• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Brivudine (Zostex, Mevir, Brivir)

Treeman

HI, I'm in the UK and brivudine is not available. I know it's available across Europe. If you're in Europe, is this available across the counter or prescription only?

Thanks.

JES

The only orally taken antiviral that is available here in Finland over the counter is acyclovir/valacyclovir since a couple of years ago.

Wikipedia says: Brivudine is approved for use in a number of European countries including Austria, Belgium, Germany, Greece, Italy, Portugal, Spain and Switzerland.

I think it's not available at all over here even for prescription and I think doctors don't prescribe this antiviral much anymore.

Dude

Hi, I think it's prescription only in Europe.

I've been looking at online pharmacies but no luck. Anyone ever bought this? Thanks
I read one case where a person had a temporary remission while taking this drug. So i also tried to source it, but no luck there.

Treeman

I read one case where a person had a temporary remission while taking this drug. So i also tried to source it, but no luck there.

I have persistent shingles and the NHS believe it's resistant to all the medication they have for it.

I'll keep searching, I think I have found an opportunity to get it, I'll see how it progresses.

p.s. one of my favourite movies is, The Big Lewbowski, DUDE!