• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Biomarker study MedUni Vienna

Dude

In recent months, Austria has announced that it will invest more in research and care for post-viral diseases. One of these researches has now started. The study is a collaboration between a private foundation and the Medical University of Vienna.

The study by the team led by Eva Untersmayr-Elsenhuber from the Center for Pathophysiology, Infectiology, and Immunology at the Medical University of Vienna builds upon previous research that focused on immune system disorders and intestinal barrier dysfunction in affected individuals. It is well known that ME/CFS patients often exhibit significant variations in the clinical manifestation of their condition. However, despite intensive research efforts, to date, there is no measurable parameter (biomarker) that definitively indicates the disease.

As demonstrated by the research team at the Medical University of Vienna, ME/CFS patients can be subdivided into groups based on the function of their immune systems. Within this classification, the study identified different biomarkers in patients indicating immune system disorders or reduced intestinal barrier function. Thus, clinically relevant differences among ME/CFS patients were identified that would have remained unnoticed without the preceding immunological subdivision of the ME/CFS patient group.

"In our study, we see that immunological evaluation of ME/CFS patients is of crucial importance. Affected individuals suffering from immunodeficiencies are characterized by their altered immune function. In ME/CFS patients with intact immune systems, intestinal barrier function was found to be reduced," explains study leader Eva Untersmayr-Elsenhuber. The peculiarities detectable through measurable markers in the blood allow researchers to draw conclusions about both different disease mechanisms and different treatment options for ME/CFS patients.

In the next step, the study results will be validated on a larger scale. To advance research on Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, the Medical University of Vienna is currently establishing the first "ME/CFS Biobank Austria" with biological samples from affected individuals, supported by the WE&ME Foundation. Untersmayr-Elsenhuber states, "To facilitate rapid and cross-border ME/CFS research in the future, we have coordinated with research groups in the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, and Germany from the outset."

https://www.meduniwien.ac.at/web/ue...-so-viele-betroffene-durch-covid-19-erwartet/

Wishful

Immunological evaluation may not be of critical importance. Another paper posted today was about how Covid neurological symptoms are not due to active viruses in the brain, but rather the brain's response to immune activation elsewhere in the body. ME might be an abnormal response to immune signals, or might be some brain cells getting locked into an abnormal state due to immune signals, and not clearing after the removal of those signals.

ME symptom severity can be affected by elevated cytokines. Viral infections or muscle inflammation can make my ME symptoms more severe, but I still have baseline severity when there are no obvious causes for elevated cytokines. So, this study path might lead to treatments that allow some PWME to avoid worse-than-baseline flare-ups, but I don't believe it will treat ME itself.

SWAlexander

MedUni Vienna scientists identify possible biomarkers for chronic fatigue syndrome​

Up to 80,000 people in Austria are estimated to suffer from chronic fatigue syndrome, also known as ME/CFS or myalgic encephalomyelitis/chronic fatigue syndrome. The number of ME/CFS patients is expected to rise drastically due to long-term effects of the COVID-19 pandemic. However, research in the field has neither identified mechanisms of disease onset nor causal treatment approaches. Scientists at MedUni Vienna have now identified possible biomarkers that could improve the diagnosis and treatment of long-lasting and debilitating fatigue. The study has recently been published in the Journal of Clinical Medicine.
https://www.news-medical.net/news/2...-biomarkers-for-chronic-fatigue-syndrome.aspx

Again the direction goes toward "immune compromised". Many of us have known this for years.

Last edited:

SWAlexander

Google translation:

Biomarkers identified for chronic fatigue syndrome​

Excerpt:
As the MedUni Vienna research team shows, ME/CFS patients can be divided into subgroups based on the function of their immune system. As part of this classification, the study was able to detect different biomarkers in those affected, which indicate disorders in the immune system or reduced intestinal barrier function. Differences relevant to clinical care in ME/CFS patients were identified that would have remained undetected without the previous immunological subdivision of the ME/CFS patient group.

“In our study we see that the immunological evaluation of ME/CFS patients is of crucial importance. Those affected who suffer from immune deficiencies are characterized by their altered immune function. In ME/CFS patients with an intact immune system, the intestinal barrier function was reduced,” explains study leader Eva Untersmayr-Elsenhuber. According to researchers, the special features that can be detected using measurable markers in the blood allow conclusions to be drawn about different disease mechanisms as well as different treatment options for ME/CFS patients.
https://biermann--medizin-de.transl..._sl=de&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

Judee

Psalm 46:1-3
Another paper posted today was about how Covid neurological symptoms are not due to active viruses in the brain,
These researchers are not corroborating their knowledge and their efforts. It's so frustrating because there have been other studies done postmortem that show there are viruses in the brain. (Don't ask me to find them right now please. I just remember reading about them recently, possibly here on PR even.)

Last edited:

Wishful

It's so frustrating because there have been other studies done postmortem that show there are viruses in the brain.
The paper didn't say that there weren't any viruses in the brain. It was that the Covid symptoms weren't due to active viruses in the brain. I assume that still needs replication, and doesn't rule out symptoms due to dormant viruses or viral fragments or other such possibilities. I like that the findings encourage studies into the brain's "symptoms due to immune signals" rather than assuming that symptoms are directly due to viruses. My early ME symptoms were due to triggering of my t-cells by foods, not by a virus.

L'engle

moogle
Though I do think researchers are making great efforts. They just rarely get the funding to continue with the larger studies that are needed.

Blazer95

..and we built castles in the Sky.
I have my own biomarkers and to be fair I kinda overread these new studies because
IF YOU WANT TO HAVE SOMETHING DONE YOU HAVE TO DO IT YOURSELF
quote - somebody.