point that others complain about his odour. (Ive seriously wondered if he has the gene mutation for Trimethylaminuria. .. stinky fish syndrome.. its not normal. I wouldnt be surprised if I have a mutated gene for that too) .

One is not left feeling clean if one still smells even if after scrubbing underarms with soap. I dont know whether Horizon has the same issue going on as I get at times, seeing he/she says baby wipes arent enough.

but yeah Ive heard that alcohol is apparently bad for skin (though I only use it right under arms and no where else).. probably absorb a bit too. Though those swabs are dry within even 10 seconds so I guess any absorption as it evaporates so fast wouldnt be much at all.

Last edited:

purrsian

I'd hate to know what my teeth are doing as they hardly ever get brushed (I find it difficult standing at a basin so they often just get left. I brush them shopping day (so unfortunately this is yellowing my teeth, maybe I should start daily swishing with hydrogen peroxide and count that as doing them)
Do you have a toilet or stool in your bathroom? I brush my teeth in our ensuite, so I just put the lid of the toilet down and sit on there while brushing my teeth. Lid is usually down anyway, as my cat uses it to jump on to the window sill. I worry one day he'll land in the toilet if I don't keep the lid down, he's not the most observant little thing lol

I've also seen Lush has things called toothy tabs (https://au.lush.com/products/teeth) to use instead of toothpaste. You chew on the tab and then brush after it's broken up. If you can't brush at the end, perhaps just chewing them up would be better than nothing? You could even do it in bed with a rinse bowl and some water handy, then brushing might be easier too.

purrsian

On a side note, I sometimes have worse BO than other times and my mum suggested it may be to do with hormonal changes (not necessarily period related). It tends to happen at times when my body is going a bit wonky, so perhaps some of us have difficulty due to our internal problems changes chemical balances, bacteria levels, etc. Undoubtedly also related to genes too as Tania pointed out.

For those who don't like anti-perspirants as it's unhealthy to block sweating, I'm pretty sure that the QV 'naked' aluminium free deodorant doesn't block pores and it's not actually an antiperspirant, but it does prevent odour causing bacteria with "biosorb crystals". The roll on didn't prevent BO all the time but the spray works great for me and I live in QLD (very hot and humid summers). I can put it on after shower at night, skip a shower the next day and not develop BO until the following day. I find it's helpful during those times when everyday showers are hard, so I might feel gross but at least I'm not as stinky :p

taniaaust1

Do you have a toilet or stool in your bathroom? I brush my teeth in our ensuite, so I just put the lid of the toilet down and sit on there while brushing my teeth..

There is no toilet in my bathroom and no basin in my toilet room. I also need to sit with my legs up and not down (so to do that that means I would be having to move my shower chair and stool from the shower over to basin).. with the added issue of the only cupboard in my bathroom to keep my toothbrush and toothpast is high up (which also reaching over my head can set off my POTS).

So with all this my teeth just rarely end up getting done. Its too much of a triggering activity. with the reach up and the standing.

I've also seen Lush has things called toothy tabs (https://au.lush.com/products/teeth) to use instead of toothpaste. You chew on the tab and then brush after it's broken up. If you can't brush at the end, perhaps just chewing them up would be better than nothing? You could even do it in bed with a rinse bowl and some water handy, then brushing might be easier too

interesting concept though I wonder just how well swishing a tablet form of something around in mouth would be without brushing esp as the tablets are supposed to be used with brushing. As I drop things and knock things over all the time.. it wouldnt wise for me to be carrying rise bowls of water anywhere.

I dont even have a cupboard or shelf by my bed right now to put things on (I have a tiny over the bed tray thing which slides under my mattress but everything keeps getting knocked off from there so currently I have a pile of horrible mess of rubbish and all kinds other things from my tray over the floor by bed. Actualy its sitting at quite a slant right now looking like I may of broken it).

thinking further.. when I get around to putting some kind of shelf there, I want to put a floating shelf on the wall by my bed (its been on my to do list now for almost 2 years), I could keep a spit out bottle there too along with my toothpaste (and brush of cause)

thanks. I didnt know there was herbal like toothpaste tablets

You can actually make natural tooth powder using bicarb soda and ground salt and add some peppermint (I did natural toothpaste making when at college).. but then once again you still need to brush.

hellytheelephant

This thread proves that necessity really is the mother of invention!

I do sympathise with the difficulties of tooth brushing...but, for me it has to be a priority as injections and fillings are best avoided for a number or reasons....not least the cost!

trishrhymes

I guess you could use an electric toothbrush while lying in bed. Then rinse with a little water. Probably better than nothing.
I think the main purpose is to clean off the buildup of food and bacteria stuck to the surface of the teeth, which brushing does, even without toothpaste.
Re deodorising, it might be worth looking into the stainless steel I mentioned in my first post.

purrsian

It's a pain when one's house layout adds to difficulties, and bathrooms are often so small that it can be hard to fit extra stools or cupboards and things in. I agree that the toothy tabs might not be as useful without brushing, but thought I'd still mention them in case they were useful for someone. And that's a great point @trishrhymes , even without toothpaste, brushing on its own would still be better than nothing. Maybe a brush in the bathroom for good days and a brush by the bed for bad days!

Molly98

I feel very lucky in this regard now.

After years of struggling and going long periods between showers because I just couldn't manage it and attempting to wash my hair and dry myself really wiping me out, I discovered a lovely relaxing hydrotherapy pool literally around the corner from us which is set up especially for people with disabilities and is like a spa.

My husband takes me and often we are the only two in the pool. We park right outside the door, use my wheelchair to go through to changing rooms. There are plastic wheelchairs there to wheel me from changing room to the edge of the pool and then back to changing rooms afterwards. Often we are the only two in the pool or just one or two others ( we always ring up to book a quiet time.). it is lovely to just float, I find it very soothing and relieves my pain a lot.

There are a number of large private wetrooms/changing rooms kitted out for disabled use and my husband is able to wheel me straight to the shower in the chair, shower me while sitting in the chair and wash my hair for me and help me wash and dress and wheel me back out to the car afterwards, 2 mins drive home, then he dries my hair over the arm of the sofa while I lie down.

It feels like real luxury after struggling at home, where our bathroom is so tiny my husband and I can not fit in together and certainly no room for a chair or him to help me.

I do this once a week and look forward to it now instead of dreading it. It is so nice to feel washed and clean without it killing me in the process.

I realise how lucky I am having this so close by.

In between, I use a natural make of baby wipes daily.
I also use dry shampoo from Aveda. I can usually manage waiting a week ( I look a mess but my hair last a week before getting greasy) but if I have to go longer I use the dry shampoo.

eafw

Showering is one of the hardest things on me and right now

I didn't find that a shower chair was helpful because I was heat-sensitive.

For most people who find showers particularly difficult (ie it's not just a part of general incapacity) it is because of heat + being upright + raising arms above head + physicality of undress/drying/redress.

Solutions: sit on floor of bath or shower cubicle, use body temp/lukewarm water, quick rinse-soap-rinse-done, sit on the bathroom floor to put on robe/wrap hair/get dry. Lie down on bed with robe and towels. Get dressed later.
Choose a time of day when you have most energy and least OI symptoms. Keep fluid and salt up before and after (isotonic drinks, juice, crisps, soup, whatever). Overall, make sure standing and raising arms is minimised. Pace, rest, sit down, lie down.

Valentijn

I often use the top of my sturdy cotton shirt sleeve to "brush" my teeth before I go to bed. It gets all the gunk off, and my dentist seems pretty pleased with the results :D

Paralee

If you just want to spot bathe, and I've done this many times, I use a wet cloth and milk of magnesia (plain liquid kind) for under my arms. Some women wash regularly and use MoM as a deoderant.
Drug stores usually sell a liquid for bathing that doesn't require rinsing. I use it at times but seems like I can't stop without a rinse. this is for the below parts but it can be used all over the body really.
For those certain below parts I will put a little vinegar on a wet washcloth and that makes me feel a whole lot cleaner.
Nothing beats a shower but this sure helps stand myself.

lauluce

as long as you manage to stay alive, there's hope
Showering is one of the hardest things on me and right now I am about once a week (which feels gross and the smell aint great!)

I have tried baby wipes to keep clean in the interim but it's really not doing the trick I feel super sweaty and stinky (sorry for the TMI).

Any tips or good products that help get rid of stink? I would prefer without chemicals but that may not be an option.
I also shower between 4 and 7 days :( it's so sad

IreneF

I feel very lucky in this regard now.

After years of struggling and going long periods between showers because I just couldn't manage it and attempting to wash my hair and dry myself really wiping me out, I discovered a lovely relaxing hydrotherapy pool literally around the corner from us which is set up especially for people with disabilities and is like a spa.

My husband takes me and often we are the only two in the pool. We park right outside the door, use my wheelchair to go through to changing rooms. There are plastic wheelchairs there to wheel me from changing room to the edge of the pool and then back to changing rooms afterwards. Often we are the only two in the pool or just one or two others ( we always ring up to book a quiet time.). it is lovely to just float, I find it very soothing and relieves my pain a lot.

There are a number of large private wetrooms/changing rooms kitted out for disabled use and my husband is able to wheel me straight to the shower in the chair, shower me while sitting in the chair and wash my hair for me and help me wash and dress and wheel me back out to the car afterwards, 2 mins drive home, then he dries my hair over the arm of the sofa while I lie down.

It feels like real luxury after struggling at home, where our bathroom is so tiny my husband and I can not fit in together and certainly no room for a chair or him to help me.

I do this once a week and look forward to it now instead of dreading it. It is so nice to feel washed and clean without it killing me in the process.

I realise how lucky I am having this so close by.

In between, I use a natural make of baby wipes daily.
I also use dry shampoo from Aveda. I can usually manage waiting a week ( I look a mess but my hair last a week before getting greasy) but if I have to go longer I use the dry shampoo.
You are incredibly lucky to have such a caring husband.

Horizon

For most people who find showers particularly difficult (ie it's not just a part of general incapacity) it is because of heat + being upright + raising arms above head + physicality of undress/drying/redress.

Solutions: sit on floor of bath or shower cubicle, use body temp/lukewarm water, quick rinse-soap-rinse-done, sit on the bathroom floor to put on robe/wrap hair/get dry. Lie down on bed with robe and towels. Get dressed later.
Choose a time of day when you have most energy and least OI symptoms. Keep fluid and salt up before and after (isotonic drinks, juice, crisps, soup, whatever). Overall, make sure standing and raising arms is minimised. Pace, rest, sit down, lie down.

I think raising the arms to shampoo and put in conditioner and scrub it in my head is the worst part for me. I don't know what is is about arm raising and bending but they feel awful.

I'd hate to know what my teeth are doing as they hardly ever get brushed (I find it difficult standing at a basin so they often just get left. I brush them shopping day (so unfortunately this is yellowing my teeth, maybe I should start daily swishing with hydrogen peroxide and count that as doing them)
Disposable chewable toothbrushes with xylitol on instead of toothpaste can be a useful addition and no need to be by the sink.

IreneF

On a side note, I sometimes have worse BO than other times and my mum suggested it may be to do with hormonal changes (not necessarily period related). It tends to happen at times when my body is going a bit wonky, so perhaps some of us have difficulty due to our internal problems changes chemical balances, bacteria levels, etc. Undoubtedly also related to genes too as Tania pointed out.

For those who don't like anti-perspirants as it's unhealthy to block sweating, I'm pretty sure that the QV 'naked' aluminium free deodorant doesn't block pores and it's not actually an antiperspirant, but it does prevent odour causing bacteria with "biosorb crystals". The roll on didn't prevent BO all the time but the spray works great for me and I live in QLD (very hot and humid summers). I can put it on after shower at night, skip a shower the next day and not develop BO until the following day. I find it's helpful during those times when everyday showers are hard, so I might feel gross but at least I'm not as stinky :p
Antiperspirants block only the stinky sweat under your arms. The entire rest of your body is free to sweat.