• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Borderline CFS and applying for PIP

Treeman

Also I remember one good piece of advice, if you are telling them you can do something, always remember to say “but"! In other words, don't just say yes even if it's something you can do - also explain the consequences of doing that activity

I agree. You have to be able to do it, " in a reasonable amount of time, repeatedly and safely" . As an example if they ask can you walk 100m but not fulfill the above, then it's a no.

Thanks @Treeman @Emmarose47 and @keepswimming for taking the time and energy to reply :)

We've not applied for any benefits before, hence why we're so uncertain of the process. We do have the benefits and works guide which is very useful, but always good to hear other peoples experiences too.

Thanks for all the suggestions. The 'Yes but' one is one we may have trouble with as when talking to friends/family so often we try to be positive but in this case we need to be very honest about where she is right now.

I'll get in touch with them to ask about the recording - do I need to ask about breaks before the assessment too? It depends on how my wife is feeling as to whether she'll need any, and she might want to just get through it rather than taking a break.

Emmarose47

Hi, I asked for breaks on the call I think. No harm mentioning before hand that your partner 'may' need breaks. Sending all best wishes let us know how it goes

All was easier than we were expecting, though glad its done. Rang up in advance and couldn't get it recorded as it meant changing the appointment date, but they were happy for us to record ourselves and for their to be breaks.

Assessor rang 20 mins late, but had read the form and was very easy to talk to. She mentioned straight off that we could take breaks, and we did twice for 5 mins. Call was 1 hour 25 mins which left my wife worn out as expected, but hopefully we were able to convey the fatigue/brain fog even though it is so hard to explain as you all know! Decision in about 6-8 weeks so now we wait.

Emmarose47

Sounds good 💮 glad it went OK.
Also good to know re recording proceedure thanks for that

Well, we got the decision letter through today and it has been denied (which we kinda expected). According to them my wife scored 0 on every criteria which is a bit surprising and disheartening. We will probably go through the mandatory reconsideration as we've nothing to lose but I can't see at the moment how thats going to change anything. Feeling a bit sad right now.

brenda

I was turned down after plenty of lies from the examiner but went for tribunal. It took 5 years to get to appeal so got a lot of money backdated. The panel were wonderful apart from the doctor so keep going.

Treeman

My wife got 0 points and at the appeal the judge was fantastic. Told the DWP worker off twice and she was award full PIP.

There is another stage yet. Stay focused and strong. Good luck.

Emmarose47

Zeetha, think u may know but the benefitsand work forum is v good. It is ran by an ex gov worker and a lawyer, they really know their stuff and u can ask anything and get support as well as all the printed handouts.
Basically when someone is first assessed they arnt following proper proceedure so for some it takes a mandatory reconsideration or tribunal.
Keep going...