• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Catalytic Antibodies May Contribute to Demyelination in Myalgic Encephalomyelitis/Chronic Fatigue Syndrome

SWAlexander

Abstract:
Here we report preliminary data demonstrating that some patients with myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS) may have catalytic autoantibodies that cause the breakdown of myelin basic protein (MBP). We propose that these MBP-degradative antibodies are important to the pathophysiology of ME/CFS, particularly in the occurrence of white matter disease/demyelination. This is supported by magnetic resonance imagining studies that show these findings in patients with ME/CFS and could explain symptoms of nerve pain and muscle weakness. In this work, we performed a series of experiments on patient plasma samples where we isolated and characterized substrate-specific antibodies that digest MBP. We also tested glatiramer acetate (copaxone), an FDA approved immunomodulator to treat multiple sclerosis, and found that it inhibits ME/CFS antibody digestion of MBP. Furthermore, we found that aprotinin, which is a specific serine protease inhibitor, specifically prevents breakdown of MBP while the other classes of protease inhibitors had no effect. This coincides with the published literature describing catalytic antibodies as having serine protease-like activity. Postpandemic research has also provided several reports of demyelination in COVID-19. Because COVID-19 has been described as a trigger for ME/CFS, demyelination could play a bigger role in patient symptoms for those recently diagnosed with ME/CFS. Therefore, by studying proteolytic antibodies in ME/CFS, their target substrates, and inhibitors, a new mechanism of action could lead to better treatment and a possible cure for the disease.
https://pubs.acs.org/doi/10.1021/acs.biochem.3c00433

Wishful

I note that it's "some patients with ME may have this" so it's a bit early to claim that this could lead to a cure for ME. More likely it might reduce some symptoms for some PWME.

Does anyone know how quickly demyelination would reverse? My temporary remissions could switch state over a span of some minutes, so that would be a fail for this theory.

hapl808

I note that it's "some patients with ME may have this" so it's a bit early to claim that this could lead to a cure for ME. More likely it might reduce some symptoms for some PWME.

Does anyone know how quickly demyelination would reverse? My temporary remissions could switch state over a span of some minutes, so that would be a fail for this theory.

How would understanding the mechanism lead to a 'cure' for any symptoms in this case? I don't think copaxone cures anything, just tries to minimize relapses for RRMS?

A lot of my symptoms are very MS-like so I'm interested, but the problem is even with an MS diagnosis, is treatment likely to give me back functionality or just slow progression?

Forummember9922

“We found that aprotinin, which is a specific serine protease inhibitor, specifically prevents breakdown of MBP while the other classes of protease inhibitors had no effect.”

fwiw:

Under the trade name Trasylol, aprotinin was used as a medication administered by injection to reduce bleeding during complex surgery, such as heart and liver surgery. Its main effect is the slowing down of fibrinolysis, the process that leads to the breakdown of blood clots. The aim in its use was to decrease the need for blood transfusions during surgery, as well as end-organ damage due to hypotension (low blood pressure) as a result of marked blood loss. The drug was temporarily withdrawn worldwide in 2007 after studies suggested that its use increased the risk of complications or death;[1] this was confirmed by follow-up studies
I note that it's "some patients with ME may have this
also fwiw 👇🏻🍻

Within the ME/CFS samples tested for this particular set, 47% showed to digest MBP (e.g., Figure 1, 'ME/CFS' samples 11–19), while in the healthy control group, 5% of the samples also showed digestion of MBP

Oliver3

How would understanding the mechanism lead to a 'cure' for any symptoms in this case? I don't think copaxone cures anything, just tries to minimize relapses for RRMS?

A lot of my symptoms are very MS-like so I'm interested, but the problem is even with an MS diagnosis, is treatment likely to give me back functionality or just slow progression?
What do you consider to be m.s. symptoms out of Interest? Is it the muscle spasms in particular and weaknesses?

Methyl90

What do you consider to be m.s. symptoms out of Interest? Is it the muscle spasms in particular and weaknesses?
Hi, sorry to intrude but I think the overall picture of MS-related symptoms is much broader and more invasive. Weakness and muscle spasms can also just be symptoms of low levels of minerals such as sodium, potassium, magnesium, calcium... the first ones that come to mind and just as many vitamins. Personally I have several centimeter areas of demyelinated white matter and anything that helps slow neuroinflammation and excessive apoptosis seems to give good results at least acutely. I think promoting autophagy is also key when there is something Degenerative going on that starts from the brain and spreads systemically downstream to other organs/tissues.

SWAlexander

Hi, sorry to intrude
You are not intruding. Thank you for your input.
demyelinated white matter and anything that helps slow neuroinflammation and excessive apoptosis seems to give good results at least acutely
My wish is to find some slowdown for demyelinating. In my case, white matter damage (diagnosed in 2008) is in the posterior and visual cortex (left eye not recognizing colors occasionally). In addition, the impact, even though rarely, is short-term memory problems, when distinct burning headache pain is in this location. It also affects periodically my motor senses due to Chiari malformation.
So far no inner organs are affected except skin tissue but frequently low on potassium, and magnesium.

1701445240364.jpeg

You are not intruding. Thank you for your input.

My wish is to find some slowdown for demyelinating. In my case, white matter damage (diagnosed in 2008) is in the posterior and visual cortex (left eye not recognizing colors occasionally). In addition, the impact, even though rarely, is short-term memory problems, when distinct burning headache pain is in this location. It also affects periodically my motor senses due to Chiari malformation.
So far no inner organs are affected except skin tissue but frequently low on potassium, and magnesium.

View attachment 52952
I'm going to try Clemastine in the hopes it can repair any myelin degeneration. I've never had a scan but I have awful neuropathy and I can feel it in my spine before my limbs get weaker and muscle pain kicks in. https://www.ucsf.edu/news/2023/06/425566/can-medication-reverse-ms-brain-biomarker-shows-it-can

SWAlexander

I'm going to try Clemastine
I think you will have some positive effects. I have been on cetirizine, (a European equivalent to Clemastine) for one year. I paused for one month and all inflammation symptoms exploded. In my case, I know for sure I have one cytokine storm after another. I hope Clemastine delivers good results for you.
Thanks for the link.

Last edited:

hapl808

Severe muscle weakness, inability to build any strength through physical therapy. Pushing through muscle weakness is possible, but usually leads to permanent degeneration. That's how I lost the ability to walk without crutches years ago - doctors kept encouraging me to push through, but each time the muscle pain and weakness got worse until I was limping a bit, then constantly, then crutches some of the time, now crutches for many years and completely unable to walk without them.

And so forth.

hapl808

I'm going to try Clemastine in the hopes it can repair any myelin degeneration. I've never had a scan but I have awful neuropathy and I can feel it in my spine before my limbs get weaker and muscle pain kicks in.

I've been experimenting a bit with clemastine for that reason, but can't say I've noticed anything particular so far.

Oliver3

Severe muscle weakness, inability to build any strength through physical therapy. Pushing through muscle weakness is possible, but usually leads to permanent degeneration. That's how I lost the ability to walk without crutches years ago - doctors kept encouraging me to push through, but each time the muscle pain and weakness got worse until I was limping a bit, then constantly, then crutches some of the time, now crutches for many years and completely unable to walk without them.

And so forth.
Wow, that sounds very familiar. Although I haven't quite got to that stage although I worry it looks. I bruise all over my thorax because I think my muscles are compensating so much to stay upright

SWAlexander

I bruise all over my thorax because I think my muscles are compensating so much to stay upright
I bruise all over
So am I.
Bruising is related to von Willebrand Factor (vWF) and can be triggered by MCAS and/or a cytokine Storm.

What is Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS)
https://swaresearch.blogspot.com/2023/10/what-is-mast-cell-activation-syndrome.html

related issues:

Could a Cytokine Storm cause Endothelial Dysfunction the formation of microclots/thrombosis?
https://swaresearch.blogspot.com/2023/08/what-is-cytokine-storm.html

Oliver3

Hey thanks for this.
Yes, I'm currently looking for a good mast cell doctor. Thank you for these interesting links.
But I have to say, my muscles in my thorax also seem to " give up".
It seems to be a mixture of muscle failure and MCAS. Which is really fun

Oliver3

I bruise all over
So am I.
Bruising is related to von Willebrand Factor (vWF) and can be triggered by MCAS and/or a cytokine Storm.

What is Mast Cell Activation Syndrome (MCAS)
https://swaresearch.blogspot.com/2023/10/what-is-mast-cell-activation-syndrome.html

related issues:

Could a Cytokine Storm cause Endothelial Dysfunction the formation of microclots/thrombosis?
https://swaresearch.blogspot.com/2023/08/what-is-cytokine-storm.html
It's interesting that benzos help with my orthostatic intolerance. Mast cell stabilizer and acts as a vaso relaxer.

SWAlexander