• Welcome to Phoenix Rising!

Created in 2008, Phoenix Rising is the largest and oldest forum dedicated to furthering the understanding of, and finding treatments for, complex chronic illnesses such as chronic fatigue syndrome (ME/CFS), fibromyalgia, long COVID, postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome (POTS), mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS), and allied diseases.

To become a member, simply click the Register button at the top right.

Balooning Waist size Help

Gondwanaland

Hi, peoples :)

I am struggling with this problem too for a couple of years now and noticed it seemed to be triggered by replacing amalgams with composite fillings which are a constant source of plastic molecules leaking inside my mouth. Anyone else?

Wishful

it seemed to be triggered by replacing amalgams with composite fillings
A problem with one-time changes is that it's hard to know what the actual trigger was. If you feel better or worse one day, is it due to something that happened that day, or the day before, or maybe something with a 3.178 day delay? Maybe it would have happened just due to age. Our fat distribution does change normally with age, so it doesn't need an external trigger.

Other possible explanations linked to dental work:

the anaesthetic
hormones triggered by pain/injury
the reduction in mercury (maybe it was keeping fat cells from filling)

Gondwanaland

A problem with one-time changes is that it's hard to know what the actual trigger was. If you feel better or worse one day, is it due to something that happened that day, or the day before, or maybe something with a 3.178 day delay? Maybe it would have happened just due to age. Our fat distribution does change normally with age, so it doesn't need an external trigger.

Other possible explanations linked to dental work:

the anaesthetic
hormones triggered by pain/injury
the reduction in mercury (maybe it was keeping fat cells from filling)
I had to stop using mouth wash once the new fillings were in place, I would feel extremely spacey and nauseous. I also became very sensitive to hot and acidic foods. I have no doubt the issue is due to the plastic fillings. Plus, I take very accurate notes on my diary, because I think just like you.

xploit316

Update: Not much help with cutting down the weight. Lowered carbs to around 200 grams per day (Cant go lower else feel very lethargic) but the weight didn't budge, especially the fat around waist and abdomen area.

On another note, I was watching a latest interview of Ronaldo Nazzario, ex football great from Brazil. He retired early in 2011 because of Hypothyroidism. 13 years later with all doctors, nutritionists and medications at his disposal, dude doesn't look he has dropped weight at all to what he looked at his onset . I suspect weight loss, especially for Hypothyroid patients is next to impossible.

I hope adding adding youtube video link is allowed on PR forum.

lenora

I hope that I didn't already write this. I checked into waist and upper abdominal weight gain as much as possible.

Believe it or not, the biggest reason is menopause...the years after that are a feast for fat cells. I feel lucky that it didn't really hit me until I was over 70, but no, that doesn't help anything. I have lowered my food as much as possible, especially since I have heart disease and a number of other problems in addition to ME. Before this I could be described as skinny....now it seems that deposits are regularly made!

I don't know your ages, so this is another possibility. Shouldn't grandmothers be big around the middle anyway? Frustrating, I know. Yours, Lenora

lenora

Hi Strawberry......I think menopause is a big factor only b/c I began mine at age 40 (slightly before) and was OKwith weight (at least it would come and GO), until I stumbled into my 70's. I was still having most symptoms of menopause and then I started gaining weight around my waist. The rest of me is still fairly thin.

I'm also pre-diabetic, so perhaps that plays into it. I wonder how many of the women stay thin in their 70's smoke and drink endless cups of coffee? Perhaps not....perhaps exercise is the key as I don't do that anymore. Getting around the house is more than enough. Well, you know.....my husband prepares meals, good, nutritious ones as I just can't any longer.

So I'll never be svelte anymore. Genetics plays a role, I'm convinced. Perhaps that's the biggest combined with menopause....who knows? I also have osteoporosis, things my mother had. We know the brain changes with menopause, hormones do also. Anyway, my grandkids have handles to hold onto. Yours, Lenora